'Farm' in Crosspool - history?

Hi I wondered if anybody knew anything about that little farm near The Sportsman in Crosspool. Its the one with the monkey puzzle tree in the front garden. I remember going with my dad to buy eggs from the old lady that lived there prob 25 years ago! She used to invite us in and sit us down to chat with a cup of tea and homemade biscuits. Do they still keep hens/sell eggs?

I'm surprised they havent sold up for development.

I think that's Moorview farm. The house dates from the 1850's, though the farm is much older. It's been empty for some years I think.

In Judith Hanson's book 'Crosspool' there is a photo of Moor View farm complete with monkey puzzle tree. There is also a photo of Mrs Gosney feeding her chickens....taken in 1979.

I had completely forgotten about that farm but now, I recall it well. I used to walk/cycle past it to a friend's new house built about 1959 at the top of Den Bank Drive/Crescent/Ave???

Does anybody know whats happening to it if anything? I've found out that a planning applicaion for resi development has previously beenn rejected

The recent history of Moorview Farm on the Manchester Road is a sad one. The main building is in a sorry state and the out buildings are delapidated. The farm remains (as we undestand it) the property of the Gosney family but is presently unoccupied. Until fairly recently Miss Gosney lived there and all locally bought eggs from her and enjoyed her company. Her health has sadly deteriorated and she is we believe in a nursing home. I believe her brother is a farmer in Oxfordshire. We have no contact details for the family. Some 20 years ago her flock of geese would wake us every morning. At least one planning request has been attempted but possibly fails because of an underground river which runs downhill under the field!

The recent history of Moorview Farm on the Manchester Road is a sad one. The main building is in a sorry state and the out buildings are delapidated. The farm remains (as we undestand it) the property of the Gosney family but is presently unoccupied. Until fairly recently Miss Gosney lived there and all locally bought eggs from her and enjoyed her company. Her health has sadly deteriorated and she is we believe in a nursing home. I believe her brother is a farmer in Oxfordshire. We have no contact details for the family. Some 20 years ago her flock of geese would wake us every morning. At least one planning request has been attempted but possibly fails because of an underground river which runs downhill under the field!

Sadly Mary died recently. I am a close neighbour and knew her for many years.

RIP Mary, it was a pleasure to know you.

Edited by andrejuan

Sadly Mary died recently. I am a close neighbour and new her for many years.

RIP Mary, it was a pleasure to know you.

How sad I used to fetch eggs from her Mum and Mary a lovely lady. I was once told she had been engaged to Patrick McGoohan the actor from Prisoner fame but I don't know how true that was. When you walk past you can just visualise how it once was pre housing theres even a little style in the wall.

Recently went to a talk with Peter Allis his family had a small holding which was at the top of Stephen Hill opposite the Sportsman pub I believe.

The farm is at last being restored. Jaguar estates are putting 5 new houses on the site and as well as restoring the farm, the barn will be residential too.

Other developers tried to put as many as 20 houses on the site after demolishing the lovely old farm.

This is a great picture showing the farm in it's hey day. On the left is my house when it was the last one on the street.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29v03877%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOU1vb3IlMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JTNCQU5EJTNCYWxsJTNCTUFUQ0hFUyUzQiUyOCU1RSU3QyslMkIlMjl2aWV3JTI4JTI0JTdDKyUyQiUyOSZhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNoJm9wZXJhdGlvbj1BTkQmcGFnZT00

When Anna and Mark had "The Plough" on Sandygate Road (6 or 7 years ago), Mary used to call in most days, late morning, walking her little old dog. The staff would make her a coffee or a tea (free of charge) and some water for the dog. Once they had a rest and a cuppa, they would carry on back to the house.

In Judith Hanson's book 'Crosspool' there is a photo of Moor View farm complete with monkey puzzle tree. There is also a photo of Mrs Gosney feeding her chickens....taken in 1979.

The old lady died a couple of years ago and the house has been sold, it is currently undergoing a big rebuild.

---------- Post added 24-04-2014 at 15:38 ----------

The farm is no longer , the house and land have been sold just recently with a refurb in process