Re-pointing. How much does it cost?

yes but at the end of the year the person doing the job will b able to claim all that back wont they?

No ,only 20% of exspenses count against tax

Costs more than you'd expect in my opinion. After balking at quotes we decided not to proceed.

If any tradesman can enlighten me why it costs £25-30 a metre when the work doesn't require much in the way of material or a very long time investment I'd be interested to know.

You ought to try this work.Except for the first dozen courses,you are working off the ground either on ladder or scaffold.It is tedious repetitive work,dirty,and you end up working for ungrateful customers who find it hard to do physical work themselves.I suggest you hire your own scaffold,buy some tools and DIY.You will soon be changing your appraisal.

HI i dont charge anyway near that and all my work is guaranteed and references from previous works (render or roofing)can be supplied if required i always seem to be the cheapest and busiest, theres no wonder if peoople are charging that much for re pointing.give me a call on 01142337733 if you want a genuine cheap and good job doing.

cheers ash

I've been following this with interest.

Obviously as others have pointed out this job is best suited to tradesmen who are not employees due to the health and safety premium.

Also understood is the fact that it's not exactly the most glamourous job in the trade.

Nevertheless I am still convinced it's overpriced. Using the example from earlier it suggested that it would take 2 hours to do a square meter. On that basis an average terrace would take about 2 week yet I know people where it's only taken one week to do front and back.

A company I worked for labour only paid 1 hour per metre for pointing and 15 minutes per metre for raking out. The pointing rate is about right and it varies on the raking out. On soft mortar you can do more than 4m per hour but I had 1 job and struggled with a diamond disc to do 2m per hour. On domestic houses you can not just start at 8 and carry on until 4.30. There is covering up windows with polythene (angle grinder dust can cause sand blasting effect on windows) and blocking drains to stop them getting full of silt. Then there is putting sheets down to catch droppings and sweeping up. The dust gets everywhere! For the fussy customer or more so the fussy neighbour you can always hire an industrial vacumm cleaner and disk grinder with hose attachment but it will cost! Then there is the builders overheads for such a trivial little job. Be it an extension or a pointing job the Transit van still needs paying for! Loads of 110v leads, transformer, grinder and diamond disks dont come cheap. Also there is the outdoor work element. It can rain! This can cut your daily output and you still need to make the job pay.

Anyway, some builders are in buisness to make it worth their while and others charge only for existance. As for the customer then you might just get what you are paying for or get a bargain. Who knows!

Heres a cheapo, cheapo. Works with a set of ladders strapped to his car roof, no angle grinder and points only but cheap as chips. Ring Roger on 2346120. Cheaper than anyone on here and will still make more in a day than any of us.

A company I worked for labour only paid 1 hour per metre for pointing and 15 minutes per metre for raking out. The pointing rate is about right and it varies on the raking out. On soft mortar you can do more than 4m per hour but I had 1 job and struggled with a diamond disc to do 2m per hour. On domestic houses you can not just start at 8 and carry on until 4.30. There is covering up windows with polythene (angle grinder dust can cause sand blasting effect on windows) and blocking drains to stop them getting full of silt. Then there is putting sheets down to catch droppings and sweeping up. The dust gets everywhere! For the fussy customer or more so the fussy neighbour you can always hire an industrial vacumm cleaner and disk grinder with hose attachment but it will cost! Then there is the builders overheads for such a trivial little job. Be it an extension or a pointing job the Transit van still needs paying for! Loads of 110v leads, transformer, grinder and diamond disks dont come cheap. Also there is the outdoor work element. It can rain! This can cut your daily output and you still need to make the job pay.

Anyway, some builders are in buisness to make it worth their while and others charge only for existance. As for the customer then you might just get what you are paying for or get a bargain. Who knows!

Heres a cheapo, cheapo. Works with a set of ladders strapped to his car roof, no angle grinder and points only but cheap as chips. Ring Roger on 2346120. Cheaper than anyone on here and will still make more in a day than any of us.

Quality :hihi::thumbsup:

couldn't have said it better.

as i said earlier been a real eye opener 1m per hour seems about right i thought i were expensive at £20 per m but when people start to question and belittle whats involved i simply reply without prejudice do it yourselves RAH

Be nice if they ever turned up for a quote. Twice I've replied to PM's from people asking to do the job. Twice I've stopped in on the day they said they'd come and they've not turned up.

Both times on days that they suggested

yeah its a right pain, especially if you have had to take time out.!

good luck!

Be nice if they ever turned up for a quote. Twice I've replied to PM's from people asking to do the job. Twice I've stopped in on the day they said they'd come and they've not turned up.

Both times on days that they suggested

For the record SF'ers I didn't send a pm.