Memories of living on rudyard road and treswell crescent and the hillsboro

SWEATSHOP BOY Did you work at an engineering firm on Holme Lane with a man called Tony Dawson he was my ex brother in law and still lives on Harrison Rd Malin Bridge? Can you remember a man with a club foot who had a big brown dog who was always fighting with the Bocking's dog,Bocking's dog got my dog in pup much to my mother's displeasure.This man rode a bike with just one foot ,his club foot was strapped to the bike.When you mentioned all the song's on the radio my wife and i where trying to piece the words together of the "THE THREE BELLS" we couldn't get it out of our minds, eventually we googled the words, so we could get to sleep and we've been singing or humming it all day.Can you remember when we wanted to get into the A picture's at the kinema and we use to stop the adults:huh: and ask if they would get us in. :huh:

Arnie, never worked on Holme Lane, can't place the name Tony Dawson.

The man with the clubbed foot was Mr Moore.

Nellie's posted the French version of The Three Bells (Les Trois Cloche) Les Compagnons and Edith Piaf, brilliant but in the fifties The Compagnon's without Piaf did an English version The Three Bells (The Jimmy Brown Song) a big hit, it was always on Two way Family Favourites. I always remember I was climbing over the wall in Scofield's/Hartley's yard to get to the river when it came on the Scofield's wireless I hung there till it had finished then continued my climb down to the river.

We went on many expeditions from t' Rudyard, up Rivelin, two of our favourite sites were, what we called the bomb hole (bomb oyl) a pond we were told was created by a German Land Mine, and was snided with frogs, and a ruin that I think must have been something to do with the rivers management, that's where we got our newts. A few years ago I tried to find these places with no success. We were sometimes out all day into the night (passed our bedtime) and our parents had to organise posse's to find us. Dressed in old shirts, sleeveless Fair Isle jumpers, corduroy or khaki cotton drill shorts held up by the ubiquitous snake belts and with our trusty old wello's on, and t' dog tugging on lead we'd set off from t' Rudyard. Carrying a jam jar strung on some string, fishing net on a bamboo cane and a bottle of Tizer, thus equipped we could have trekked across Africa.

Edited by Sweatshopboy

Hello Arnie I knew Pete Rodgers and David Lacy was in my class at school did Janis have a sister called Norma? I have forgotten their surname They live near Burberry's.

I was talking to a friend of mine and we were discusing all the different people who had taken over the corner shop this is the list I wonder if anyone could fill in the ones we could not remember.

The first ones I remember was Nellie Bocking,then Wombwells they had two daughters,

After them came Helen and Jack Croft they had one son.Then Brearleys who had a son and a daughter.After them came Daffs they had three children after this we cannot remember any more.

The other corner shop we can only remember Masseys and Tittertons.

Mrs Moore rings a bell but not sure.

David Lacey (Laylo) a good footballer, a photo of the Morley Street cup winning side of the fifties was in the local Sixer magazine a few months ago he was on it, wish I'd kept the magazine now.

Hi Nell,What a star you are putting us on to "you tube" ,I spent all night listening to all the old favourites, it was fantastic. I have only had the lap top for about 4 weeks and still finding my way about. I said i would'nt be dragged into the 21st century but i am glad i did, sharing these memorys has really been quite uplifting and i really look forward to reading all the postings.

Janis did have a sister called Norma but i can't remember the surname, not yet anyway.Kirbyshaws are the only other shopkeepers i can bring to mind at the moment ,not much help am i.:huh:

We've been talking about the river dahn t' Rudyard and something's been naggin' me, and I've finally realised what it is. We didn't call it the river , we called it the dyke, we always called it the dyke. I hope my memory is not playing me false. so come on someone confirm I'm right.

We always used to say lets gooan play dahn Dyke.Never called it the River.

Edited by nosy nellie

I've been posting on some speedway threads and it reminded me of this.

Rudyard Road and Treswell Crescent make a perfect cycle speedway track, and we kids used it as such, organising races between ourselves. We'd start at Baxter's at the bottom of the Crescent, do a lap of the Crescent and finish back at Baxter's. A couple of the kids had proper bikes with Sturmey Archer gears, racing handlebars and brakes. But most of us had what we called track bikes, old wrecks with a fixed gear, thick knobbly tyres, wide sit up and beg handlebars and a brake if you were lucky, mine the old (Pink Witch) didn't have any brakes, you stopped it by putting the sole of your foot on the front wheel rim. I can't remember winning a race (I blame it on the Bike) but I do remember tearin' dahn t' Rudyard and suddenly having to stop, I applied my brake to the wheel but my foot slipped and went straight through the spokes, I was catapulted straight over the handlebars. Apart from gravel rash I wasn't badly hurt but it was the end of the old Pink Witch and my speedway career.

I lived down bradfield rd as a young girl so the other side of the river was our play ground ,my sister and Ann bilbrough were friends .Nice to see a few of the old names .

Anne Bilbrough was a friend of mine,she went to live in Spain she recently came back but the last I heard she wasn't living in Sheffield.

I wonder if you remember the Tarzan field nobody seems to remember it only me I am beggining to think that it was a figment of my imagination.:loopy:

Nell ,the tarzan field is very real it was the kids in my era that named it.You could get to it from Bradfield Rd by climbing over the wall next to the Maypole and dropping down the other side,or going down any of the 4 passages on Treswell Cres. and crossing the dyke,at the other side there was a square hole and if you stooped slightly you could walk through it into the tarzan field.Suppose it's not there now.There was a near tragedy:huh::huh: when one day when the dyke was very high one of the Smith brothers carried me on his back across the dyke to go the tarzan field when he slipped and we both finished in the water, luckily he held on to me or i might not have been here today to tell the tale as i could'nt swim .Do you remember the Smith brothers,they lived in the top corner of Treswell what we used to call the bakehouse.There was George he was the hero of the hour ,John,Tommy and a sister called Alice. PS will talk about the cycle races tomorrow.:huh:

Just came across this thread brought back so many memories.some of the families i remember,Keyworths,sellars,burgess,gregorys.baxters burburys.surgys,rylett My family were tuffnell mum and dad(bob and irene) both passed lived at 25 rudyard rd burburys lived at 21 .margaret and jack both passed the kids were twins mick and dorothy,neville and simon .(mick sadly passed a few years ago) interested to read more recollections

Haven't seen Neville Burberry (Casper) for years now, last I heard he was doing some football coaching.