Re-pointing. How much does it cost?

Well from the PM's I've received, it's going to cost more than I thought. It's probably less than I have saved for a weekend away with the lads in Amsterdam tho. Time to grow up and prioritise.

Thanks for all the PM's, I'll get in touch with a couple within the week for quotes.

I am having one done at the moment i'll post what it costs.

I had a two up two down pointed (front only), went to have a look today and it's a very nice job, £650

I had a two up two down pointed (front only), went to have a look today and it's a very nice job, £650

About 5.5m high x 4m wide = 22m2 gross. 22m2 x £30 = £660. If this included a scaffolding company and raking out with an acid wash down on completion then the price was cheap enough but some one man outfits work off ladders only or a tower scaffold. I would have to charge for a scaffold as my men are employed and I have to comply with health & safety.

So with a scaffold company involved about £800.00

No doubt there will be the usual crititism over prices but thats what you pay for employing a company with legitimate labour, complying with health & safety ruling, paying employers NI and holiday pay plus the usual year round business overheads etc.

Cheaper to get a man with a ladder rack on his car and pay him cash in the danny. I know of such a bloke but you wont get any raking out done. His attitude to that is if it needs raking out then you don't need it pointing. He is just over half the price I charge and makes more money out of pointing than I do.

About 5.5m high x 4m wide = 22m2 gross. 22m2 x £30 = £660. If this included a scaffolding company and raking out with an acid wash down on completion then the price was cheap enough but some one man outfits work off ladders only or a tower scaffold. I would have to charge for a scaffold as my men are employed and I have to comply with health & safety.

So with a scaffold company involved about £800.00

No doubt there will be the usual crititism over prices but thats what you pay for employing a company with legitimate labour, complying with health & safety ruling, paying employers NI and holiday pay plus the usual year round business overheads etc.

Cheaper to get a man with a ladder rack on his car and pay him cash in the danny. I know of such a bloke but you wont get any raking out done. His attitude to that is if it needs raking out then you don't need it pointing. He is just over half the price I charge and makes more money out of pointing than I do.

Fair point about the scafolding, but if a self employed sole trader can easily work off ladders safely then fair enough, window cleaners do it without a problem. they are best employed to judge what is safe. Too many people subscribe to the nanny state ethos. If you check the insurance of a tradesperson then you have done enough to exclude yourselve from any re-precussions. Mine was raked out to a depth I could not reach with my finger, then packed tight with mortar, that is a good job imho.

We should all support the small enterprising business folk who want a leg up the ladder (no pun intended) and ditch the jobsworth who want to make a meal out of everything.

I am old enough to know that competent tradesmen are able to decide the best course of action for any particular job, some will of course overegg the pudding.

Costs more than you'd expect in my opinion. After balking at quotes we decided not to proceed.

If any tradesman can enlighten me why it costs £25-30 a metre when the work doesn't require much in the way of material or a very long time investment I'd be interested to know.

It cost that much because its a horriable job to do and can sometimes take longer to do then thought, plus theres the scaffold,sand, cement as well as your tools and tax to pay and thats with out you fuel to get there and you clothes and food. people go to work to earn money not to be out of pocket, if you dont want to pay for it doing you could allways do it your self.

It cost that much because its a horriable job to do and can sometimes take longer to do then thought, plus theres the scaffold,sand, cement as well as your tools and tax to pay and thats with out you fuel to get there and you clothes and food. people go to work to earn money not to be out of pocket, if you dont want to pay for it doing you could allways do it your self.

yes but at the end of the year the person doing the job will b able to claim all that back wont they?

Edited by wellidontno

I had a stone fronted semi re pointed last year, Cost £800, I was very pleased with the work done. Barrow Roofing, Shaun O'Neill 0114 235 6580 or 07710 478266

Window cleaners work with one hand on the ladder but a bloke re pointing will have a hand board in one hand and a trowel in the other. I think if I had an employee fall of a ladder while he had both hands full I would get sued. Not worth the trouble of having to pay out compensation to save a customer money, let the sole trader do it and the father & son outfits. Employees liability insurance won't necessarily pay out for working unsafe and there's a £500 excess if insurance did cover you.

yes but at the end of the year the person doing the job will b able to claim all that back wont they?

no not all of it, plus you have to lay the money out for it there and then. people go to work to earn money and if its good money then fair enough if you dont want to pay out you could allways do it your self. pointing is a crap job to do so thats why people charge so much, they dont want to do it but if you pay what the quote then its a bounus.

Window cleaners work with one hand on the ladder but a bloke re pointing will have a hand board in one hand and a trowel in the other. I think if I had an employee fall of a ladder while he had both hands full I would get sued. Not worth the trouble of having to pay out compensation to save a customer money, let the sole trader do it and the father & son outfits. Employees liability insurance won't necessarily pay out for working unsafe and there's a £500 excess if insurance did cover you.

people just dont want to pay out mate, think you should do them a favour or mates rates all the time. its ok for a plummer or sparky to earn good money but builders are all greedy con men acording to most people.

hi its Russ RAH Building Services 01142483053 mob 07808963477 im way out with my prices give me a call these have opened my eyes