Sharrow lane/ Highfields.

Anyone from highfields /sharow lane, i deliverd papers around cecil rd sherrington rd mt pleasant rd round about 1959, the paper shop was on abbeydale rd near the royal oak pub i got 2/6 aweek not to bad'''.

Hi tony.p, do you mean the Royal, on the corner of London Road and Abbeydale Road?

I lived round there, on Mount Pleasant Rd as a girl, in the 1970's (we exchanged with someone, we were on Gleadless Valley before that).

I remember Mr Hunter running the paper shop on the strip between Crowther Place and Pawson Place, back then. I was at school with his daughter Elaine.

Was it the hHunters who ran it when you were delivering for them?

I remember the other paper shop, on the opposite side of London Road, next door to the Chinese Restaurant by the library.

My friends and I had many an adventure playing in "The Learners".

Hi Plain Talker

I lived on Hobart Street in the late fifties and had an auntie who lived on Mount Pleasant Road. Also remember the Golden Tiger Chinese. Had many a Sunday lunch in there. Loved their Special Chop Suey and Chicken Maryland (you don't see that dish anymore).

I delivered papers for the newsagents shop you have mentioned back about 1950 when the owner was a Mr. Turner, later the shop was owned by Harry Moore who was a distant relative, he left when due to all the houses that were being demolished his business failed, he then ran a "chippie" along Woodseats.

I delivered papers for the newsagents shop you have mentioned back about 1950 when the owner was a Mr. Turner, later the shop was owned by Harry Moore who was a distant relative, he left when due to all the houses that were being demolished his business failed, he then ran a "chippie" along Woodseats.

Mr Hunter was definitely the proprietor of the newsagents between Pawson Place and Crowther Place from before 1973 till the houses on Mount Pleasant were demolished in 1979/80, I was at school with his daughter. Are you referring to the other , larger newsagents next door to the Chinese restaurant?

From mid 70's to early 80's ish the newsagents was run by the Hills, this is the one PT refers to near the Chinese near the junction of Highfield Place (the one with the 2 churches) I lived on there from 1970 to 2003 :) My Dad may know who run it before then, my Grandma would've known but sadly isn't here to ask :(

In the early 50s the paper shop on Abbeydale road was run by a Mr. Turner and in the late 50s the one on London road near Highfield place was run by the Connors.

There was another paper shop on Abbeydale road near the junction with Herschell road which used to keep a copy of 'Health and Beauty' magazine in the window :D

Hi Plain Talker

I lived on Hobart Street in the late fifties and had an auntie who lived on Mount Pleasant Road. Also remember the Golden Tiger Chinese. Had many a Sunday lunch in there. Loved their Special Chop Suey and Chicken Maryland (you don't see that dish anymore).

Hi Janber,

My Grandma lived at number 12, Hobart Street up to her death in '71.

As a child I'd visit her with my Mum usually every Saturday through the 40's, 50's. We would buy fish & chips for dinner from the shop on the corner with Club Garden Road. Do you remember it? It's now a kebab take away, I think.

Her house was close to the top end of the street and was next to number 10but it was always a mystery to me where numbers 2,4,6 & 8 had gone. On the other side of the street the numbers start at 9, so 1, 3, 5 & 7 are missing also. My only explanation is that in building Club Garden Road they demolished part of Hobart St but I'm not sure. Certainly the houses on the former are more prestigious with bay windows.

I recall number 12 having a Yorkshire Range but no bathroom and the loo was at the top of the garden. Freezing in winter. They talk about recycling nowadays but in days gone bye torn up sheets of The Sunday Pictorial were put to good use!

Echo

Hi tony.p, do you mean the Royal, on the corner of London Road and Abbeydale Road?

I lived round there, on Mount Pleasant Rd as a girl, in the 1970's (we exchanged with someone, we were on Gleadless Valley before that).

I remember Mr Hunter running the paper shop on the strip between Crowther Place and Pawson Place, back then. I was at school with his daughter Elaine.

Was it the hHunters who ran it when you were delivering for them?

I remember the other paper shop, on the opposite side of London Road, next door to the Chinese Restaurant by the library.

My friends and I had many an adventure playing in "The Learners".

Hi plain talker, i did mean the Royal, iam not sure of the surname of the shop owner, but his name was Gus, do you remember the little shop at the bottom of Mt pleasant rd run by a family called the corrners, all this might have been a little before your time,it was back in 1959, take care'' tony p.

Hi plain talker, i did mean the Royal, iam not sure of the surname of the shop owner, but his name was Gus, do you remember the little shop at the bottom of Mt pleasant rd run by a family called the corrners, all this might have been a little before your time,it was back in 1959, take care'' tony p.

Like myself PT lived in that area during the 1970s. I also remember the newsagent Called Mr Hunter who had a daughter called Elaine. The local bobby was called seargent fox who was in the newsagent shop a lot.

There was also a steeplejack on the same row of shops and a double fronted

asian continental grocer.

I remember At one end of Mount Pleasent road was a Mrs Baguleys shop and

the other end was the Fitzgerald family corner shop but as stated this was in the 1970s.

Like myself PT lived in that area during the 1970s. I also remember the newsagent Called Mr Hunter who had a daughter called Elaine. The local bobby was called seargent fox who was in the newsagent shop a lot.

There was also a steeplejack on the same row of shops and a double fronted

asian continental grocer.

I remember At one end of Mount Pleasent road was a Mrs Baguleys shop and

the other end was the Fitzgerald family corner shop but as stated this was in the 1970s.

I remember Fitzie's shop very well. There was a bakery at number 2 (?) Mount Pleasant road, opposite them. The old chap who lived further down, near the Docking family, used to ask me to run an errand for him to the bakers, and fetch him a "small loaf, well-done".

I remember the Roses' off licence on the corner of Horner Road and Abbeydale road:- she always used to call us kiddies "Soss-pot"

There was a "junk shop" at the bottom of Crowther place, (on the section now demolished) and I remember the chap who ran it was very grumpy-looking, and made me think of Harold Wilson(!!!) lol.

Mr Hunter (Malcolm?) saved my baby sister's life when she was 9 months old. She had a weird episode where she stopped breathing, and she nearly died. he helped us and got Mrs Hunter to phone an ambulance for us while he came to assist my mum.

Hi Plain Talker and Greybeard, I was definitely referring to the newsagents on Abbeydale Rd. situated approximately opposite the top of Batt St. The newsagents near the end of Herschell Rd was run by the Silkcocks in my early days and I remember a Harry Taylor took it over in later years, he previously worked at the same place as me. The business took a nosedive when the tram and later bus stop which was outside the entrance to the shop was moved to the other side of Herschell Rd. as now. I lived on Herschell Rd. from 1937-60 and visited my mother and brother who remained there until the early 70s