'Fantastic Pets' or devil dogs?

pitbulls are surpose to be banned but theres 100's in sheffield alone i know of a few who a great family pets with not a bad bone in their body. I have also worked in south london before and more or less every dog was a rednose american pitbull terrier.

The dangerous dog act cost british taxpayers £120M+ a year and is clearly not working i think it should be scrapped and all dog owners to be licensed and have to undergo training to make sure they are aware of what it takes to own a dog.

I agree entirely with this idea, it operates in other countries so why not.

[...] Deed not breed.

I like this a lot. Saying what I was trying to say in three words. :)

I think unless you have experience of pitbulls or pit 'types' it's very easy to brandish the name devil dog. Their temperament is not to kill, quite the reverse but they are capable of doing severe damage. They were not bred to bring down 'bulls' although their heritage stems from the much older 'Bull and Terrier' type. People that follow the media do exactly that, for the most part they have no perception of what the truth really is. Yes it's frightening to think that two dogs can do this and i'm sure it was hell for the family but its media response that people act on.

Bull breeds are undeniably powerful but history shows that this power has been controlled by men whose lives depended on separating fighting dogs. The name 'pit' is used simply to describe two dogs that were pitted against one another. The bias that surrounds them has been aimed at German Shepherds and Rottweilers; Rottweilers are now one of the most popular breeds ever, and until something comes along (and they already have) to divert the attention away from them, these dogs will always suffer. They behave as any family pet will do IF they are lucky enough to find the owner that will want them for that reason.

The subject will always be touchy all the time the ill informed are making the decisions and the media who, lets face it make their living from stirring up trouble continue to focus on them.

oh, did I forget to add the link?

There were a couple of dogs who had the thought and the determination to chase some people into their house, break into a dog cage and rip a family pet apart.

Has this escaped anyones notice?

This is what I meant about the blleding hearts saying 'mine is soft as a brush'

That these animals are capable of doing this is scary considering how many of them there are these days.

no, you didnt and yes I totally get your point.

well i'm sure most bull breeds would not hold a grudge with you for not liking them.

Don't get me wrong as a family pet I know that they can be lovely people dogs, full of personality and as soft as a brush...its the other side to them that I find very worrying, the side that kills and maims other dogs , plus the fact that many are owned by the most clueless of owners so they end up out of control and a nuisance to people and even worse a danger to other dogs.

There are just so many of them, and the owners seem to think that it gives them some aura of cool to let them trot about off lead...ploughing viscously into my onlead dogs that never even noticed her coming whilst we were stood at a bus stop, chasing my cat sat on her own doorstep, and of course then leaving me a lovely present at the bottom of my path :gag: I have many experiences which I won't bother to go into now.

The fact is that I won't even take my own friendly dogs to the park on my own now because I am so scared of them hurting my dogs.

I feel truly sorry for the plight of Staffy's in rescues and would help wherre I can out of Human compassion but at the moment I don't like them much...so really I care very little if they hold a grudge or not.

Edited by Moonbird

The only answer to the question raised in the thread title is that some are fantastic pets and some are devil dogs, isn't it?

We've all got experiences of one or other or both.

This is right, I have experience of both too, there are some lovely natured bull breed dogs...its usually the owners that let them down and add to their already terrible reputation I do think it a shame.

I am sure that no one on here would do that, I am not trying to suggest otherwise.

This is right, I have experience of both too, there are some lovely natured bull breed dogs...its usually the owners that let them down and add to their already terrible reputation I do think it a shame.

I am sure that no one on here would do that, I am not trying to suggest otherwise.

It's such a tricky issue. I suppose I can see that if you've (generally speaking, not just you Moonbird) had bad experience after bad experience with bull breeds, you'll be wary.

I'm a ''bleeding heart'' in other areas of life, and I don't like prejudice against groups of people, so I try and apply the same to dogs. It just seems logical to me.

One of the best owners I know, with the most impeccably trained and well-looked after dogs, is a bloke with a PACK of mastiff/bulldog/staffies and crosses. The first time I met him in the park I tried to keep Cassie away because of the sheer number, and size, of them, but I'm glad it didn't work and I got chatting to him because he's given me no end of hints and tips.

this is totaly the same arguement i have just been having with someone else :roll:

then i get told im bringing the breed dawn :|

why the hell do ppl refer to devil dogs a dangerous breeds. calling some breeds dangerous is saying others are not which is not true. a pom killed a child.jack russells have killed kids. the most prevelent bites seen in hospital is by labs and spaniels despite what the tabloids would have you believe.its the dangerous owners who arent training their dogs right we need to ban

Is this honestly right? do you have a link to back this up? this just doesnt sound right at all to me, id actually be gob smacked if was.

Is this honestly right? do you have a link to back this up? this just doesnt sound right at all to me, id actually be gob smacked if was.

its quite factual........

im looking for it now, but it came out of the mouth of ryan o meara who is a well resspected dog law campaigner and trainer so i assure you its truthful. Its also interesting to look at the american temperement tests , the american pitbull terrier has a pass rate higher than the beagle, plus one of the other banned breeds (dogo argentino) has a pass rate of over 90%

couple with the fact that a dog as small as a pomeranian can and has killed a baby before , its silly to label some dogs dangerous and others not

http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2001/pomeranian.html

I am very wary of bull breeds and I own a bull breed cross myself. The times we have been attacked it has been always by a bull breed cross of some description. They have been allowed to attack a onlead muzzled dog which I find disgusting.

The thing that upsets me the most is the strength of the attacking. When trying to get one off my dog I have had to grab the collar and kick it full force to get them to let go of my dog, I am suprised it did not have broken ribs, I was kicking with such force it hurt my ankle. The other two times their owners has had to stand there punching them and pulling at their collar to get them off. My dog has had deep bites after all attacks around his neck and the one at the base of his tail, this one was the worst as it bled evertime he wagged his tail :cry: this also has a massive effect on all the training I do with him to stop him being funny around strange dogs.

If I see strange bull breeds/ mastiffs that I do not know I always avoid them and go in the oposite direction. I'm not as bothered by other dogs as I know I have the strength to stop them. Ironically I own a bull breed that is dog aggressive, he is always muzzled where other dogs will be offlead as he would do the same to another strange dog if it came up to him and maybe he could be blamed for their dogs reactions to him but when he is on a 2 foot lead and muzzled, minding his own business there is not much more I can do when they have sprinted across a field to get to him :(

Edited by Evei