Bronco Laynes Squirrel Cafe, 1960s

Jim Standen also played cricket for Worcestershire, I think the scot you are thinking of is Laurie Leslie, the keeper who let seven in against the Owls was Noel Dwyer. I was there.

Yes, Laurie Leslie was the Scotsman and yes Irishman Noel Dwyer, did he let 7 in that day of 6 ? Was it 1960 or 1961 ?

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 15:12 ----------

Going back to the goalies of the 60s what about Bob Wilson of Arsenal, He may be a Scottish international but he was born in Chesterfield.

Non English goalies of the 60's, Pat Jennings not bad either.

Edited by St Petre
Add

It was seven, Fantham 2, Wilkinson,Finney 2, Bobby Craig, and Ellis, on the 28Nov , 1959. Don,t ever remember hitting six past them around that time.

Jim Standen also played cricket for Worcestershire, I think the scot you are thinking of is Laurie Leslie, the keeper who let seven in against the Owls was Noel Dwyer. I was there.

I recall some new paper photos at the time of some of the goals and the North Stand being under construction but that was after 1959 so I must be thinking of another game.

Edited by St Petre
Add9

The North stand opened in 61 , so i would be under constuction at that time.

Yes, Laurie Leslie was the Scotsman and yes Irishman Noel Dwyer, did he let 7 in that day of 6 ? Was it 1960 or 1961 ?

---------- Post added 24-07-2018 at 15:12 ----------

Non English goalies of the 60's, Pat Jennings not bad either.

Bob Wilson could hardly be called non English, unless of course you regard Chesterfield as an independent state lol . If you want to go Irish you have to go no further than Harry Gregg, the daddy of them all at 85 years old.

Bob Wilson could hardly be called non English, unless of course you regard Chesterfield as an independent state lol . If you want to go Irish you have to go no further than Harry Gregg, the daddy of them all at 85 years old.

I have nothing against Bob Wilson of the town of Chesterfield (I worked in the area for years.) My comment should have said Blritish goalies who did not play for England.

I have nothing against Bob Wilson of the town of Chesterfield (I worked in the area for years.) My comment should have said Blritish goalies who did not play for England.

Take it easy, I was just kidding around :D

I thought this was supposed to be about the Squirrel Cafe?

Correct ,and a good all rounder was Ted.Also liked a bet.

Alan, shouldn't that read 'liked taking bets'? :)

I thought this was supposed to be about the Squirrel Cafe?

Threads just evolve sometimes and get a life of their own, how much mileage are we going to get about a 1960s cafe owned by a local football hero if we don't talk about him and his peers of that time lol

Edited by Ontarian1981

Alan, shouldn't that read 'liked taking bets'? :)

If you want to slur a good and honest all rounder because he played for United ?

If you want to slur a good and honest all rounder because he played for United ?

What are you talking about? He was a bookie.