Old Police box locations

There was one on Ravencar Rd on the Manor.

There used to be a police box in between the stone wall of the Royal Infirmary. It was situated in the top half of Montgomery Terrace road opposite the Montgomery Medical Centre and more or less next to what used to be the Ski shop.

As kids we called it the coppers den.

I have recently written a short account of my early life in Central Division from 1961 which I am shortly handing over to the Emergency services Museum now based in my old nick at West Bar. It includes a nearly full list of the 40 odd boxes in Central Division which were bases for the 36 beats in the Division along with the brick built section station at Infirmary Road and the one built into Parkhill Flats. I will try to cut and paste the list on The Forum. Every box had a name, usually of the street where it was ....like Fitzalan, Eldon, Moorhead (but that was in Union Street), Exchange , Norfolk Bridge, Gower St etc etc.....watch this space! I was Pc441. Sadly, far too many of my wonderful colleagues have now passed on.....and in spite of what many of you may think but hopefully NOT SAY....they really were salt of the earth. I would personally like to have the Town Hall box kept in good repair as a monument to their service but there are too many moaning minnies who say that I should pay for it!

---------- Post added 09-02-2017 at 20:57 ----------

Here is a list of all the boxes on foot beats in B Division which I can remember. There will be many I cannot recall but here goes:

Bow

Bridgehouses

Infirmary

Pitsmoor

Ellesmere

All Saints

Gower,

Norfolk Bridge

Wicker

Nursery

Exchange

Parkhill

Fitzalan

Ellin St (Hereford?)

Sussex

St Mary’s

Lansdowne

Sharrow

Highfield

Pomona

Broomhall

Eldon

St Philips

Town Hall

Moorhead

In the Sixties two of these old boxes were replaced by “Section Stations”, these were Infirmary and Parkhill (Which replaced a box I think was in South St or Duke St). Such luxury for the officers on these beats for they had small Belling cookers and were properly heated!