'Fantastic Pets' or devil dogs?

If I see strange bull breeds/ mastiffs that I do not know I always avoid them and go in the oposite direction. I'm not as bothered by other dogs as I know I have the strength to stop them. Ironically I own a bull breed that is dog aggressive, he is always muzzled where other dogs will be offlead as he would do the same to another strange dog if it came up to him and maybe he could be blamed for their dogs reactions to him but when he is on a 2 foot lead and muzzled, minding his own business there is not much more I can do when they have sprinted across a field to get to him :(

this is why ive never been keen on muzzling, there's no defence if things do go wrong.

this is why ive never been keen on muzzling, there's no defence if things do go wrong.

The thing is if another dog ran up to him he could attack them and then I would be as bad as the owners that allow their dogs to attack.

The thing is if another dog ran up to him he could attack them and then I would be as bad as the owners that allow their dogs to attack.

not if yours is on a lead as its deemed you're in control

Oh come on

Our prisons are full of human being who have done things against the law. Are we all murderer's, burglars, rapists? Of course not. Don't judge all by a few.

Its like in the 80's everyone used to blame all 'football hooligan's for the trouble and the riots - WRONG - there were a few nutters who were total nutters. Probably due to their upbringing, their life style, their values - their excess money - anything that can be thought of - to send a few kids off the rails.

Thats just the case with the dogs.

Believe me - we see lots of dogs in the pounds that are totally un homeable. People don't want to take them on and help them - they want the perfect pet.\

However, most of them would be quick to learn, eager to respond - to do whatever their human owner tells them to do.

When we have staffies in I often think of them as teenagers who have had no ground rules. Put those kids (dogs) into the wrong homes, they will be nightmares. Put them in with someone who will spend the time walking and training the dogs, and guess what - the dogs will respond.

I feel so sorry for the dog involved in this incident. Its one of the reasons why we in our rescue do not rehome lethally dog aggressive dogs. when you have seen a dog attacked in this way, you have to think of 'normal' dogs.

However, its not their fault - spend your time

PROMOTING NEUTERING OF ALL BULL BREEDS

If only people could be bothered to put the effort into doing this - maybe we could reduce the huge volumes out there in the hands of these idiots.

not if yours is on a lead as its deemed you're in control

I'd rather him not hurt another dog, even if he is on lead. When we first got him we were not told that he was dog aggressive. We kept him on lead as we did not know his past and he hurt two dogs even though we asked other owners to keep their dogs away, we went out and bought a muzzle.

I could not live with myself if he went around hurting other dogs, he would be pts. I think a muzzle is a good alternative.

Poor Mika :(

I'm ambivalent about cages. Maybe if he hadn't been fastened up in a cage he might have been able to get away from them.

I'd rather him not hurt another dog, even if he is on lead. When we first got him we were not told that he was dog aggressive. We kept him on lead as we did not know his past and he hurt two dogs even though we asked other owners to keep their dogs away, we went out and bought a muzzle.

I could not live with myself if he went around hurting other dogs, he would be pts. I think a muzzle is a good alternative.

I understand and in truth i do everything i can to minimise the risks with ours also and of the ones that i can't trust enough off lead, they stay on at all times.

Its like in the 80's everyone used to blame all 'football hooligan's for the trouble and the riots - WRONG - there were a few nutters who were total nutters. Probably due to their upbringing, their life style, their values - their excess money - anything that can be thought of - to send a few kids off the rails.

The thing is normal people would avoid the situation. I know when I've been to football matches I avoid situations I feel are looking dodgy or the crowd is getting out of control..even if it just a few prats. I don't think you can blame people for reducing their chances of getting involved in something they could possibly be part of by walking in the opposite direction.

Just like I tend to walk in the opposite direction of the bigger bull breed crosses, not because I think they will attack but I am limiting the chances of an attack happening by not going there in the first place. Self presevation is learnt from personal experinace.

