Was Broomhall ever a "good" area

Somali youths are prepared to be violent (KNIVES) to have their way in terms of controlling/policing their own neighbourhood but I walk and cycle through there often and have never had a problem.

There's plenty of areas where you'll find the idiot element amongst the "yoofs" tooled up:- black, white, Somali, Pakistani....

and, yeah It doesn't bother me one jot pootling around here or in broomhall.

couldn't agree more i wish i could pick one of these houses up from firth park rd or burngreave rd and carry it to ecclesfield on my back - away from the squalor !

Well, I live in one of those houses on Firth Park Road, and there's no squalor in sight, thank you!

The trouble with your post is that it is too near the truth for the comfort of the lefty do-gooders

Out of interest, Bassman, what's the opposite of a so-called "lefty do-gooder"?

just wondering.

With regard to the comment by Fareast, I lived within very close proxinity of Havelock Square in the thirties, forties, fifties, and sixties, and can assure you there were not families living there who had live in servants, many were poor and had to take in lodgers to try and make ends meet.I had many school pals from the area and they certainly did not have servants of any kind.

Out of interest' date=' Bassman, what's the opposite of a so-called "lefty do-gooder"?just wondering.[/quote']

If you have to ask such a question it would be a waste of my time trying to educate you.

If you have to ask such a question it would be a waste of my time trying to educate you.

Obviously I do know.

I was merely pointing it out to you since you, clearly, hadn't thought it through.

No worries.

"In 1791 [broom Hall] was owned by the reverend James Wilkinson, vicar of Sheffield, when it was attacked and set on fire by a mob rioting against the Enclosure of land act."

Clearly, it's always been a dodgy area.

"In 1791 [broom Hall] was owned by the reverend James Wilkinson, vicar of Sheffield, when it was attacked and set on fire by a mob rioting against the Enclosure of land act."

Clearly, it's always been a dodgy area.

Yes indeedy - imagine those selfish peasants having the temerity to object when wealthy landowners were stealing all the common land and pushing them further into poverty!

So, was Broomhall once an up and coming affluent area populated by middle class professionals who were proud of their little front garden and bay window or am I just an incurable romantic? Or were these lovely houses actually doss houses full of drunks and strumpets???

Mels Mum you can read a bit about the area in the conservation area appraisal at this link. http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/planning-and-city-development/urban-design--conservation/conservation/conservationareas/broomhall

Hi

OUR Broomhall:

We have recently started a new community history project about the history of Broomhall area and its people. We will be creating a new book, exhibition and book about the area and it would be great if any of you with memories or old photos of the area could get involved. We will be looking to interview people to create short clips for our website etc or you can attend our Wed afternoon drop in from 2-5pm at the Broomhall Centre on Broomspring Lane. Or contact me below if you have a story to share or a photo to contribute. Our launch event is this Saturday at the Broomhall Centre from 3-8pm - all welcome!

Jennie Beard

Project Manager

Our Broomhall

The Broomhall Centre

Broomspring Lane

Broomhall

Sheffield

S10 2FD

Email: ourbroomhall@gmail.com

Tel: 07810162146

Does anyone remember the "classical" houses on Broomhall Place? They consisted of a row with stone frontages (brick built behind) and with porticos including Doric columns and they were next to the house called Sunny Bank. I believe they might even date back to the 1830s, built as fashionable residences for aspiring middle class professionals. I managed to get some photographs before they were demolished (and I think the stone has been reused). They were replaced by the row of houses put up by a housing association and the central gable incorporates the name stone from the original build.

It was clearly once a monied area. I walked through it a couple of years ago, and was struck by the magnificent houses, and wide leafy streets. There's even a beautiful, long low farm house (could it be Broom Hall?)

I too daydreamed about what it must have been like back in the day. I think the explanation of the steel industry, and Sheffield's rapid expansion, thus turning an outlying suburb into an inner city area,makes perfect sense.