Queens Road Bus Lane Fine

Whatever happened to the highway code rule KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING?

By staying in the regular lane you hold up traffic behind you - particularly if someone in the lane wants to turn right - or you force traffic to undertake.

Its attitudes like this which are the cause of the congestion on roads.

So you never drive in the RHL down Sheaf Street past the station then?

Oh no, not this again.

Because people are allowed to use them, they don't have to. Besides, if you are correctly using a bus lane, I doubt that the people not incorrectly not using it are really annoying you, because the road ahead is all the clearer. :huh:

I'm not sure who taught you to drive, but you should use the correct lane, which is often the 'bus lane', when it's outside the enforcement time. The right hand lane is for overtaking or turning right.

So you never drive in the RHL down Sheaf Street past the station then?

Nope because I don't live in Sheffield and when I do come to town I don't go down Sheaf Street.

However, I DO read the signs on bus lanes and drive in them when I'm allowed to do so. Passing idiots tootling along in the outside lane who start to get really bad road rage because someone is getting past them!

The funniest part is when you approach a set of lights on red. You've got about a dozen cars all sat in the outside lane, so you just slide past them in the inside and straight through!

I'm not sure who taught you to drive, but you should use the correct lane, which is often the 'bus lane', when it's outside the enforcement time. The right hand lane is for overtaking or turning right.

Agreed, but it is also often the RHL as well, 134 of the higway code applies.

I do use bus lanes when available, if it is the correct lane. The dig was uncalled for.

When a bus lane becomes available, making a road a multi-lane carriageway, it should be trated like any other multi-lane carriageway, like Sheaf Street for example. You don't see all the traffic sat in the LHL on Sheaf Street, most drivers have positioned themselves according to where they are going at the roundabout.

You got caught cutting in early.

Such is life.

I do it too. If I get caught, I'll pay the fine.

I might not do it on Queens Road now I know the cameras are working, so thanks for that.

Agreed, its unfortunate and probably processed automatically by computer so there is no human intervention or leniency.

Is there any chance you could say there was a car in front blocking the way and you cut into the lane to get round?

Bus lane contraventions are recorded by an operator on CCTV cameras. A video clip of the contravention is kept and a still photo taken from the clip is sent out with the penalty notice. so, you wouldn't get away with saying you were obstructed if you actually weren't.

Enforcing authorities are usualy quite fair about issuing penalties, if there is any doubt at all, they usually only ticket if the driver was attempting to gain an advantage over drivers who are complying with the rules, or they obstruct a bus.

I believe you can ask to see the video clip.

Oh no, not this again.

Because people are allowed to use them, they don't have to. Besides, if you are correctly using a bus lane, I doubt that the people not incorrectly not using it are really annoying you, because the road ahead is all the clearer. :huh:

It does annoy me actually, especially when there is a single carriagewy leading to to the double lane but no one dare go in the bus lane evne though they are allowed to. This causes congestion and prevents other road uses from making progress until they reach the two lanes.

A perfect example of this is on heading into town on the appraoch to Hunters Bar roundabout.

Cars going straight down Ecclesall Road always stay in the right hand lane instead of using the middle lane to go straight on. The congestion caused by this can stretch all the was back to Carterknowle Road.

What annoys me are people that don't use the bus lanes when they are not in force and instead will sit in lines of traffic. They don't bother to read the times it's in force shown on the bus lane.

Quite right, do people ever read road signs? no then they moan about getting fined

It does annoy me actually, especially when there is a single carriagewy leading to to the double lane but no one dare go in the bus lane evne though they are allowed to. This causes congestion and prevents other road uses from making progress until they reach the two lanes.

A perfect example of this is on heading into town on the appraoch to Hunters Bar roundabout.

Cars going straight down Ecclesall Road always stay in the right hand lane instead of using the middle lane to go straight on. The congestion caused by this can stretch all the was back to Carterknowle Road.

I am tempted to agree with you over this stretch of road, but it's nonsense to suggest that avoiding this small 20yd stretch results in congestion back to Carterknowle Road.

On this particular stretch I used to use the middle lane all the time, but now I stay in the queue with everybody else. Perhaps I'm just getting old and more careful. However, I suspect that most people don't use it simply because they know it's single file as soon as they come off the roundabout. I guess the most drivers simply choose not to add the stress of moving out of line for a few yards, only to wait or force back in, just to save 5 car lengths. Thinking about it, merging ahead of the roundabout whilst decelerating, rather than just after whilst accelerating, or on the roundabout itself, could actually ease congestion and be safer. :huh:

Anyway, if it wasn't a bus lane at all, it was always two lanes that merged into one at the exit of a roundabout, I bet you'd find the same 'annoying' behaviour of people taking it in turn.

I believe this stretch of road is a perminent bus lane still but will be removed in the next planned alterations.

I got let off for speeding on the Parkway on Saturday so one persons misfortune is another ones good luck!! :)

Its only a £30, get it paid and move on, gutted for you but hey ho, they've got us by the short and curlies.

Got a fine through today.

Am absolutely gutted because I never drive in bus lanes, I think I must have just caught the last yard of it as I changed lanes where it ends.

On the photograph of it you can make out that it is just right where the lane finishes!!!

It seems really unfair that they fine someone for encroaching it by so little when you see drivers just tearing all the way down it every morning.

I thought of appealing but it says the punishment for an unsuccessful appeal is 3x the fine. It looks like technically I just about entered the lane but that is really mean!!!

So where exactly on Queens Road was this?