Does Science Make God Impossible? - Tomorow @ 6pm!

Im sure you are some sort of world class philosopher when you're sat at home on your computer, who isnt. You can even answer your own questions! Wow

Unless you make the time, you will never find it.

If you cant come and speak face to face then we'll leave it at that, dont attempt to be an 'internet' philosopher like every tom, dick and harry. I could voice record and post the talk on here but if you have any follow up questions, I wont be in a position to answer them as well as the speaker. You can watch his talks / contact him at http://www.adamdeen.com

On the contrary. I just ask questions as they occur to me. I don't claim to have answers. It shouldn't matter to your speaker what medium the questions are asked in. In fact this medium is better if (s)he wants serious discussion as it allows points to be developed; something I've never known happen in a q&a session at the end of a lecture.

I would love to know the secret of 'making time' though. I live a thirty minute drive from my job, and forty minutes from the lecture theatre. I finish work at 6. My child gets upset if she doesn't see daddy before she goes to bed. Do tell me how I can make time to attend a lecture at 6.

When I now how to make time, I will chose not to waste it on this Adam Deen chap.

The chap who says things like

"If we all end up dead it doesn’t matter if you behaved like Stalin"

isn't worth any of my time.

Sheffielders - save yourself the bother of going to listen to him. You can read all you need to here http://skepticat.wordpress.com/2009/05/24/adam-deen-again/

I've just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading one of this Deem chap's 'papers'.

Now granted he has a very poor hand to play as he is pitting his argument (surmised "I really want there to be a God so I'll set out to prove it) against the huge weight and volume of evidence-based and peer supported scientific evidence produced by people whose only aim is to find the truth, whatever it may be.

That said, the poor hand he has, he plays really, really badly.

I read the response the an article David Attenborough had in the Guardian a year or so ago - an article I read at the time. He doesn't address the key issue at all, as it is unanswerable.

The key quote from that article is this

My response is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind. And [i ask them], 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy

And your man who is talking about goodness knows what tomorrow doesn't even mention it in his response.

This Deem chap cannot be taken seriously as a thinker, as the trite title suggests.

USIC - I presume you attended last night?

Sadly you didn't get back to me in time to tell me how I could make it - any chance you could give us an overview of the main points?

USIC - I presume you attended last night?

Sadly you didn't get back to me in time to tell me how I could make it - any chance you could give us an overview of the main points?

It's on right now!

6pm @ Medical School (next to Hallamshire hospital) Thursday 24th Feb!

Maybe someone there could tweet the gist of it?

Maybe someone there could tweet the gist of it?

Just search for Adam Deen on Google/YouTube, he's a well known Islamic apologist who likes to regurgitate William Lane Craig's Kalam/First cause nonsense.

The talk went really well, he did a great job of proving how irrational it is to not believe in God. More than 100 people came!

Im in the process of getting the audio recording which should be available soon

The talk went really well, he did a great job of proving how irrational it is to not believe in God.

I didn't think faith was a matter of rationality?

Did he address the subject of the talk at all?

Yes he showed how atheism is completely based on FAITH as well, in things which science also can not prove. He really did a great job! And yes he did address the subject of the talk

Guest sibon
The talk went really well, he did a great job of proving how irrational it is to not believe in God. More than 100 people came!

Im in the process of getting the audio recording which should be available soon

How did he prove that?

Did he provide any empirical evidence? Anything testable by an independent body?

Please post his evidence, I'd be fascinated to read it.

Edited by sibon

When I have the audio, I will post a link on here

Is the audio of the full lecture ?

Guest sibon

Just post the evidence. That will suffice.