Bronco Laynes Squirrel Cafe, 1960s

Sheffield born Gordon was already mentioned earlier. The only Yorkshireman in the 22 man squad I think.

Ray Wison was a Huddersfield lad, I believe.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 18:20 ----------

4/6d seems expensive for a glorified breakfast in 1961.Are you sure you have the price and year right ?

Yeah, I was thinking that also, you could get 3 pints of Stones or 30 park drive for 4/6d. in those days Or, two pints and 10 fags and still have a few pennies left.In fact, you could probably get fish and chips for three also for that price. :D

Edited by Ontarian1981

Ray Wison was a Huddersfield lad, I believe.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 18:20 ----------

Yeah, I was thinking that also, you could get 3 pints of Stones or 30 park drive for 4/6d. in those days Or, two pints and 10 fags and still have a few pennies left.In fact, you could probably get fish and chips for three also for that price. :D

Ray Wilson was born in Shirebrook, Derbyshire. I think it's a couple or miles or so east of Bolsover. Ray lived in Huddersfield when playing for them and when he retired.

Edited by St Petre
Add

I remember Colin Dobson scoring a goal at the Leppins Lane end where he juggled the ball foot, Knee, head back of the heal, back onto the head, shoulder, Knee and then a right foot shot from just outside the 6 yard box into the goal. the crowd just applauded also some of the opposition team, it was exhibition stuff in a league game.

I remember Colin Dobson scoring a goal at the Leppins Lane end where he juggled the ball foot, Knee, head back of the heal, back onto the head, shoulder, Knee and then a right foot shot from just outside the 6 yard box into the goal. the crowd just applauded also some of the opposition team, it was exhibition stuff in a league game.

Colin was a great winger, who was ruined by Alan Brown's wingerless line ups. Don't get me wrong, Brown did a great job doing that and a lot of teams were playing that way at the time, including England. However, Dobby hardly got any playing time after Brown arrived, shame really.

Colin was a great winger, who was ruined by Alan Brown's wingerless line ups. Don't get me wrong, Brown did a great job doing that and a lot of teams were playing that way at the time, including England. However, Dobby hardly got any playing time after Brown arrived, shame really.

Brown got rid of Brian Usher also. Colin Dobson went to Huddersfield Town then to Bristol Rovers and was an icon at both places.

Yes, Hodgy, (Blades) , Eddie Hopkinson (Bolton), Gordon West (Blackpool, Everton,) Jim Montgomery (Sunderland), Peter Grummit (Forest), Ppeter Shilton, (Leicester) John Osbourn (West Brom) , Tony Waiters (Blackpool), Colin Mc Donald (Burnley)_ and a favourite of mine Alan Ogley a Barnsley born lad played for Manchester City. West was also born in Barnsley. They were all English born but they're were other good goalies in then old First Division in the 60's from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales not too sure about the 'jocks'. (a lad that played for West Ham ?) Don't think many of them went in 'Bronco's' café tho'.

Bill Brown ( Spurs I think), Jim Standen

Alan Ogley came from the same village as me, Gordon West was a Royston lad.

---------- Post added 23-07-2018 at 17:07 ----------

Didnt Colin Dobson go to Burnley ? They had some great players, eg Ray Pointer, Leyton James

---------- Post added 23-07-2018 at 17:13 ----------

Slightly off topic but there was a greasy spoon type cafe on the corner of Leppings Lane that I used to frequent late 1970s early 80s. I think its a chippy now, there was a tyre business next door. They served a mean full English at the time. I remember several Wednesday players used to go in, Mellor, Hornsby, Curran I think. One of them used to talk to me regularly although they knew I was a Blade

Didnt Colin Dobson go to Burnley ? They had some great players, eg Ray Pointer, Leyton James

Slightly off topic but there was a greasy spoon type cafe on the corner of Leppings Lane that I used to frequent late 1970s early 80s. I think its a chippy now, there was a tyre business next door. They served a mean full English at the time. I remember several Wednesday players used to go in, Mellor, Hornsby, Curran I think. One of them used to talk to me regularly although they knew I was a Blade

It was Martin Dobson that played for Burnley, he later went to Everton.

---------- Post added 23-07-2018 at 16:47 ----------

It was Martin Dobson that played for Burnley, he later moved to Everton.

---------- Post added 23-07-2018 at 16:55 ----------

Yes, Jim Standen was the Scottish goalie I was thinking of,he played for West Ham.

It was Martin Dobson that played for Burnley, he later went to Everton.

---------- Post added 23-07-2018 at 16:47 ----------

It was Martin Dobson that played for Burnley, he later moved to Everton.

---------- Post added 23-07-2018 at 16:55 ----------

Yes, Jim Standen was the Scottish goalie I was thinking of,he played for West Ham.

Yes West Ham. Confused Martin with Colin

Going back to the goalies of the 60s what about Bob Wilson of Arsenal, He may be a Scottish international but he was born in Chesterfield.

Jim Standen also played cricket for Worcestershire, I think the scot you are thinking of is Laurie Leslie, the keeper who let seven in against the Owls was Noel Dwyer. I was there.

Jim Standen also played cricket for Worcestershire, I think the scot you are thinking of is Laurie Leslie, the keeper who let seven in against the Owls was Noel Dwyer. I was there.

Ted Hemsley also played for Worcestershire. Not a keeper I realise.

Ted Hemsley also played for Worcestershire. Not a keeper I realise.

Correct ,and a good all rounder was Ted.Also liked a bet.