Allotment 'not up to scratch'

Thank you for all those replies and words of support. It's really interesting hearing what is being done in other areas. I am searching my old photos for the 'before' pictures of my allotment so I can prove how much work we have actually done.

It's makes me annoyed that had we been disabled/ older etc we may have not done as much as we have, surely that is prejudicing against those groups of people.

Thanks again loom.

If you've not already done so, ring up the allotment office and ask to speak to the officer who looks after your site. Explain your situation and most importantly ask them what they expect you to do before it is re-inspected.

I've always found them very reasonable.

Perhaps they'd like to come and do the ones in lower Walkley! I might just have to go along to a CA meeting for the central area and put it forward as a suggestion. We'd heard that smaller plots were also being developed, and we'd prefer one of them, but its all gone quiet. ;)

Contact the allotment office and ask them.

There has been a lot of work going on at the plots at the bottom of Hagg Hill. As you drive down the hill, the aspect is incredibly open now. Hopefully, the council will do this on other sites.

I recently watched volunteers remove 30 foot trees by hand, from a plot on my site. At the same time, council contactors were ripping out much bigger trees at the other end of the site to make way for the Shepherd Wheel project. Surely, the council machines could have spent a little time clearing the communal plot.

Both Rivelin and Hagg House sites are having trees cleared from them, which makes loads of difference. Not sure this will happen across the city though as it all boils down to funding and we all know how tough that is at the moment. But if plenty of people contact their Community Assemblies/councillors then they know people think it's important at least.

Becky - why don't you burn them ? Wood ash is supposed to be good for onions - best google it, 'cos I'm not 100% sure what you do with the ash LOL.

There's rather a lot of them for burning, and they're quite wet (and it's green wood). I think that would create quite a lot of smoke which would give the allotment office yet another reason to kick me out...

I might try half and half though!

Thanks RobD1

Have done that !

There's rather a lot of them for burning, and they're quite wet (and it's green wood). I think that would create quite a lot of smoke which would give the allotment office yet another reason to kick me out...

I might try half and half though!

You will find that once you get it burning it goes up a treat, slah and burn and enjoy it while you can!

Best of luck with it.

Off topic I know but, the Hagg Ln allotments seem to have loads that have not been touched for donkeys years, they can be seen now due to the clearing. So, waiting lists??? how can that be? do people keep paying the rent but never go near the allotment?