Taxis - why are they allowed to use bus lanes?

use bus lanes?

I understand people (usually 1 customer) are paying a taxi to take them out/to work etc. but I'm sat queueing in traffic, taking longer than I should using my fuel.

So why?

+ I don't drive like a complete moron, do u-turns anywhere I feel, park up in the middle of a main road to let people out etc. etc. etc.

because people aren't using/owning their own cars and the less cars there are, the better.

Why are there so many taxis then?

Because Sheffield Council issued lots of licences and don't care about anything other than the money they get for each one they grant.

Nowt to do with less cars on the road then?

I think any car with 2 or more people in should be able to use the bus lane. Just a thought, probably ill conceived.

Nowt to do with less cars on the road then?

Sorry Stan I wa quoting what the standard line is, having asked the question before. Sheffield has a lot of taxis compared to other cities (so I am told)

I have no problem with buses getting priority but don't see why taxis do when the people in them are basically doing the same as I am.

because people aren't using/owning their own cars and the less cars there are, the better.

That doesn't really add up though does it, because if there were more people without cars there would be more people using taxis and therefore there would be more demand for taxis, so I don't think that's the answer although a carefully thought out one. Plus taxis can also use them when not carrying a passenger, I would imagine it's probably a contract that taxi firms have with the councils because if taxis had to wait in queuing traffic then people would use buses and taxis wouldn't get the high level of custiom they get now as a taxi in rush hour would take forever to get there and if someone was late for work etc then they'd be better off on the bus.

Sorry Stan I wa quoting what the standard line is, having asked the question before. Sheffield has a lot of taxis compared to other cities (so I am told)

It's ok mate.

Can you tell I drive around the city a lot and often get annoyed by taxis? :)

I have no problem with buses getting priority but don't see why taxis do when the people in them are basically doing the same as I am.

To be fair as well, that's not entirely true either is it.....I know it wont be long in coming but at present you don't pay £2.50 per mile (Unless you drive a Bugatti Veyron which I very much doubt)

A mile is a mile if it's in a bus lane or not.