Old Police box locations

There was one at the junction of Tom Lane and Fullwood Rd, oposite Nether Green School, behind the old wooden bus shelter.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15976&pos=32&action=zoom&id=18725

In the picture below, you can just about see the police box on the right of the picture at the end of the shops

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15977&pos=33&action=zoom&id=18726

Edited by scargill

In the 50s I went to the original Broadway Infant School. Top of Twenty well Lane. There was a box built into the playground wall. We used to chat to the local Copper at playtime. Hard to think he would be about 90 now.

There was also one at the top of Olivers Drive, Darnall - just before the bridge on Handsworth Road.

Right lads and lasses, feeling a bit of a sad person, so what do you think of this suggestion.

Let's make a record on here for Sheffield history of the position of as many of the old Police boxes we can remember and of course your stories in connection with them.

Chippinghouse Rd jcn Abbeydale Rd o/s Post Office

Near bottom of Sharrow Lane, just up from bank ( now restaurant ) set into wall of Sitwell House.

Rivelin Valley Rd, bottom of Hollins Lane, side of river.

Must have been dozens of them, some of you old ex coppers on here will probably locate many !

Wicker , end of Nursery street in the middle of the junction .Car stalled at the lights at the lights at about 1 .00 am . after a good night at the Wakefield beer keller ( one of the first to open ) . Light on in the police box . 3 passengers got out to give a push . Quick exit out of the way . phew: ;);)

---------- Post added 29-12-2012 at 13:55 ----------

Wicker , end of Nursery street in the middle of the junction .Car stalled at the lights at the lights at about 1 .00 am . after a good night at the Wakefield beer keller ( one of the first to open ) . Light on in the police box . 3 passengers got out to give a push . Quick exit out of the way . phew: ;);)

London Road - by the Lansdown pub.

London Road - Corner of Lowfields school playground .

Fitzallen Square . Corner by Wigfalls at the top of the steps .

Recall being called to a disturbance at the " Marples " pub downstairs .Hats being thrown into the box and " get stuck in ".

Town Hall - Which I believe is still there , but used for other purposes.

---------- Post added 29-12-2012 at 14:12 ----------

Recall being called to a disturbance at the " Marples " pub downstairs .Hats being thrown into the box and " get stuck in ".

On Douglas Road ,opposite the bottom of Vale Road , Parkwood Springs . Recall being being picked up on Pickering Road for disturbing the peace when I was about 7 or 8 by bobby Lapper to be taken to the police box , or so I thought . We past my house , to be asked where I lived ! When I said " Back there " . Got a clip round the ear with his glove and dragged back to my house . I went into the house , told my parents there was some one to see them - disappeared into my bedroom - followed shortly afterwards by my mother - to be given another clip followed by the the comments , " bloody police coming to the house ".

---------- Post added 29-12-2012 at 14:13 ----------

On Douglas Road ,opposite the bottom of Vale Road , Parkwood Springs . Recall being being picked up on Pickering Road for disturbing the peace when I was about 7 or 8 by bobby Lapper to be taken to the police box , or so I thought . We past my house , to be asked where I lived ! When I said " Back there " . Got a clip round the ear with his glove and dragged back to my house . I went into the house , told my parents there was some one to see them - disappeared into my bedroom - followed shortly afterwards by my mother - to be given another clip followed by the the comments , " bloody police coming to the house ".

There was one at the junction of tulabardine road /greystones road set into the school wall. There was also one let into the wall a hunters bar school at junction road. Both locations can still be identified by the repaired stonework .

one at bottom of staniforth road, one at top of broughton lane and tinsley park road

thet were evrywhere police used to take so called hard cases in and give them a good hiding no do gooders in those happy days and no ooming rights

thet were evrywhere police used to take so called hard cases in and give them a good hiding no do gooders in those happy days and no ooming rights

Don't understand this one . Police box's were not big enough for two . How you can say that the " hard cases got a good going over " is beyond me . A clip round the lug is one thing . What you are suggesting is not even what the police want to-day. It is not for the police to be judge , jury and executioners . That is for the courts to decide . As for what you seem to be implying , those days are long gone thank goodness . See another thread on the " Rhino case " in Sheffield .

...those days are long gone thank goodness..
Yes, mostly, but there are exceptions...:|

Junction of Hallamgate Rd. and Taptonville Rd., set on the grass verge - this was here until quite late on. Also one at the bottom of Greaves St. or was it Grammar St.?

East Bank? of Hillfoot Bridge. Near Club Mill Road junction. Farfield pub nearby.

are you a patto from capel street? i,m dave brumm from hobson ave

---------- Post added 04-03-2013 at 10:11 ----------

Don't understand this one . Police box's were not big enough for two . How you can say that the " hard cases got a good going over " is beyond me . A clip round the lug is one thing . What you are suggesting is not even what the police want to-day. It is not for the police to be judge , jury and executioners . That is for the courts to decide . As for what you seem to be implying , those days are long gone thank goodness . See another thread on the " Rhino case " in Sheffield .

knew the thug who got the rhino whip he was a bullying thug and deserved it that was when there were no bleeding heart labour luvvies like you he even said he deserved it

---------- Post added 04-03-2013 at 10:13 ----------

I krew the thug who got the rhino whip he was a bullying thug and deserved it thst was when there were no bleeding heart labour luvvies like you he even said he deserved it

Edited by davebrmm