Old Police box locations

Across from Locarno,Sharrow Lane yes and one Ireally remember at the top of Cemetery Rd and Sharrowvale Rd A group of us were headed for Endcliffe

Park and were near Wilson's snuff mill when B-17 Mi Amigo went overhead

and crashed in Enccs.All the crew were killed.The site was sealed and cleared,but I later found a bit of plexiglass which I carried with me for months

Across from Locarno,Sharrow Lane yes and one Ireally remember at the top of Cemetery Rd and Sharrowvale Rd A group of us were headed for Endcliffe

Park and were near Wilson's snuff mill when B-17 Mi Amigo went overhead

and crashed in Enccs.All the crew were killed.The site was sealed and cleared,but I later found a bit of plexiglass which I carried with me for months

one i remember in cavendish street set into side of springfield school.

Just remembered there was a police box at the junction of Western Bank and Hounsfield Road. Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo - it can be seen at the right-hand side..:)

there was one opposite burtons on Attercliffe common.always wondered what they were like inside.i know there was a phone.:suspect:

Just remembered there was a police box at the junction of Western Bank and Hounsfield Road. Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo - it can be seen at the right-hand side..:)

Boy, hillsbro, that junction has changed beyond recognition over the years.

Do you know what year the photo was taken?

echo.

...Do you know what year the photo was taken?..
May 1948 according to the picturesheffield.com data. The area certainly has changed - I worked at the University in 1968, at which time the old Scala building (left of centre) was used for laboratories. It seems that nothing visible in the photo is still there.

There was a police box at the junction of Gower St and Burngreave Rd.

There was one on or near summerfield st by the cemetery. I got caught playing with the old 999 phone .

There was one on or near summerfield st by the cemetery. I got caught playing with the old 999 phone .

hiya the one i remember was on cavendish st set into the wall of springfield school

are you a patto from capel street? i,m dave brumm from hobson ave

---------- Post added 04-03-2013 at 10:11 ----------

knew the thug who got the rhino whip he was a bullying thug and deserved it that was when there were no bleeding heart labour luvvies like you he even said he deserved it

---------- Post added 04-03-2013 at 10:13 ----------

I krew the thug who got the rhino whip he was a bullying thug and deserved it thst was when there were no bleeding heart labour luvvies like you he even said he deserved it

Don't think the " Going over " was done in a police box , which is what this thread is about ?

Hi mikebatty it certainly did happen I was passing the police box beside the Town Hall one evening after a night out in town and witnessed a violent fracas between a drunk and a police officer!.After a struggle the drunk was pushed into the policebox and for quite a time you could hear punches landing heavily,the box seemed to rock about I was glad I was on the outside not on the receiving end!.In those days 60s and 70s the police especially in the city centre were big tough guys not like nowadays,to me they look like spotty Herberts just out of school it must be a sign that I,m getting old,oh well!

Hi mikebatty it certainly did happen I was passing the police box beside the Town Hall one evening after a night out in town and witnessed a violent fracas between a drunk and a police officer!.After a struggle the drunk was pushed into the policebox and for quite a time you could hear punches landing heavily,the box seemed to rock about I was glad I was on the outside not on the receiving end!.In those days 60s and 70s the police especially in the city centre were big tough guys not like nowadays,to me they look like spotty Herberts just out of school it must be a sign that I,m getting old,oh well!

Hi old tup .

I wouldn,t doubt your word for a moment- it did happen .

some bobbies did take it upon themselves to meet out what they thought to be their idea of " just punishment" , they however ,were in the minority.

Fortunately, the regular policeman who patrolled the town hall square during the day in the late 60,s through the 70,s , who deserves to be mentioned - P.C. John Mason P.M. -who was an older P.C. was an absolute gentleman -was also an absolute diplomat . He would give someone a warning and sed them on their way with the comment " Now go on your way before a policeman comes and ; " doe's you ".

The Chief Constable at the time - Erick Barker - was the one who brought about the " new concept of policing in Sheffield - completed a new turn around in police methods , which was much needed after all that had gone before .His philosophy was that policing can only be carried out with the consent of the people . A much applauded principle .

As for the " Rhino Whip " incident , I don't think that took place in a police box did it ?

Edited by mikebatty