Zeppelins over Sheffield

Hi

I've been interested in this Zepplin raid material for a number of years and oddly enough its not been fully written up. Certainly there has been some research but over time Ive found other snippets in various places. The stories here are totally wetting my appetite to do more. I recently set up a Facebook page dedicated to this subject and there's a new study group around looking at doing something positive to tell the story - its 100th years this Sept when this all happened. Please do get in touch we'd love to talk more to you all on here about the stories raised. Think the book is long over due dedicated to the memory of those who died.

My late mother was three months old and in a cot at their home in Cossey Road when it was badly damages by a bomb from the Zeppelin. Apparently rubble fell into her cot but she was unhurt. The family was relocated to Tinsley, then a rural area with farms, horses and peacocks.

most of the dead were buried in BURNGREAVE CEMETERY there grave stones still there

most of the dead were buried in BURNGREAVE CEMETERY there grave stones still there

hi thanks might be good to condition survey these graves as part of the project we are looking to do

Cat631, I appreciate your response.

Elizabeth Bellamy, of whom there is a photo on the site to which you refer, was my great grandmother's sister.

I will make a point of looking for the memorial next time I pass along Effingham Road. I been searching in vain for a while.

Elizabeth Bellamy nee Pigott was my gt grandma. She was injured when a high explosive bomb fell outside her home at 43 Writtle St (now Maxwell Way). Shrapnel from the bomb hit her in the back as she rushed across her bedroom to protect her granddaughter (Marjorie Morris, my mum) who was in a cot aged 11 months. She was taken to the Royal Hospital, off West Street, where three hours later she died from her injuries. She is buried in Burngreave Cemetery Grave Number 4544, Section JJ where her husband William was eventually buried too. Inscription on gravestone reads " Blessed are the pure in heart. In loving memory of Elizabeth, the beloved wife of William Bellamy who was suddenly called away on 26 Sept. 1916 age 57 years. "A bitter grief, a shock severe, to part with one we loved so dear". This her picture

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/johnpm-bucket/elizbellamy-pigott1906_zps2fe6f246.jpg

John

Hi

Thanks for the information - yes the memorial outside the old Portland Works is still there. I used to work next door to it many moons ago and it always fascinated me !

Hi

Thanks for the information - yes the memorial outside the old Portland Works is still there. I used to work next door to it many moons ago and it always fascinated me !

Don you mean Baltic Works building on Effingham St?

Hi

I've been interested in this Zepplin raid material for a number of years and oddly enough its not been fully written up. Certainly there has been some research but over time Ive found other snippets in various places. The stories here are totally wetting my appetite to do more. I recently set up a Facebook page dedicated to this subject and there's a new study group around looking at doing something positive to tell the story - its 100th years this Sept when this all happened. Please do get in touch we'd love to talk more to you all on here about the stories raised. Think the book is long over due dedicated to the memory of those who died.

According to family legend my grandmother was hanging out her washing near Washford bridge when she felt paraffin raining down from a zepplin

Some years ago 2 people called Glyn & Mark (their website is http://www.brigantian.force9.co.uk/) were to produce a book on the Zeppelin raid. I gave them all my info & photos of Elizabeth Bellamy but the book never appeared. If anyone does intend producing a book I would be happy to pass my info to them.

John

Zeppelin raids -Sheffield 1916.

Over the weekend of 8-11th September 2016,the Friends of Burngreave Cemetery are holding an exhibition about this Zeppelin raid and the civilians killed in it. Mick Nott will be hosting a Guided Walk to visit these graves on the Sunday at 1.00 pm. We would be grateful if people would allow us to use any information and picture found on this and the Chris Hobbs site. kind regards, Christine Steers

HI Christine. Sorry I can't be with you at the Zeppelin weekend event because of holiday but I am very happy for you to use the information available on on my great grandma Elizabeth Bellamy nee Pigott. I can send you fuller information if you want. Glad to hear Friends of Burngreave are still alive & kicking! Best wishes, John

Edited by johnpm

My grandmother alas died in the mid 1980s. She ued to tell me a tale that there was a gun emplacement on wincobank hill near to where i lived as a boy in Hinde house lane. She said a Zepplin came over and the gun could have shot it down but the officers were at the pub drunk and the other men did not have the authority to fire. The concrete remains were still there in the late 1970s when i left the city