Motivations and attitudes in charity giving!

Also, I read somewhere that some charities are recruiting (e.g. students) to collect for them, which means a substantial percentage of what you give goes on their wages.

Although I still believe the charities still get more than if they don't take this route.

I give up my time to help out, instead of giving money... First of all, I don't really have the money to give away (being a student and all) and secondly, If I were to give any, how could I be sure that it actually got to where it should have been going??

Thats why I volunteer... I've helped out at the Children's hospital and also at a primary school... :)

Similar threads merged.

Originally posted by zxczxc

Also, I read somewhere that some charities are recruiting (e.g. students) to collect for them, which means a substantial percentage of what you give goes on their wages.

Whoa... as this is currently a hot topic of debate at the moment I thought I'd best clarify..

In the main, if you see a student collecting for a charity with a bucket or collecting tin, then I can pretty much guarantee that they are doing it voluntarily as part of their uni/college Rag group...

The clipboard brigade asking for direct debits or those who tend to come round pubs at night are usually paid collectors or "chuggers" as they've become known..

Most student rags are getting more and more hacked off at people telling them they're being paid when in fact they're not so hopefully that's corrected any misunderstandings there..

:)

Originally posted by pheedom

5) Would you rather donate to animal or human related charities?

I was watching a program the other day and did you know that the RSPCA (Royal society for prevention of cruelty to animals) receive more money per year than the NSPCC (National society for prevention of cruelty to chlidren) :loopy:

that pished me off actually

i'm gonna start a thread!

i do give to charity, all different ones, i do three days volunteering at cancer research too, and would like to say we get so many clothes its great, thanks anyone who donates :)

mimi

x

> 1) Do you donate to charity?

Yes.

> 2) If YES, who to and how and why to your chosen charity?

Ocassionally lose the shrapnel in a charity box. Ocassionally buy 'The Big Issue' (does that count??). Depending on where I am and how I'm feeling I will put money in a box if stuffed under my nose. I will pretty much always sponsor someone if asked (regardless of the cause). I organised a small backgammon tournament the other day to raise some cash for Jessops baby care unit. Some friends have had call to use there services recently. I will always give to cancer related charities and the RNLI.

> 3) If no, why not?

N/A

> 4) Using 3 words how does donating make you feel?

Sad. Dunno. When I really think about it the whole concept of charities really depresses me.

> 5) Would you rather donate to animal or human related charities?

Human.

> Please could you also just indicated your gender and age (approx)

Male, over 21 but less than 40.

> Thanks, its for my dissertation research, thanks in advance!

Good luck with it.

!) yes i do

2)Cancer research, have lost a lot of people i know to it.

RNIB, my grandma was blind.

RNLI, comes from being brought up by the sea (i think)

National Trust- am a member.

Also when i have a clear out it goes to St Lukes Hospice. My mum works for the one in Grimsby, St Andrews as volunteer organiser.

And the lottery occasionally (seems odd putting that on but i bet most people have forgotten)

Always donate to poppy appeal

3) n/a

4) Should not be needed. (4 sorry)

5) Human

Age 34 female

Good luck

1) Do you donate to charity?

Yes but only to charity not to people directly (though im open for offers of charity)

2) If YES, who to and how and why to your chosen charity?

Dont have a particular one-I like to spread the love.

Last time was some money for breast cancer awareness as my grandma recently died from it

3) If no, why not?

Not applicable im not that tight

4) Using 3 words how does donating make you feel?

Bit less guilty

Im a sofite for animals, as they cant help themselves but that doesnt mean I value animals over humans

Please could you also just indicated your gender and age (approx)

Female 20!

Yes

Done a few sponsored events for various charities including an abseil for Cancer Research.

Donated a fair few quid through collection boxes etc.

3) If no, why not?

N/A

I find this irrelevant, it shouldn't be about how it makes you feel.

Human.

23/Male

yes

I donate a monthly amount to the NSPCC (I’d give any amount of money to help children), every month I alternate the donations between RSPCA (the actual centre in Sheffield & not the charity centre) & PUP (prevent unwanted pets), any change (1p’s to £1) I get in shops goes in the collection box (if one), I’ll give change to people with boxes on the street, I donate to help a hallam child, children in need & comic relief. I’ve taken part in sport relief, I’ve done quite a bit of charity work from making Christmas boxes for 3rd world children, to packing medical supplies on to planes (people say charity begins at home but the way I see it is that the 1st world (us) that caused 3rd world debt so we should pay for it & at least help to make a difference). I also do a lot of absails for RNIB (theirs one coming up on sat 19th a June at SUFC Bramall Lane if anyone’s interested PM me); I do this cus it’s a real buzz & a fun way to make money. I also organise bring & buys & garage sales, any money from those go to one of the hospitals in Sheffield, I send any unwanted items to charity shops, I also shop at charity shops sometimes.

3) If no, why not?

N/A

No different

both

Please could you also just indicated your gender and age (approx)

I’m female & I’m 20 y/o

Originally posted by pheedom

Another question....For those who donate clothes etc to charity shops.....would you shop there too?

Yup certainly do....... in fact,worth giving the childrens society shop in hillsborough a plug, they sell counterfiet designer clothes that have been donated to them by trading standards.

so you can get that trendy look at a fraction of the price and help the kids at the same time.

i also support the childrens hospital