Rushey Meadow closure

I cannot believe that a proposal has been put forward to close Rushey Meadow. Why do the Liberal Democrats and especially Mr Scrivens go on the tv and radio and spout off about social care and front line services not being affected by the cuts? Can you get any more front line than Rushey Meadow? The Liberal Democrats ramble on about transparency when it is obvious to a lot of people in Sheffield that they are playing politics and going for the popular vote (for the local May elections) eg keeping our roads swept and libraries open, whilst secretly putting forward devastating proposals which will have a major impact on front line services.

No doubt Mr Scrivens and his misguided party will say that fostering, family placement and other schemes will be able to offer a service to these young people and families. We need to be careful we are not hoodwinked by any statements which may be forthcoming trying to placate desperate families, where exactly is this much needed care going to come from? how often will this care be available and to what standard will it be?

Perhaps the help will come from The Big Society and that Mr Scrivens will care for our children himself, perhaps that way he will see what life is truly like in our caring Society.

Has the Liberal Democrat Councilor who has put forward this proposal the slightest idea of anything that the parents go through to care for their children? Have any of the people who are proposing this closure ever visited Rushey Meadow? Have they ever taken the time to go and have a chat with these families? I guess the answer will definitely be "No" because they would surely feel their desperation and their need for respite care.

thank youfor the explanation.

all I can suggest is:

- write to no 10 about DCs promises

- write to all councillors involved in the decision

- attend the open meeting and voice your issues

- contact relevant chariites for advice (re local and national picture)

- contact the press - again local and national.

Open Meeting next Wednesday 16th - my thoughts are that parents ought to attend this meeting along with their children and voice their opinions very loudly - just a thought - then perhaps the proposers can actually get to meet the young people and have an understanding of their needs - they might then get away from financial issues and start thinking about peoples lives and the devastating impact their decisions make!

Edited by locallass

Open Meeting next Wednesday 16th - my thoughts are that parents ought to attend this meeting along with their children and voice their opinions very loudly - just a thought - then perhaps the proposers can actually get to meet the young people and have an understanding of their needs - they might then get away from financial issues and start thinking about peoples lives and the devastating impact their decisions make!

If I didn't think the environment would freak him out I'd love to take my son, or then maybe that's the point!

Edited by Marlie

If I didn't this the environment would freak him out I'd love to take my son, or then maybe that's the point!

Marlie in response to your post

:hihi:

I don't think Rushey staff are allowed at the meeting so sadly they wouldn't be able to offer you or your son support to get through the occasion, but wouldn't it be just great if our children were able to go .........

ok so bit the bullet when I heard Radio Sheffield's phone in this morning was to be the "Big Society" as with Rushey closing it fitted......they called me back all changed to working men's clubs! Maybe the future of our kids will be important enough tomorrow?

my son used Rushey for a few years and he loved it there, i was confident and very happy with all the staffs care. The staff are like extended family as they help and support us all with a lot of things. Sheffield Council need to make savings in the budgets but it shouldn't be done this way. Rushey is needed by so many families. If there is any support i can give i will such as going to meetings etc. i can take my son and let him run riot then they may see that we all need Rushey to stay open.

I have just heard from a anxious parent, who want to fight this clousure and would like everyones support, and ideas on how to do this. I have just registered her on the forum and hopefully she will be able to log in later.

She is sending out a letter to all parents whose children currently attend Rushy Meadow, with here contact details, we feel that parents need to get together on this and support each other in unison, should we hold a meeting to start a action plan??? Please let me know what you think and feel.

Hi I am a parent affected by the closure of rushy meadows and I am very discusted in the way we are being treated. We need this respite for our own sanity as well as our chlidrens and I as a parent am willing to put up a fight for my sons future anyone wanting to put up a fight to try and help save Rushy Meadows please get in touch via email...

Hi I am a parent affected by the closure of rushy meadows and I am very discusted in the way we are being treated. We need this respite for our own sanity as well as our chlidrens and I as a parent am willing to put up a fight for my sons future anyone wanting to put up a fight to try and help save Rushy Meadows please get in touch via email...

Hi you can contact me at michelle@hullaballoos.org.uk or nikkiallott@talktalk.net.

Had this from Andy Kershaw

Hi Could you please give me a call at Radio Sheffield. I popped into Rushey on Saturday ( I just live around the corner).

I'm looking to contact parents with kids at the centre or who use the centre. We'd like to hlep highlight the effect of the cuts to this service.

Please ask people to call me or email details below Thanks

Andy Kershaw | Broadcast Journalist

BBC SHEFFIELD

54 Shoreham Street, Sheffield, S1 4RS

Phone 01142675482

Mobile 07910 589662 /07711 913313

Email andy.kershaw.01@bbc.co.uk

Hi, I am the mother of twins who have disabilities and attend Rushey Meadow and I too are devastated and disgusted to hear of the proposed closure of our one and only lifelife for a nights break and some rest. I am having a meeting with two of the other mums today to see what we can do to help try and save this much needed oasis. We cannot sit back and let this happen. No one knows how much that place means to each and everyone of us who have children who go there. We cannot just enroll our children on holiday playschemes, holiday clubs etc. without having to fight tooth and nail to get our children the extra staff care needed and then not always succeeding or even have our children stay overnight with grandparents as that is not always possible due to the extra things involved, not only in looking after our children but adapting homes to suit our childrens' needs and safety, so to be able to take our children to Rushey Meadow for an overnights stay one a week means the absolute world to us. No one knows what it is like to care for a disabled person/child unless they have actually done it, so please Sheffield Council try it for a week and see how you cope without a break!

I've just been reading an interesting document entitled "Working for you - A message from Counciller Paul Scriven, Leader of Sheffield City Council". According to this:-

“Savings on back-office work allows us to spend more money on front-line services such as social care

“The Council’s vision is to be a City where everyone can achieve their full potential.”

Last year Sheffield council spent large sums of money on such front-line services as:-

“Reduced rates for swimming lessons to help adults learn to swim”

“Extra school swimming lessons free to children who haven’t met the national standard”

“We planted over 6000 trees and one million spring bulbs”

Are free swimming lessons and pretty roundabouts really more important than providing care to disabled children?

The slogan of Sheffield City Council is "Sheffield - Where everyone matters".

Can we now expect this slogan to be changed to "Sheffield - Where everyone (except disabled children) matters"!?