Sheffield Pubs - decent beer in a proper pub?

Can anyone recommend me some good pubs city centre-ish. Sheffield really lacks decent pubs as far as I can tell, especially in the city centre (where there just don't sem to even be any!), so can anyone tell me otherwise.

I'm after somewhere where you can get decent beer in a proper pub i.e a pub that doesn't think it is a bar or a nightclub, no tellies in every corner, no gangs of 50 identically dressed blokes drinking bottled stella, no ganmgs of ironic students.

I was thinking along the lines of Kelham Island's fat cat - is there anything else like that anywhere at all?!

Even Eccleshall road only has about 4 pubs the entire length of it, and they are all cacjk as well - help me!

The Devonshire Cat (I think that's right) is below the Unite accomodation building. They sell a large range of international beers if you are interested in that. Otherwise there is a small "local" pub next door to JD Wetherspoon at the the end of Division Street (opposite Cole Brothers side entrance).

I'm sure someone else knows more than this, but hope it helps.

PS. Check the Links page and follow the link to Sheffield Pub Guide

Originally posted by "theflyingfish"

Can anyone recommend me some good pubs city centre-ish. Sheffield really lacks decent pubs as far as I can tell, especially in the city centre (where there just don't sem to even be any!), so can anyone tell me otherwise.

I was thinking along the lines of Kelham Island's fat cat - is there anything else like that anywhere at all?!

Well off the top of my head there's :

2 Wetherspoons pubs (Banker Draft and the one next to Coles.)

The Devonshire Cat (off Devonshire green and I believe is associated with the Fat Cat)

The pub on Orchard Square isn't too bad (Can't remember its name)

If you want 'proper' back street pubs try any of :

The Grapes, The Dog and Partridge, The Red Deer, The Bath, or Fagans.

Oh, and the Brown Bear can be um, er, 'interesting'.

HTH

Nomme

the devonshire cat, whetgherspoons and the hog's head ain orcghard sqyuare are the ubiquitous crappy chain pubs though, aren't they? I will try out the bath hotel and red deer, but where are the decent pubs?!!!

You need to give us more of an idea to what "decent" means? Do you want a bar with minimalistic styling and design (Bar Coast etc) or maybe a smaller, more traditional pub? Sheffield has everything to offer, you just need to look around.

geoff, I mean a smaller more traditional pub. Think what most people mean by a "traditional typical British Pub". Sadly, a truly typical british pub these days is nothing like the romantic idea of the jumper wearing beardies. But that is what I am after...

make sense?

Yes I understand. Like I said, there are a couple of "traditional" pubs in the centre of town. One is a couple of doors down from JD Whetherspoons on Division street and there is another one on the other side of Cole Brothers. I haven't personally been in to either, but they certainely look like "traditional" pubs ;)

I think the high land price/rates in the centre has made it "chain pub" heaven or hell (depending on your preference). Whenever I go out to the Peaks I always find it nice to be back in an old English pub, something slightly(!) more homely about it all.

:)

Originally posted by "theflyingfish"

the devonshire cat, whetgherspoons and the hog's head ain orcghard sqyuare are the ubiquitous crappy chain pubs though, aren't they? I will try out the bath hotel and red deer, but where are the decent pubs?!!!

I don't think the Devonshire cat is a "ubiquitous crappy chain pub", but then again it's not somewhere I'd call a 'local'.

If you're going to try "the bath" and the "red deer" you might like to try "The Washington" - it's just a bit further on from the Devonshire Cat.

It's owned (I believe) by a member of 'Pulp' who has promised never to change it!

Oh - just remembered "The Rutland Arms" on Brown St. Not actually been in it myslef but have heard good reports about it.

Good luck in your quest - let us know how you get on!!

Nomme

Get yourself down to the Dog and Partridge on Trippets Lane, Its a traditional Irish Pub ( Not like These plasticy irish pubs Scruffy Murphys etc) with a great pint of Guiness, you may even catch a few guys playing a few traditional folk tunes and free pork pie on the bar.

Other than that the Red Deer

Rutland Arms is as close as you're going to get in the town centre, I'm afraid - very nice staff.

But if it's real ales you're after, the Devonshire Cat is your best bet. Get past the "new" furniture and abundance of "light" and "glass", and you may enjoy yourself.

Either that or go to the snug at the Gardeners' Rest...

there's some great ideas there, thansk very much! It's a bit of a shame that they are all a bus ride away from where I live, but at least I'll be able to get the beer scooter home.

I will post on my research after the weekend!

Well you never told us where you live, give us a cue and we may be able to recommend more