Cholesteatoma in both ears

My sons check up went very well today. He's healed well considering the extensive damage caused and in August his hearing loss was classed as severe, (he couldn't even hear you talking to him, you had to really shout and be close) today his hearing loss is mild to moderate, great improvement(he struggles when theres background noise)

He will go back in 6 months, and will still have to do the hairdryer everyday and we know its going to be a lifelong thing but we couldn't be happier. xx

So pleased to hear that he is doing well lyndix. I had my check up on Tuesday and my left ear that I had my op on has improved in the last 5 years so pleased with that. The right one though has got worse and I am now down for an op on that. He said that the waiting list wasn't long but I don't know how long. They didn't want to operate to soon in case I lost my hearing through the operation but he says now is the right time especially as I have regained some hearing in my left ear. So now just waiting fingers crossed that it isn't to long I hate waiting.

So pleased to hear that he is doing well lyndix. I had my check up on Tuesday and my left ear that I had my op on has improved in the last 5 years so pleased with that. The right one though has got worse and I am now down for an op on that. He said that the waiting list wasn't long but I don't know how long. They didn't want to operate to soon in case I lost my hearing through the operation but he says now is the right time especially as I have regained some hearing in my left ear. So now just waiting fingers crossed that it isn't to long I hate waiting.

Thanks Silly. Am really happy that your hearings got a bit better in your left, I hope they don't take too long before they operate on your right ear though, the waiting is unbearable.

Got everything crossed for you xx

And Jonny, hope you're bearing up mate XX

really hope its all good news for you all, ive got some hearing back and get the stitches and the dressing out in the morning x so fingers crossed

really hope its all good news for you all, ive got some hearing back and get the stitches and the dressing out in the morning x so fingers crossed

So pleased for you jonny if you have some hearing while you still have the dressing in it sounds as if you have a good result. Mine was like that and improved as it healed. Hope that pain has also gone now.

yeah the pain has eased alot till i turn when asleep then ouch, i went for my 1st run today only managed 6 miles but everything was fine x

So chuffed you're feeling better jonny, just don't over do it to quickly, its a big op!

OOO let us know how your hearing is once the packings out, fingers crossed for ya mate xx

I have suffered with this most of my life. I have had both ears operated on twice, each time through the back of my ear through the skull. I am now quite deaf, but was recently given my first hearing aid. The difference is amazing. I have been infection free for a few years by following one tip from a nurse at ENT. Never get your ears wet. Use ear plugs in the sea and pool don't ram them in. Cotton wool balls with Vaseline on are good too in the shower. It should then stay away. Well it has for me.

I have suffered with this most of my life. I have had both ears operated on twice, each time through the back of my ear through the skull. I am now quite deaf, but was recently given my first hearing aid. The difference is amazing. I have been infection free for a few years by following one tip from a nurse at ENT. Never get your ears wet. Use ear plugs in the sea and pool don't ram them in. Cotton wool balls with Vaseline on are good too in the shower. It should then stay away. Well it has for me.

Good to hear a quite a positive outcome Cenobite, hopefully you will stay clear for years to come.

I think the keeping the ears dry is the main requirement, our consultant told us about a device being sold (Macks Ear Dryer) which is a small handheld device built for the job to save messing about with the hairdryer everyday, might have to invest in one of those.

Good luck for the future xx

yeah the pain has eased alot till i turn when asleep then ouch, i went for my 1st run today only managed 6 miles but everything was fine x

Hows the recovery going jonny121? Hope you're feeling ok mate xx

well ive got some hearing back and it seems to be getting betta every day, still got the numbness feeling around my ear thou, but thats to be expected. just got to knock smoking on the head now after i worked myself up so much before the op i restarted again after 2 years :-(

thanks for everything :-)

So sorry to read this thread, I've never heard of this complaint..:(

Just hope you all keep getting better and better...keep positive..:thumbsup: