Cholesteatoma in both ears

Thanks silly n John, will have to wait a couple of weeks for results of scan. Gonna be a long 2 week's xxx

Looks like I'm going to be in again before Christmas :-/

Looks like I'm going to be in again before Christmas :-/

Nooo!! They've got you in really quickly mate. I know it's best done as soon as possible but I just hope it Dosn't spoil Christmas for you xxx

Hope everything goes well Jonny. To be fair they do get us in pretty quick when needed .

It's bad news!

The cholesteatoma has returned in my sons left side. I feel so sorry for him.

They are looking to operate in January. At least we know what to expect this time!

Xx

Sorry to hear this lyndix hope that everything goes well for him. Keep in touch x

Sorry to hear this lyndix hope that everything goes well for him. Keep in touch x

Thanks silly xx

Does anyone ever hear again out of an operated ear for cholesteatoma. I'm waiting on an mri scan and am afraid it will reveal that I have one. What percentage of hearing do most have with a prosthesis? Please I need to know what to expect.

Does anyone ever hear again out of an operated ear for cholesteatoma. I'm waiting on an mri scan and am afraid it will reveal that I have one. What percentage of hearing do most have with a prosthesis? Please I need to know what to expect.

Hi Marie, all cases are different and they never know what they are gonna find until they get in there or the outcome until after the operation.

My son has had both ears operated on, both with completely different outcomes.

Unknown to us his left one had had the disease for many years and had caused considerable damage, the bones inside his ear had been destroyed and unfortunately his left ear is classed as dead, he has almost no hearing in that side and is awaiting a baha (bone anchored hearing aid)

However after it was discovered in his right side early this year, his right side was operated on and although his hearing is not fantastic in this side he still manages with it. I think the main reason he can still hear is that they caught it in the early stages that time.

The important thing is that the disease is caught as early as possible.

Fingers crossed that the scan is clear as its not a nice disease. Keep us posted on how you get on and feel free to message me xxxx

Hi Marie as lyndix says everybody is different. In my left ear I was completely deaf before the operation but during the operation I had some repair work to the bones and now have some hearing which has improved over the years. My right ear that was done last year was the opposite I could hear pretty well in it but now it is very limited. I think it depends on what track the growth takes as well as it has affected my tongue as wll on the right side it is numb and can't taste things properly. On the plus side I am managing petty well without an hearing aid. I hope that your scan proves negative but either way let us know how you go on.

Sons operation is booked for next Monday (17th), Will be glad when it's over. X

Hope it all goes well :-)

---------- Post added 09-03-2014 at 22:55 ----------

Hope it all goes well :-)