Sheffield Half Marathon 2011 - Megathread

Well done, that's brilliant timing. That link (first one) doesn't work for me. The official photos are still not up.

Yeah, because it was my first post, it won't let me post the full link, so just remove the spaces around the www bit :-)

Massive well done to everyone that completed the half marathon.

This may help some of you.

We have a deal on our website today for a 1hr 15 minute SPORTS MASSAGE. She is based right next to Hillsborough Park.

Its £15 instead of £40.

http://www.sheffielddealoftheday.co.uk/index.php/frontend/campaigns/single/122/15-instead-of-40-for-a-1hr-15-Sports-Massage-63-Saving-One-Therapies

This may help some weary legs!!!!!!

I was 2hrs 28 and sat down at the finish line for a few minutes to send a few texts and make some calls, then did some stretching, then walked over to where the t-shirts and drinks were and got my running bottle topped up, a t-shirt (medium) and the 'goodie' bag, and that must have been long after you finished at 2hrs 20.:confused: As I left the stadium about 30 mins later (met up with some friends, chatted and cheered on runners as they were finishing) I saw some of the staff getting more boxes out of the stockroom, so I assume that they were more t-shirts? Given that 5,500 entered and 4,500 completed, even if they under order slightly on the basis that not all who enter will take part/complete, they should have had enough?

I was 2hr30, not 20, so was a little after you. Had a chat with a few people at work today. I hear that its that the XL size went really quickly, as a few people didn't get one. :( I think they just got the sizing quantities wrong :(

I suspect they left a box or more of t-shirts in the back of the stands knowing well over 500, possibly almost 1000, registered runners hadn't started.

When I got back at 2:42 the last t-shirts available were large, but by the time I'd removed my chip they'd all gone. An old friend who was on duty (not sure what his official role was) came over to congratulate me on finishing (!) and went to see what was happening. 10 minutes later he brought over a medium shirt from a box they'd just brought out.

As I walked out I was speaking to a group who were talking about t-shirts. They were all girls and hadn't been able to get medium shirts so had taken large. We made an exchange.

There seem to be 3 possible explanations and it may be a combination of all 3. 1. They may have under ordered. 2. They didn't bring the stock they had out in time. 3. They didn't order the right sizes.

Whatever, the large red goodie was excellent - if you have a use for it. Did anyone else get more in it than a Bluebell Wood Hospice emblem, a very welcome fruity nut bar, a medal and a discount voucher? Maybe all the rest of the contents had also run out with the missing t-shirts by the time I got there? Never mind, it's a long time since I went to children's parties and we never got goodie bags in those days!

Nevertheless, those of us at the back of the field, who really struggle to even finish, would appreciate it if we weren't overlooked after the elite have all gone home:-)

Good run though, thighs know they've done some work today - knocked 12 minutes off last year's time. Next year.....................I know 2:30 sounds easy to most participants, but it isn't for some of us!!

Nevertheless, those of us at the back of the field, who really struggle to even finish, would appreciate it if we weren't overlooked after the elite have all gone home:-)

Good run though, thighs know they've done some work today - knocked 12 minutes off last year's time. Next year.....................I know 2:30 sounds easy to most participants, but it isn't for some of us!!

I agree! I'm aiming for 2.25 next year. :) Not impressive by a lot of standards, but it is to me! :)

I was 2hr30, not 20, so was a little after you. Had a chat with a few people at work today. I hear that its that the XL size went really quickly, as a few people didn't get one. :( I think they just got the sizing quantities wrong :(

Sorry, my mistake, a typo.

No it ain't, it's hard bloody work and that last 3 miles is a killer. And the Sheffield one is quite an easy route I feel, hardly any inclines given its overall terrain. My quads ache, I've just done a spinning class to stop me from seizing up.

Edited by Suffragette1

Hi all,

I know some of you missed out on the Sheffield Half, but if any of you are considering entering the 10K in October, Macmillan is looking for runners to enter the Race and run for TEAM Macmillan.

If you're interested either drop me a message or going to the macmillan website and searching for Great Yorkshire Run

I wanted to post early as if you're like me, then you'd need to start trainiing although I might might wait until after a sunny holiday :-)

Rob

I would love to take your place and reimburse you with a little extra to show my gratitude.

Thank you

Anyone looking for another one of Sheffields better races such as the Shef Half - look no further than then TENTENTEN on October 30th now in its second year in Endcliffe park.

http://www.sheffield10k.com