Sharrow lane/ Highfields.

If I remember right, it was Geoff and Linda hunter. I delivered papers for them. :) There was also a bakers opposite Fitzgerald's.

Yes I think you are right with the name Geoff (for some reason I had it in my mind he was a Malcolm)

I'm not so certain about Mrs Hunter's name, as I was expected by my parents to speak respectfully to them, so they were always addressed as "Mr " and "Mrs" Hunter.

There certainly was a bakers opposite Fitzies. I mentioned, earlier in the thread about an elderly neighbour sending me there to fetch him a "small loaf, well-done crust"!

If I remember right, it was Geoff and Linda hunter. I delivered papers for them. :) There was also a bakers opposite Fitzgerald's.

tha never delievered papers for them glen tha threw em all in river sheaf at heely bridge and just pretened tha delievered em :hihi:

tha never delievered papers for them glen tha threw em all in river sheaf at heely bridge and just pretened tha delievered em :hihi:

Git :D I had morning, evening star, green'un and Sunday round.

i remember the chippy on sharrow lane in the 70s and the doctors surgery ( we played in the building when it was empty and closed) i also remember mr browns sweet and grocery shop next to the chippy ( where foxys is now)

the good old days ahhh

andy words

empty vessels make the most noise''

andy words

empty vessels make the most noise''

:huh: Not heard that saying before, come on enlighten me tony p

I remember the Roses' off licence on the corner of Horner Road and Abbeydale road:- she always used to call us kiddies "Soss-pot"

There was a "junk shop" at the bottom of Crowther place, (on the section now demolished) and I remember the chap who ran it was very grumpy-looking, and made me think of Harold Wilson(!!!) lol.

the Rose's were a miserable pair they used to charge an extra penny for a cold drink out of the fridge .Frank Slater nearby was ok.

the other miserable grump with the junk shop was one of the extensive Wardley family ,all secondhandhand dealers ,and all a bit cooky . I think this one was Albert Wardley,his nephew Ralph owned Richards Furniture Sales just past Herschell Road till he committed suicide .

bisco

Loved living at highfields in the 70s :), playing football on what we called the bombies side of railway/bramall lane, happy days :)

the Rose's were a miserable pair they used to charge an extra penny for a cold drink out of the fridge .Frank Slater nearby was ok.

the other miserable grump with the junk shop was one of the extensive Wardley family ,all secondhandhand dealers ,and all a bit cooky . I think this one was Albert Wardley,his nephew Ralph owned Richards Furniture Sales just past Herschell Road till he committed suicide .

bisco

The Roses (William Henry Rose) lol. You could buy that cheap wine there you took your own bottle (plonk) Your right they were grumps we lived next door. They actually poisoned and killed my cousins cat who lived in the same house before us.

I remember old Mr Slater the greengrocer well. He was a nice old type, someone once said he lived in the high rise flats down London road many years ago?

Edited by only_me

I remember Fitzie's shop very well. There was a bakery at number 2 (?) Mount Pleasant road, opposite them. The old chap who lived further down, near the Docking family, used to ask me to run an errand for him to the bakers, and fetch him a "small loaf, well-done".

I remember the Roses' off licence on the corner of Horner Road and Abbeydale road:- she always used to call us kiddies "Soss-pot"

There was a "junk shop" at the bottom of Crowther place, (on the section now demolished) and I remember the chap who ran it was very grumpy-looking, and made me think of Harold Wilson(!!!) lol.

Mr Hunter (Malcolm?) saved my baby sister's life when she was 9 months old. She had a weird episode where she stopped breathing, and she nearly died. he helped us and got Mrs Hunter to phone an ambulance for us while he came to assist my mum.

Hi

I used to live at the bottom of Sitwell road in the 60's -70's , next to Fitz on the corner of Mountpleasant Road .

There was also a pie shop further up Sitwell Road which was owned by a Mrs. France at one time and then taken over by the Harrisons . My mother used to work at that shop . A fish and chip shop opened just above that at one point but it was never as good as the one on Sharrow Lane . Even Dixons on London Road had a job competing with them .

The Cremourn on London Road at the corner of Alderson Road was my local. You would have to go a long way to find a better pint of Tetley's . The Lansdown was our meeting place on Saturdays prior to going to the " Lane " for the match.

Hi

I used to live at the bottom of Sitwell road in the 60's -70's , next to Fitz on the corner of Mountpleasant Road .

There was also a pie shop further up Sitwell Road which was owned by a Mrs. France at one time and then taken over by the Harrisons . My mother used to work at that shop . A fish and chip shop opened just above that at one point but it was never as good as the one on Sharrow Lane . Even Dixons on London Road had a job competing with them .

The Cremourn on London Road at the corner of Alderson Road was my local. You would have to go a long way to find a better pint of Tetley's . The Lansdown was our meeting place on Saturdays prior to going to the " Lane " for the match.

Excellent pint of Tetley's as you say. You could get mild there too. The landlord was a Londoner, was he called Bill?

Excellent thread ! There used to be a vehicle parked on Horner Rd on a Saturday selling fruit and Veg, any memories ?

Taggy's ice cream on a late Sunday afternoon used to come up Fieldhead Rd then cross over onto Herschell Rd. Roy Middleton the driver used to ring a bell to let folks know he was around.