Hysterectomy advice needed please!!

I had it done,they cut me almost from hip to hip.I was so scared but the staff in Jessop Wing in the RHH were fantastic,i came round on the tues morn after op mon afternoon,came home fri.All i did was make sure I didnt lift anything,rested when i felt like it and was very careful,all i had probs with at first was rolling over in bed that twinged a bit but nothing major,i never felt better but for me i have to say it was almost 8 months before i felt up to full capacity.work were very good i had 3 months off and went back on a phased return good luck and dont be scared

I had this op 20 od yearsa go. The best thing you can do is DO AS YOU ARE TOLD!!! I didn't, and was off work for almost five months!! Must admit to not being a good patient, don't do sitting about very well. It took probably a year to get over it completely. Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

It's much less strenuous an operation now than it used to be; in most cases it can be done via keyhole surgery. My mother had it done a great many years ago when it was a major op, and she also took about four months to recover from it.

I had it done in 2004 and believe me it was the best thing i ever had done. I don't miss the monthly curse either. The only down side is not being able to do much after lol, you have to take it easy for about 3 months, not even lift a kettle:hihi:...A word of warning, after the op when the nurses get you to walk about do it because if you dont stand up straight they say the muscles tighten and you could end up walking bent over.....well thats what i was told. Dont worry you will be fine, good luck:thumbsup:

I agree and I know this is not very nice but the worst bit for me was you have terrible wind and the only way I got relief in the end was by injection and after that much the same as other posts really. I had mine done about 15 years ago.

hi beamer i had a total hysterectomy about 2 years ago ,aged 48 i had never been in hospital i was really scared ,told my partner to go home because if he hadnt i would have gone home ,and was going to start crying ,anyway i had it done ,and was ok ,went home after 4 days ,and they where really good to me in the hospital ,only down side is didnt sleep very well ,good luck you will be fine:)

It's much less strenuous an operation now than it used to be; in most cases it can be done via keyhole surgery..

Thats not strictly true, it depends on surgeon, reason for surgery, previous abdominal surgery, body habitus other medical co-morbidities.

I have to go into hospital on 25th February for the total hysterectomy, i have never had surgery before and i am now getting very nervous the closer the date is getting.

If there's anyone who can give me a insight into this surgery and after effects, do's & don'ts it would be greatly appreciated.

Beamer x

HI I am new on this site, and your message caught my eye I have had this op, and 2 more all together, and I was not put to sleep, had it done under spinal. All I can say is try not to worry too much, I know easier said than done. But you will feel better for having it. You may feel really well only a couple of weeks on, But be very careful as I hurt myself with an empty shopping trolly. So do try to look after yourself. You will be fine and good look.

That's the official line on this surgery.

However, I had a total hysterectomy with both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed and they also had to do an open abdominal clear up of all of the endometriosis which entailed effectively unpacking me, clearing everything up and then putting it all back again, so I have a much larger than average incision, and I didn't need to do the vast majority of what is stated above.

I was in for 5 days and went back to Uni 13 days after the operation. I went to the pub on the way home from the hospital for my tea and with the exception of not lifting heavy things and sitting on a stool for cooking, I didn't bother with any special rules.

The official information says that you can't drive for 6 weeks afterwards, but the hospital said that as soon as I felt able to do an emergency stop without pain then I could drive, so I started driving again at 3 weeks post op.

I was going round the supermarket unaided at 4 weeks, which was probably a bit early because my height made the wound at just the right height to smack with the trolley handles, but other than that it really wasn't a problem.

Don't fret about it beamer- the operation is in all likelihood going to be a whole lot less unpleasant than the condition that's made the hysterectomy necessary in the first place.

Go with it, treat yourself carefully and listen to your body on what you are able to do and you'll be fine :)

Good luck.

I'm glad that you were able to recover so quickly. My post reflects my own experience - so whilst it may sound like the official line I'm happy I listened to the advice I was given.

I suppose recovery from surgery can vary depending on lots of things. Age is a big factor I suspect but as a reasonably fit woman in my late thirties at the time I was surprised to find myself really very tired and weak for a good couple of weeks afterwards. It wasn't until about 8 weeks after surgery that I started swimming. I had a long vertical incision that cut across a lot of tissue and the operation was - I think - 3 or 4 hours long. So I guess it just depends. I think it is really important though to not rush recovery purely because of the risk of a tear.

I'm glad that you were able to recover so quickly. My post reflects my own experience - so whilst it may sound like the official line I'm happy I listened to the advice I was given.

I suppose recovery from surgery can vary depending on lots of things. Age is a big factor I suspect but as a reasonably fit woman in my late thirties at the time I was surprised to find myself really very tired and weak for a good couple of weeks afterwards. It wasn't until about 8 weeks after surgery that I started swimming. I had a long vertical incision that cut across a lot of tissue and the operation was - I think - 3 or 4 hours long. So I guess it just depends. I think it is really important though to not rush recovery purely because of the risk of a tear.

Everybody is different, my aunty in law had hers in mid November, she's in her mid forties and she was out clubbing on New Year's Eve!

Hi again all.

Thank you for your advice and p.m's. I will definately let you all know how i get on, of course i will.

My surgeon is Mr Keriakos, he was lovely the first time i went. I'm 37 years old and the reason for i have to have a total hysterectomy is, i have a fibroid tumour that measures 18cms x 9cms, i've got to have general anesthetic, i cant have keyhole surgery, im having a bikini ine insision.

Thanks again for your help and support ladies :thumbsup:

Beamer xx

Hi Beamer

just wondered how you were? did the surgery go ok?

I am sure there are others who would like to know as well

Karen

Hi Beamer

just wondered how you were? did the surgery go ok?

I am sure there are others who would like to know as well

Karen

Hi Karen

I had actually forgot all about me posting this thread :huh:

Yes thankyou, everything went fine, I had surgery on 25th february and still in my recovery period, apart from getting a infection in the wound where my drains had been removed and ended up at A & E as my wound burst open due to the infected pockets under my skin. The first 2 weeks after surgery i was very weak and in quite alot of pain, then into my 3rd week i started picking up quite well, looking back now i am so glad i had it done, i feel like a new woman :D and my clothes now fit me again. Thankyou so much for asking hun.

Beamer x