Memories of living on rudyard road and treswell crescent and the hillsboro

Coming out of Morrison's yesterday afternoon we were greeted by the ringing bells of the Sacred Heart. Looking up I saw that the Bell Tower was encased in scaffolding. It is going on thirty years since I lived dahn Rudyard and must be just as long since I have heard the Sacred Heart bells. Listening to the bells brought back memories, Sunday evenings late forties early fifties, we were put to bed to the sound of these bells. It got me to wondering, have these bells continued ringing during my absence, and I have just not been around to hear them, or have they been silent, and the scaffolding around the tower is for repair and maintenance of said bells. Anybody Know?

I spent some happy days down Rudyard. My Aunite ‘Pet’ lived at no 60. I played down there on sat afternoons in the early 70’s…billiant

I remember a Mrs Kay. My Mum used to get her what was known as pork chaps, I used to have to deliver them and one day i dropped the bag and out fell these jaw bones with teeth, then i really though she was a witch, she gave me a farthing to spend at the corner shop which i think was Masseys, so she wasn't that bad.

Can anyone remember Mrs West, she lived a few doors up from the man down the bottom who kept pigs, opposite lived the Spates who had a Dtr called Christine, and next to them lived Mr & Mrs Froggart, Mrs Froggart worked in Bassetts allsorts. Next to Mrs West lived Mr & Mrs Alfie Littlewood, there Son Stevie, and Dtr Maureen. Mrs West was my Nan, can anyone remember them

... the corner shop which i think was Masseys, so she wasn't that bad. Can anyone remember Mrs West, she lived a few doors up from the man down the bottom who kept pigs, opposite lived the Spates who had a Dtr called Christine, and next to them lived Mr & Mrs Froggart, Mrs Froggart worked in Bassetts allsorts. Next to Mrs West lived Mr & Mrs Alfie Littlewood...
Hi michael p - this scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory shows many of the people you mention - Massey's shop at No 40 on the corner of Rider Road, John West at No 89 and Alfred Littlewood next door at 91, also the Speights at No 70. The Froggatts evidently moved into No 72 a little later, as "Albert E. Froggatt" is shown there in the 1968 directory. By this time the Speights had evidently moved away, as a Peter Wright is shown at No 70 in the 1968 listing. So I guess your memories are from the mid- to late 1950s.

I remember a Mrs Kay. My Mum used to get her what was known as pork chaps, I used to have to deliver them and one day i dropped the bag and out fell these jaw bones with teeth, then i really though she was a witch, she gave me a farthing to spend at the corner shop which i think was Masseys, so she wasn't that bad.

Can anyone remember Mrs West, she lived a few doors up from the man down the bottom who kept pigs, opposite lived the Spates who had a Dtr called Christine, and next to them lived Mr & Mrs Froggart, Mrs Froggart worked in Bassetts allsorts. Next to Mrs West lived Mr & Mrs Alfie Littlewood, there Son Stevie, and Dtr Maureen. Mrs West was my Nan, can anyone remember them

Tha wun't get much for a farthin, even back then, I've been trying to remember if Massey's milk lollies (my favourites) were a haipney or a penny. I remember the names but can't put faces to them only old man Littlewood, and wasn't there another son Joe Littlewood?

Hi michael p - this scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory shows many of the people you mention - Massey's shop at No 40 on the corner of Rider Road, John West at No 89 and Alfred Littlewood next door at 91, also the Speights at No 70. The Froggatts evidently moved into No 72 a little later, as "Albert E. Froggatt" is shown there in the 1968 directory. By this time the Speights had evidently moved away, as a Peter Wright is shown at No 70 in the 1968 listing. So I guess your memories are from the mid- to late 1950s.

Some good old Rudyard names on that list Hillsbro, thanks for posting.

...old man Littlewood, and wasn't there another son Joe Littlewood?
In the 1968 directory "Joseph Littlewood" is the householder of No 91, but in the 1973 directory "Alfd. Littlewood" is again listed. As early as 1942 "Alfred Littlewood, labourer" is shown at No 91.

The births/marriages indexes show that an Alfred Littlewood married an Edith A. Glossop in Sheffield in 1931, and possible children are Brenda (1931), Stephen (1935), Maureen (1939) and Joseph (1941). An Alfred Littlewood, born in Rotherham in August 1895, died aged 91 in Sheffield in June 1987.

"John West, labourer" was at no 89 as long ago as 1925; by 1968 it was Kenneth West.

Thanks Hillsboro. I just wrote a load of memories and when i sent them it wouldn't go. Will try again tomorrow, many thanks for your help.

Kenneth and Sylvia West took on my Nans house when she went to live in Meersbrook, My Mum & Dad moved to Grenhill before that.

my great auntie , Edith Ward, lived at number 60 Rudyard rd pretty much all her life. Their family name was Rodgers. She was known as Pet to most people in the area

Hi Arnie,

I found your name while searching the internet & read your comments about Rudyard Road & the Smith family. Well here I am George Smith! I would like to get in touch so would appreciate it if you could message me on here. I am new to the forum so can not send you a private message yet. You can contact me on 0114 2347761. I look forward to hearing from you. George

Hi Arnie,

It's George Smith just trying to make contact again. Please give me a call on 0114 2347761.