EDIT: I would just like to add that I know some lovely bull breeds doggies who are lovely around other dogs, but I like to meet the owners before I meet the dog, I tend to know then what I am going to get then :hihi:

Edited by Evei

I am very wary of bull breeds and I own a bull breed cross myself. The times we have been attacked it has been always by a bull breed cross of some description. They have been allowed to attack a onlead muzzled dog which I find disgusting.

The thing that upsets me the most is the strength of the attacking. When trying to get one off my dog I have had to grab the collar and kick it full force to get them to let go of my dog, I am suprised it did not have broken ribs, I was kicking with such force it hurt my ankle. The other two times their owners has had to stand there punching them and pulling at their collar to get them off. My dog has had deep bites after all attacks around his neck and the one at the base of his tail, this one was the worst as it bled evertime he wagged his tail :cry: this also has a massive effect on all the training I do with him to stop him being funny around strange dogs.

If I see strange bull breeds/ mastiffs that I do not know I always avoid them and go in the oposite direction. I'm not as bothered by other dogs as I know I have the strength to stop them. Ironically I own a bull breed that is dog aggressive, he is always muzzled where other dogs will be offlead as he would do the same to another strange dog if it came up to him and maybe he could be blamed for their dogs reactions to him but when he is on a 2 foot lead and muzzled, minding his own business there is not much more I can do when they have sprinted across a field to get to him :(

Evei at least you take responsibility for your dog

unlike some bullbreed dog owners who carnt see

the harm that there dog can do & just go on about the

harm other breeds of dogs can do :roll:

Edited by fabcakes

Oh come on

Our prisons are full of human being who have done things against the law. Are we all murderer's, burglars, rapists? Of course not. Don't judge all by a few.

Thats just the case with the dogs.

Believe me - we see lots of dogs in the pounds that are totally un homeable. People don't want to take them on and help them - they want the perfect pet.\

However, most of them would be quick to learn, eager to respond - to do whatever their human owner tells them to do.

When we have staffies in I often think of them as teenagers who have had no ground rules. Put those kids (dogs) into the wrong homes, they will be nightmares. Put them in with someone who will spend the time walking and training the dogs, and guess what - the dogs will respond.

I feel so sorry for the dog involved in this incident. Its one of the reasons why we in our rescue do not rehome lethally dog aggressive dogs. when you have seen a dog attacked in this way, you have to think of 'normal' dogs.

However, its not their fault - spend your time

If only people could be bothered to put the effort into doing this - maybe we could reduce the huge volumes out there in the hands of these idiots.

here here well said rain :):)

Poor Mika :(

I'm ambivalent about cages. Maybe if he hadn't been fastened up in a cage he might have been able to get away from them.

Possibly, but you'd consider your dog to be safe from harm in a cage in a house wouldn't you..?

It isn't the behaviour of dogs to wander into an open door of a house they're not familiar with so these particular animals must have been hyped up about something. Unfortuntely the dog is apt to go into a frenzy when it starts.

Maybe if the cost of this operation was more affordable it would be a consideration but as a high number of bull breeds and so called status dogs end up in areas where money is already stretched to the limit it is not going to happen.

We know that there are people that in all honesty should not have dogs. They have no idea of ownership or responsibility, the dog is an accessory nothing more. Rescues up and down the country have been neutering and spaying for a considerable time but for each one you neuter how many more have just come into the world. The good that's done must surely be negligible against the tide that are being bred. For each dangerous/aggressive/surplus dog thats killed in council pounds how many are waiting in the wings to take it's place? The killing as in war does not solve the problem it only deals with the a symptom.

Dog ownership needs to be regulated, stricter. It shouldn't be possible to knock on your friends door and take a pup home. It shouldn't be possible to buy one from outlets that source from puppy farms. Puppy farming is abhorrent and the fact that its a legal practice is disgusting and this in a country that voices its opinions against every animal violation across the globe.