Sharrow lane/ Highfields.

Hi

I used to live at the bottom of Sitwell road in the 60's -70's , next to Fitz on the corner of Mountpleasant Road .

There was also a pie shop further up Sitwell Road which was owned by a Mrs. France at one time and then taken over by the Harrisons . My mother used to work at that shop . A fish and chip shop opened just above that at one point but it was never as good as the one on Sharrow Lane . Even Dixons on London Road had a job competing with them .

The Cremourn on London Road at the corner of Alderson Road was my local. You would have to go a long way to find a better pint of Tetley's . The Lansdown was our meeting place on Saturdays prior to going to the " Lane " for the match.

So if you were beside fitzie's were you in the same yard as the Turners, then, Mikebatty? I was in the same class as Deborah at Sharrow lane)

Edited by Plain Talker

So if you were beside fitzie's were you in the same yard as the Turners, then, Mikebatty? I was in the same class as Deborah at Sharrow lane)

Hi .

Yes we were neighbours . Derek, Margaret,Carol and Deborah. The last time I saw Debs., Carol and Derek was back in the late 70's I think . Margaret I saw last in 2003 . But I remember them all very well . They are lovely people . You may also remember one of the teachers at that school , Mrs. Alflat. She was the wife of a friend of mine .

Excellent pint of Tetley's as you say. You could get mild there too. The landlord was a Londoner, was he called Bill?

I think his name was Sam . He was a Londoner as you say. They had lived in Barnsley , where his wife was from , before coming to Sheffield . Sam could be a funny old stick - " A typical Londoner " - in the north . I remember on one occasion - a Sunday lunchtime - he made an adverse comment about "serving women in the pub on a Sunday lunchtime ". Everyone in the pub told him that if he refused to serve them we also would stay out .He relented in the end . None the less , it was a great little local.

Hi

I used to live at the bottom of Sitwell road in the 60's -70's , next to Fitz on the corner of Mountpleasant Road .

There was also a pie shop further up Sitwell Road which was owned by a Mrs. France at one time and then taken over by the Harrisons . My mother used to work at that shop . A fish and chip shop opened just above that at one point but it was never as good as the one on Sharrow Lane . Even Dixons on London Road had a job competing with them .

The Cremourn on London Road at the corner of Alderson Road was my local. You would have to go a long way to find a better pint of Tetley's . The Lansdown was our meeting place on Saturdays prior to going to the " Lane " for the match.

The chip shop you mention was called Adrians. Last time i saw old man Fitzy he was running a coach service from Beighton with the family but thats a fair few years ago.

Hi .

Yes we were neighbours . Derek, Margaret,Carol and Deborah. The last time I saw Debs., Carol and Derek was back in the late 70's I think . Margaret I saw last in 2003 . But I remember them all very well . They are lovely people . You may also remember one of the teachers at that school , Mrs. Alflat. She was the wife of a friend of mine .

I've mentioned Mrs Alflat a number of times, because she taught me at Sharrow LAne School in the 1970's, but also taught my mother at Coleridge Road in the 1950s. I remember Mrs Alfla very well indeed!

I haven't seen Deborah Turner since 1975 (that I know of) as she did the 4th year of the juniors twice, for some reason, and her repeated year was the year I was in Mrs Pearson's class in 1974/5. At the end of that year I moved up to Secondary school, Deborah went to a different school, however.

I too remember the chip shop, my mum used to work there ,late 50s early 60s. Does any one remember the sweet shop opposite on club garden road. You could get a 1d frozen lolly and if it had "this is a lucky lolly stick" written on it you took it back for a free lolly. Oh almost forgot about getting 6 of mixed from chippy. A big bag of chips scraps n peas all for 6d oh i could eat them now they were so delicious.

I used to live on Club Garden road opposite Stevensons grocer our house was demolished to make way for the garages they built

I remember chip shop for a sixpenny mix

The sweet shop opposite was Mrs Tudors my mum used to make baked alaska

on a sunday (meruinge with ice cream in middle) when i went to sunday school at St johns we used to ask to put it in her freezer as we did not have fridge then pick it up on way home

Sad to see church in such a state now

Our house was on corner of salmon street they knocked first three houses down and left the rest which are still there today this was about 1967 when we left

Spent many an hour playing in empty houses on franklin street

and at bottom where multi stories are

GOOD TIMES out all day no mobiles no lurking peados was happy then

Scrounging prams to make trolleys

I went to Newfield school had trolley races from back yard down drive round suicide corner by caretakers house if you did not make the corner it was down bank onto rugby pitch

Hi echo beach ( if you're still around) Not been on here for quite a while so don't know if you still read this.

I lived at 21 Hobart st. Moved there in 1957 and lived there until I left home aroung 1962Our house was about halfway down. There was a family called DaBell who lived at 19 and somebody called Wade who lived down the bottom on the other side. Ian was the sons name. I remember Tony's fish and chip shop. He was Polish and did great fish and chips. There was a hairdressers round the corner on Clubgarden Road. Mollie ran it. I finished up living on Fentonville st in the late 60's and early 70's and worked behind the bar in the Cross Guns.

Hi echo beach ( if you're still around) Not been on here for quite a while so don't know if you still read this.

I lived at 21 Hobart st. Moved there in 1957 and lived there until I left home aroung 1962Our house was about halfway down. There was a family called DaBell who lived at 19 and somebody called Wade who lived down the bottom on the other side. Ian was the sons name. I remember Tony's fish and chip shop. He was Polish and did great fish and chips. There was a hairdressers round the corner on Clubgarden Road. Mollie ran it. I finished up living on Fentonville st in the late 60's and early 70's and worked behind the bar in the Cross Guns.

Hi Janber,

Yes, I'm still here. Number 12 Hobart Street was owned by my paternal great grand parents and after my parents married in the late '30s they rented it for a period. Subsequently my parents moved to just off Abbey Lane, where I was born and my grandparents lived at number 12 from at least the mid '40s up to 1971 when my grandma died. I have fond memories of visiting with my mum, usually on a Saturday and enjoying fish & chips from the shop at the corner of Hobart Street and Club Garden Road. In addition my auntie, uncle and cousin lived at number 194 Sharrow Lane just at the end of Fentonville Street. They moved out to Coal Aston in the '70s after Gran's demise. So my connection with the street and the Sharrow district lasted some twenty odd years, much of which you were just across the street or round the corner. It's a small world as they say!

Cheers, Echo.

Hi echo beach

It is indeed a small world. When I lived on Fentonville St my back gate opened on to Croydon St. There was a couple who lived opposite who also moved to Coal Aston in the early 70's. They had twin boys who would have been about 10 at the time.

After my dad died in 1969 my mother carried on living in Hobart St until the early 70's, when she moved to the Herdings. Not sure of the exact date she left.

Excellent thread ! There used to be a vehicle parked on Horner Rd on a Saturday selling fruit and Veg, any memories ?

Taggy's ice cream on a late Sunday afternoon used to come up Fieldhead Rd then cross over onto Herschell Rd. Roy Middleton the driver used to ring a bell to let folks know he was around.

Remember " Taggy's very well . We used to trot out with a basin for the ice cream on a Sunday afternoon .

Remember " Taggy's very well . We used to trot out with a basin for the ice cream on a Sunday afternoon .

I have mentioned Taggys' ice cream many times in previous posts. Taggys' was the only ice cream my late mother would give house-room to.

It was the creamiest yellow colour, solid, delicious and so creamy in flavour. None of this whippy, full-o-air rubbish, that we see today.

Come on - Who was in the Cremourn on London Road / Alderson Road in the 1960-70,s ?

Ted , Pete , Sean - Where are you ?