Very Very Noisy Neighbours, very unpleasant

I know what you are going through the tenant that lives above me keeps her 2 year old child up until 2 to 3 o`clock in the morning and the child runs up and down constantly, technically their floor is about eight inches above our ceiling and its just like living in a drum. Her mother is the worse parent I have every known one morning her child was kept up till 4 a.m. Its been going on now every night since August, we filled in the diaries but as yet nothing even after recording the thumping on her floor with my camera

I had this problem, then I realised that I had a key to the shared cupboard in the garage which contained all the fuseboxes. After that if the noise continued after 11pm then they got their power shut off.

I had tried the council before, not much good really. I moved in the end. It's incredibly frustrating, and extraordinarily anti-social. I had also tried talking to them, and while they were very apologetic to my face, they just carried on as normal when drunk/off their tits.

if you have a video camera film from your side of the wall inside see if it picks up the music volume also film a clock to show time ect may help with council .....

As you dont have permission to record them i doubt the council would be able to use any recordings in court, you may also get in trouble for doing it

Is it rented? Find out who the landlord is (get office copies at land registry) and pester him/her about his awful tenants. Seriously feel for you; there's little worse than being kept up all night every night.

Rather cheeky, but I would consider playing them at their own game. Get up for work and put some brass band music/Cliff Richard/opera etc on.

Probably won't gain anything, and could potentially make matters worse, but will make you feel better for a little while!

That is an excellent idea. In fact, what I would suggest is warning your neighbours on the other side what you are going to do (I assume they probably work) then the day after the next night they are noisy put on some really loud opera like die fleidermaus or Wagner or even better a really screechy Phillip Glass CD on when you get up for work and leave it on at max volume all day while you are out.

Obviously they are staying up all night and then the next day will want to sleep it off, but they're disturbing you at the times you wish to sleep so what's good for the goose is good for the gander. And continue to do it until they stop.

not me, only in particular cases, i'm not going into details but i am not in a position to discuss things with them given the circumstances, and yes, if i go round they will know who reported them.

Hmm. One other thing. I strongly suspect that people who are going out until 1.30am then playing techno for the rest of the night are not simply drunk, I would be incredibly surprised if they weren't pilled up, had taken speed or even coke.

I know this is a bit nasty, but if it gets really bad you could tell the police you suspect your neighbour is dealing and embellish the story a bit. A visit from the plod might curtail their behaviour and drug intake for a bit.

Perhaps you're right. It shocks me the amount of people who would report their neighbours in any way possible before talking to them about it.

true but theres some very unpleasent people out there. all i got when i very politely went and spoke to them was a load of foul language and threats. if you think your at risk of getting a punch in the face then maybe its best not to bother and just report them instead?

Hmm. One other thing. I strongly suspect that people who are going out until 1.30am then playing techno for the rest of the night are not simply drunk, I would be incredibly surprised if they weren't pilled up, had taken speed or even coke.

I know this is a bit nasty, but if it gets really bad you could tell the police you suspect your neighbour is dealing and embellish the story a bit. A visit from the plod might curtail their behaviour and drug intake for a bit.

Is making up potential lies about your neighbours really a good idea? If the reason they wont talk to them IS because they're violent (I can't really think of another reason) then it's not really a good idea to go reporting a load of crap is it?

Is making up potential lies about your neighbours really a good idea? If the reason they wont talk to them IS because they're violent (I can't really think of another reason) then it's not really a good idea to go reporting a load of crap is it?

How would they know it was the OP? I would never normally suggest people do something like that but I've been in the same situation and it really is hell, it affects your work, it affects your physical and mental health and there's really very little you can do about it in the short term.

And it would only be a white lie because I'd be amazed if they weren't taking something, and if they're doing it that regularly they're probably knocking it out too, don't see how they could afford it otherwise unless they have v rich generous Mummies and Daddies who don't ask what they're spending their money on.

Please come to my house and listen to my neighbours. Every morning at 6.39 - 7.00 will get woken up to fatty shouting at her children, very verbal to two young children. Feel sorry for them both. But don't want to report as I don't want my windows doing anytime soon.

How would they know it was the OP? I would never normally suggest people do something like that but I've been in the same situation and it really is hell, it affects your work, it affects your physical and mental health and there's really very little you can do about it in the short term.

And it would only be a white lie because I'd be amazed if they weren't taking something, and if they're doing it that regularly they're probably knocking it out too, don't see how they could afford it otherwise unless they have v rich generous Mummies and Daddies who don't ask what they're spending their money on.

So it's OK to lie to the police about people if there's a chance it could be true? Also because they listen to Techno music they must be dealers? You have some weird ideas about life.

Ring 101 they will direct the call to the out of hours noise service which operates from 7pm to 2 am Sun to Thurs and until 3am on Fri and Sat. If you are a council tenant they will also pass the info to the appropriate housing office and their ASB team shoud contact you. If it is a HMO try contacting the Private Sector service as well as 101, they are based in Howden House I believe but if you ring the council no. they will put you through.

Good advice if you live in Sheffield. Here's the details: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pollution/noise-pollution/noise-nuisance

So it's OK to lie to the police about people if there's a chance it could be true? Also because they listen to Techno music they must be dealers? You have some weird ideas about life.

Nope. It's not because they listen to techno it's because they stay up all night listening to techno most nights. That suggests there is some kind of stimulant involved. And to be honest hardly anybody likes techno unless they're off their nut. And yes, I do think it's okay to do something like that if you suspect strongly enough and you are at the end of your tether with their noise.

It's not nice but they don't seem to give a **** about anybody who lives around them so why should their neighbour be bothered if they get a little hassle.