Customer non-service

Is it me.. or maybe i'm getting older..., but have companies stopped actually providing customer service which is satisfactory?

Each person on the other end of the line seem pleasant enough and wants to help but the problem is (in my experience) that the person in customer service you talk to never seems not to be able to solve any problem directly and has to pass you onto someone from another department.

Anyone else feel this or is it just me?

Is it me.. or maybe i'm getting older..., but have companies stopped actually providing customer service which is satisfactory?

ineed, ive noticed a decline over the past couple of years

Not just you, I agree completely.

Don't think it's just the last couple of years though, I'm old enough to remember the 80's when "the customer is always right" was the common ethos. I'd say it was late 90's onward that customer service deteriorated. OK sure, the customer is NOT always right, but as a basic value to base a customer service attitude around, it kind of meant something.

What do I put this down to?

1] Offshore call centres

2] Call centres (even if in the UK) that are outsourced to 3rd party companies to run. You're no longer talking to an employee of the company who might actually care.

3] Size and scale. Small to medium size businesses I think do sometimes still care a lot about their customers. But they don't last for long nowadays; the good ones get bought out by the big boys.

4] Companies so big that you are me and you are just a "number"... one customer in millions. They have the attitude that they really do not care, they are so big, with so many customers that the old threats of "I'll take my business elsewhere" mean nothing to them at all.

It's a real sorry state of affairs IMO. I guess we have capitalism to thank for this.