Bronco Laynes Squirrel Cafe, 1960s

Read Don Megson's Biography has a bit on Bronco Laynes cafe.

I remember calling in at the corner shop half way down Wynyard Road to buy a packet of cigarettes on my way to the cafe.

My Dad, George Barker had the cafe before Bronco, he sold it to Bronco.

This was before my time but I always remember him telling me about it, and my older brother remembers it.

It would be great if anyone remembers my dad running the cafe.

Did David Layne also have a café on Penistone Road north, perhaps opposite the old 'Gate' pub and before the railway bridge ?

Bronco is married to my cousin Patricia, I don't think he had a cafe on Penistone Road, I think he had a pub, I saw him last year, he looks very well.

My favourite Wednesday players....Bronco and left-winger Colin Dobson.

My favourite Wednesday players....Bronco and left-winger Colin Dobson.

And Ron Springett, you can't miss him out, He was my hero as a kid,

Ron Springett was my hero, he wasn,t very tall but every cross was his, he didn't wear gloves, we used to throw oranges to him, he squeezed the juice on to his hands for grip, he is never mentioned when England goalies are talked about but he was one of the greats, he held the record for England caps before Banks came along and was reserve for the 66 world cup team.

Bronco is married to my cousin Patricia, I don't think he had a cafe on Penistone Road, I think he had a pub, I saw him last year, he looks very well.

Was the pub the 'Cocked Hat' Leeds Road/ Worksop Road, Attercliffe ?

---------- Post added 24-10-2017 at 17:14 ----------

Used to go there in my lunch hour. One day saw Tony Kay, Peter Swan and Bronco discussing 'tactics' over the juke box. Anyone remember 'Paul's Pantry? It was on a little bridge near the Middlewood Road end of Holme Lane. Egg, chips and beans and a cuppa for 4/6d in 1961.

If you're talking about 1961, David Layne joined the Owls (from Bradford City) in July 1962.

Ron Springett was my hero, he wasn,t very tall but every cross was his, he didn't wear gloves, we used to throw oranges to him, he squeezed the juice on to his hands for grip, he is never mentioned when England goalies are talked about but he was one of the greats, he held the record for England caps before Banks came along and was reserve for the 66 world cup team.

I was going to mention the oranges,then I thought am I right with that,I remember watching him at Filbert st we beat Leicester 1.0 he got 10 in the News of the World ratings on Sunday morning.Not sure, but I think it was the first time I'd seen that

Was the pub the 'Cocked Hat' Leeds Road/ Worksop Road, Attercliffe ?

Don't know whether or not he had that pub, I didn't think so, but Swanny had the one just around the corner, the Travellers.

Don't know whether or not he had that pub, I didn't think so, but Swanny had the one just around the corner, the Travellers.

Yes Jim I might be mistaken and yes, Swanny did have the pub, was that just up from Attercliffe baths ?