Abbey Grange Nursing Home

My hubbies nan is due to go in this nursing home next Friday, Just wondered if any of you or your family/friends have used this nursing home & what the care is like in here. Someone has mentioned to me there was an article in the Star about this care home recently, although i never read it, i could have just possibly missed it or it was in when i was away a few weeks ago.

Views or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Beamer x

I think Abbey Grange was well-known for all the wrong reasons a while ago, but it has recently been taken over by a new company, so stuff like this, and any of the other past criticisms, are probably now irrelevant

Thank you for the link, it looks quite nice to be honest.

Beamer x

My hubbies nan is due to go in this nursing home next Friday, Just wondered if any of you or your family/friends have used this nursing home & what the care is like in here. Someone has mentioned to me there was an article in the Star about this care home recently, although i never read it, i could have just possibly missed it or it was in when i was away a few weeks ago.

Views or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Beamer x

If you have to make an appointment to view then forget it. You should be able to drop in at any time of the day, up to probably supper time as this is the most busiest time of day and expect to be shown round, if they have nothing to hide this wont be a problem. A lot to of Nursing Homes get bad press sometimes but you have to go and see for yourself, talk to other families and make your own mind up. I work at an EMI nursing home so I know how things work. Hope you get somewhere nice for your nan.

Edited by doyle

If you have to make an appointment to view then forget it. You should be able to drop in at any time of the day, up to probably supper time as this is the most busiest time of day and expect to be shown round, if they have nothing to hide this wont be a problem. A lot to of Nursing Homes get bad press sometimes but you have to go and see for yourself, talk to other families and make your own mind up. I work at an EMI nursing home so I know how things work. Hope you get somewhere nice for your nan.

Thank you for this advise doyle, I don't know of anyone who's relative has been a resident in this care home, I was hoping for alittle more input and views this thread. Oh well suppose it will be down to " lets hope the right nursing home has been chosen" i suppose.

Beamer x

Hi Beamer,

My MIL is currently a resident at Abbey Grange, We have found the staff very friendly and willing to help. MIL has settled in very well and is happy.

As stated above it did have a bad reputation at one time but the home has now been bought by a company called Country Court Care. Some of the home is undergoing refurbishment to allow for some of the rooms to become en-suite and other areas more up to date.

Like other people have advised, go and have a look round, no need for an appointment.

I hope your Husbands nan settles in well.

The best bet is to just turn up and see how welcoming the staff are-first impressions do go a long way! I would however say to avoid a lunch or tea time-these are very busy times for staff when they are serving meals, sometimes feeding residents and giving out medication. I would not thank anyone for giving me a cold meal because someone wanted a look round! - just a tip thats all!

Do look at the CSCi reports-there should be one in the home and you are ok to ask to look at it. Speak to the other residents to-they will be very honest and tell you if they are happy there or not.

Ask how many vacancies they have-a good home will always have a waiting list of people to get in but often the 'turnover' increases at this time of year if you know what I mean.

Hope all goes well in your search-let us know how you get on!

mumsy

Abbey Grange Nursing Home is excellent and I would recommend it highly. The Nurses and Staff "CARE" and this makes all the difference. It's the residents home and they are treated with dignity and respect 10/10...

Every home has to have a report which rates them on all aspects of care from food to activities, these are available for anyone to see in each home. When we looked for one for my grandad I checked each one out, interesting reading because you can see what areas need attention and where they excel. I also think if it smells when you go in...walk away! We went to Balmoral at Woodhouse and the residential part stank rancid.:gag:

My other half works at this nursing/residential home and is constantly saying how much praise family members and other outside agencies give them. They were in the star about some money that was being taken by the previous managers. The home was taken over so i would say there is nothing to worry about :) hope the move goes well

Hello, i highly recommend Abbey Grange, my granddad was a resident at this home for 2 years untill he sadly passed.

Never had a problem, the staff are fantastic and always welcoming, you get to know them and there are very friendly, they do care about the residents and make there stay as comfortable as possible!

I visited twice a week with my little girl, due to living on corner and can always say the home is always spotless and is currently been done up for the residents to have bigger rooms with en suit bathrooms! And they have just had a brand new sitting and dining room built!

Deffo go and take a look around and you will see for your self :-)