Sign in to follow this  

New National Anthem- what I have wrote.

Originally posted by t020

Pet hate number 32,869 - bad grammar involving "wrote". It's *what I have WRITTEN*.

I was going to say it should have been ''written'', as opposed to ''wrote''.

:)

I was going to say it should not have been wrote or written full stop.

Long live the Queen.

Dragon

It's *what I have WRITTEN*.

Surely, "That I have written"? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Andy

Surely, "That I have written"? :rolleyes:

No, because the context I interpreted it (due to the dash) is saying "here's what I have written" - he's showing it to us. Without the dash though, the context would change and of course it would indeed be "New National Anthem that I have written". ;)

can we not agree on "Garbage He Wrote?"

Slimsid's "hilarious" attempt aside, I think replacing our national anthem merits serious consideration.

For a start, it's dirge of a tune. Played at the pace of a funeral march, it is so boring that most people don't even bother with the second verse.

More importantly though the lyrics are pretty divisive. Whatever people's thoughts on god/the monarchy, there's a sizable section of British society who either aren't religious, or who don't support the idea of an un-elected head of state. I personally find little to identify with in the words "God save the queen".

I suppose what I'm getting at is wouldn't it be better to sing something that actually celebrates this country and all of it's people, rather than a song calling for a supreme being to protect just one of them?

I suppose we could, yes. :hihi:

It reminds me of the time I wrote a song about the forum. Before your time, and probably less relevant now, but it's at http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10526

I remember that, it was before I started posting - when I was a chatroom only-ite!

"It's like sociatlists driving Mercedes Benz's"

:)