Choosing a name for a Baby Boy

My boy is Erik - Rich, Brave, Strong.

I've always liked Peregrine and Merlin. Great names both.

Fetishfairy, I LOVE your signature! It is quite unique!

Oh yeah, and I love Merlin too... full of mystery and magical powers.

I love Merlin too- she's ginger and white and very very furry (and she's named after the Rolls Royce engine, not the magician) and thanks to a lovely cardiologist and her pills, she has today found her purr again, after several weeks without.

But doh! That wasn't what the thread was about! Just trying to say that yes, Merlin's a lovely name, but the kid will take a bit of stick for it.

Connor, Jack or Tanis

All children should be given a number, until such time that they're old enough and wise enough to choose the name that they wish to be known by, in my humble opinion.

Too many fond parents have blighted the formative years of their adored offspring by saddling them with a name that, although it may at the time have sounded modern, or unusual, or was chosen as a mark of respect to a relative, all too often is mocked, or abbreviated and perhaps coupled with a topical item or personality and frequently used in a derogatory sense by their peers.

As my suggestion is hardly likely to be adopted, the least you can do for the poor defenceless little beggars, is to give them a minimum of three to four christian names. As they grow up, they can then pick the most appropriate one to be called, one that suits them personally.

This has to be an improvement on being stuck with the one that was popular at the time, was gaelic for 'valour', was the name of a member of the band that you followed, or was a made-up one concocted to be different and unique... They may even thank you for your consideration one day... That's if they're still speaking civily to you by the time they reach their teens, of course! ;)

When having our son, I really liked Reuben James as a name. The most popular names in my school at the moment (and therefore ones to avoid IMO) are Harry, Jack and George.

My son's name is Joseph. I picked it so that he could shorten it it to Joe, a little more streetwise, which of course he has done. :lol:

It also handy for letting him know when I'm annoyed, as his full name gets bellowed up the stairs. ;)

Typically, he's seen the list of names I compiled when I was expecting, and tells me he wishes I'd picked 'Ethan' instead. I've never met anyone who was 100% happy with the name their parents chose for them. :rolleyes:

I've got three boys.

William Joseph, gets shortened to Will Usually

Christopher James

and

Robert Joshua, he is always called Bertie tho, and I have never met another Bertie yet. We chose Robert because when we asked the other two what they would want to call the baby, they said Bertie after Bertie the bus! Robert was the only name we liked that could be shortened to Bertie.

George, Jack, Sam, Harry and Connor are all really common at school at the moment.

Good Luck!

Vanessa

I kinda like Lucien - but then again I have been told I have odd taste in names before *blush*

Originally posted by medusa666

I love Merlin too- she's ginger and white and very very furry (and she's named after the Rolls Royce engine, not the magician) ... Merlin's a lovely name, but the kid will take a bit of stick for it.

'tis true, but that's true of lots of names. I think even the magician and the engine are named after the bird.