Rolling Mill request from a Yank

They make it look so easy, don't they? I remember watching an episode of Time Team a few years ago where the archeologists were watching handrollers with a bar, and were offered the chance to 'av a gu'. They stepped forward with confidence, obviously thinking they were going to show the men a thing or two, and were nearly dragged into the rollers before they'd even started! :D There was much hilarity amongst the bystanders and the verdict was that they'd not 'framed' very well. As one of the rollers said "What dus tha reckon we're gonna be able to do wi that now, lad?"

I've found and uploaded you the classic clip of Phil Harding being dragged towards the rollers before he had the good sense to let go ........ I think the year is 2004.

Take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phPVSMl7JVk

I've found and uploaded you the classic clip of Phil Harding being dragged towards the rollers before he had the good sense to let go ........ I think the year is 2004.

Take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phPVSMl7JVk

Thanks for finding it :thumbsup:. Not quite as funny as I remembered. I thought his hat very nearly came off, and there was more by-play in the full episode. Maybe I've embroidered the story in my mind!

You still have to admire the chutzpah of them casually throwing white hot metal around the way they do. Kudos!

I wonder why we're such an argumentative bunch on here? Sheffielders seem to be able to make an issue out of the most innocent of topics! *looks sideways at Malky* :)

Good to see...that program does not show in the US.

I know the voice of the commentator...Blackadder yes?

I'd like to get a copy of that program.

So was the crucible steel done in an induction melter?

Where was that rolling mill and when was this filmed?

It appears that those folk can answer my question my measuring the rolls in that mill stand.

Richard

Oh,

I should mention that the first time I used my rolling mill I fed the tongs through. Since it was a small mill they did not exit, but sat there... daring me to free them.

I shut off the power and it took a mighty wrench to loosen the screw-downs.

Richard

Good to see...that program does not show in the US. I know the voice of the commentator...Blackadder yes?

I'd like to get a copy of that program. So was the crucible steel done in an induction melter? Where was that rolling mill and when was this filmed?

It appears that those folk can answer my question my measuring the rolls in that mill stand.

Richard

It's a Channel 4 series, filmed in 2003, according to pietro who found us the link. So you might be able to get the info by emailing them?

Yes it is Tony Robinson who plays Baldrick. They go around digging up historic sites mainly, or people's back gardens. This particular episode they were trying to make a knife from scratch, using original techniques, which is probably why the metal was flawed.

A video of why it's a good idea to wear your safety gear, at least in a rod mill.

We used to get cobbles like these at Alloy Steel Rods. The worst ones were out of the final stands when rolling down to 10mm; at that stage the steel was moving at around 90mph and a cobble there spewed red hot spaghetti all over the place. I've seen it travel back up the full length of the mill, wrap itself round the overhead crane and even round the furnace exhaust in the next bay.

If you were on the mill floor you just had to run...and hope :D

Richard

Time Team; Steel City: A Time Team Special. I think you can get it on Amazon U.K.

I wont swear to it but I think Sheffield University and Time Team Re-fired an old crucible furnace up at the Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet.

The day after the Programme was originally aired I met one of the rollers and asked him what they were messin' about at, Burning the steel, what I thought they had done, but he said they hadn't burnt it, Sheffield University and Time Team had made the steel to the wrong spec.

Why must you always bring sarcasm into everything.I am 74 so no I do not work in heavy industry.If you cannot add anything to the thread why do you write?

Chill out, since when did a bit of sarcasm or wit hurt anyone, owing to your age I assume you aren’t up on current health and safety regulations.

I have worked in a cold rolling mill and a hot rolling mill and was truly shocked at the lack of PPE in that video.

I bet greybeard doesn’t need telling what gear to wear.

Edited by Grandad.Malky

Richard

Richard ...... I've had a dig around (pardon the pun) and fond the complete original programme on Youtube.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjZyAgX48f0

I think greybeard is talking about a continuos mill where you are not handling the hot steel but stood well away from it.Try working in a hard hat when you are sweating and it keeps slipping down over you eyes and there are hot bars about.You would soon change your mind if you were in more danger wearing them than not.Most of your comments are from a spectators point of view,Malky,and Greybeards are on a completely different mill.Oh bye the way sarcasm is still the lowest form of wit so please keep it too yourself.

I think greybeard is talking about a continuos mill where you are not handling the hot steel but stood well away from it.Try working in a hard hat when you are sweating and it keeps slipping down over you eyes and there are hot bars about.You would soon change your mind if you were in more danger wearing them than not.Most of your comments are from a spectators point of view,Malky,and Greybeards are on a completely different mill.Oh bye the way sarcasm is still the lowest form of wit so please keep it too yourself.

You are still talking about safety as if it was an optional extra, in this day and age it’s a legal requirement, I have worked in a bar mill which was very much hands on and I can tell you that you don’t walk around in shirt sleeves, no helmet, no glasses, no hear plugs ……. The list goes on.

Interesting as it is I don’t think the OP wants to know about UK safety requirements to shall we leave it at that.

The Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992

These regulations seeks to ensure that where the risks cannot be controlled by other means, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is correctly selected and used.