Memories of living on rudyard road and treswell crescent and the hillsboro

Sweatshop boy Gray's yard was between the Yorkshire Penny Bank and Randy's chip shop. Right at the bottom of Rudyard Rd lived a lad called Bill Wainright his father kept pig's in the yard.I remember all the family's you mention,the Gregory's lived at no8 Treswell Cres; the Coyle's at no30 and the Rylatt's at 27,Rudyard Rd.The Crappers and Schofields home's backed on to the river. Nosey nellie i know Margaret Rowe got married but i don't know who to ,I know she had twins ,did she take over Mrs. Rowe's house when she died 21 Rudyard? I remember very well playing on the bank,:huh: a boy called Eric Jowitt broke both his arms swinging on the tree's .Do you remember the son of the Kirbyshaw's or the Bocking's i can't bring to mind which family, the son was called Neville ,his nightclothes caught fire and he died from the burns ,they had the shop on the corner of Kipling rd, at a later date the eldest son of the Baxter's lived next door to this shop.Jonny Jolly lived on Rudyard Rd where the bungalow's are now ,didn't know about the nickname:huh:

Was the yard named after the engineering firm at the bottom of the slope? I don't recall it as Gray's yard, if we called it anything it might have been Randy's yard to us, but memory's like a sieve these days.

We did walk up the river but never dared walk all the way up to the paddling pool.

However did we survive all the pranks we got up to all that muck and Rats down in the river, we must have been made of stronger stuff in those days,we wern't mollicoddled and I must say I think the river was a lot cleaner then or am I looking through rose tinted specs.

I have sent you a P M about names you asked for.

It was Neville Bocking who was burnt.

Bockings lived in our yard and Baxters lived next door but one to us before they moved to take a pub.

I remember Beachells and Mrs Townroe.

Edited by nosy nellie

POP T i remember the Beachells they had a son called Norman.The Townrows lived at 31 Rudyard they had a brown airedale dog Nosey Nellie what was the name of your bother ? the one refered to with the chickens,did you have anymore sibling's, Does anyone remember when the river was really low walking up it all the way to the paddling pool at Rivelyn we had so much fun in those day's,i was alway's in trouble for coming home with shoes and sock's soaking wet.If i walked up to Rivelyn with my mum and dad we would:huh: call at the Hollybush for a drink ,what a treat:huh:

I remember the Beachell's but mostly a Mick Beachell and his cousin Sam Woolhouse, the Airedale dog rings a bell but I can't put faces to the owners.

Families I remember and their children, the Willerton's (Melvyn) Wragg's (Tony) Hartley's (Dave) Moore's (Alan) another family of Moore's (Eileen) don't think they were related to the previous Moore's Richardson's (Johnny.)

The Bank dahn t' Rudyard was a strip of wasteland about ten/twelve yards wide that ran along the barracks/Burdall's wall from Kipling down to Haggard, (mostly grass, exposed clay, rocks with a few trees and shrubs.) This was a favourite playground for us kids and we had a couple of ways of getting into the barracks/Burdall's, the most hazardous being to climb the small gap between a barbed wired wall and some corrugated iron fencing. Doing this we could be spotted from Haggard, and one owd lass in particular seemed forever on sentry duty and would shoo us away. I believe she was called Mrs Kay (does anyone remember her) and she frightened us to death, I've got a vision of an Old Mother Riley look alike waving a brush (or was it a broomstick) up at us, who were on the bank and clearing us off. As I have said it was hazardous, if we got passed Mrs Kay we had the barbed wired wall to climb, I'm just looking at two scars on my right arm caused by said wire. We were finally stopped using this route when one lad had his leg really badly cut, there was blood everywhere.

There are certain songs that whenever I hear them, I'm back dahn t' Rudyard on a fifties summer Sunday morning. There's owd lass Surgey sat on a chair outside her front room watching the world go by. At least half a dozen women in pinnies and turbans sat on their front doorsteps shellin' peas or pealin' spuds, two or three dogs sprawled on the pavements flagstones, panting and slavering in the heat. Every other house has Two Way Family Favourites on the wireless giving you a stereo effect, the sound never fades. We kids have chalked a set of wickets on a gable end and the shout goes up "hit or miss run two" and we hear Les Compagnons De La Chanson singing The Three Bells (the Jimmy Brown Song) or Jo Stafford singing You Belong To Me, Pat Boone, I'll Be Home and Vera Lynn Auf Weidersehen. This to me was Sunday morning dahn t' Rudyard and the sun was always shining.

Hi nell do you remember the Wilson's they had 7, children Dennis,Mary, Margaret we where in the same class at Morley st school,Jonny and Ann can't remember the other 2.By the way i have sent you a P.M

SWEATSHOP BOY You gave a very good description of the bank but i don't remember running the wrath of Mrs. Kay. There was a family Wraggs who had a daughter called Lorraine we use to call her RAINY WRAGG. Richardson's on Tresswell with a daughter Rita she married a Billy Allison and will be in her 70's now. Another Richardson on Rudyard had a son called Frank who was in the same class at Morley Street School as myself.Gray's yard was named after my father and his 3 brother's who had a workshop down there and 2 horses and 2 drays.They did removals and odd jobs,any kind of haulage,people moved house on the horse and cart in those day's:huh:

SWEATSHOP BOY Yes that's just a perfect picture you have painted ,the family's the cricket, just as i remember it and the smell of the sunday dinners cooking.The Surgey,s lived at no8 with the front door up the passage, what a different world today

Yes Arnie I remember the Wilsons but I only remember the two youngest Anne and Johnny,I was talking to Anne a couple of years ago remeniscing about Rudyard.

Rita and Frank both passed away sorry to say.

I knew Lorraine Wragg and her brother Tony.

There was also David Hartley used to see him sometimes down Hillsborough.

SWEATSHOP BOY Did you work at an engineering firm on Holme Lane with a man called Tony Dawson he was my ex brother in law and still lives on Harrison Rd Malin Bridge? Can you remember a man with a club foot who had a big brown dog who was always fighting with the Bocking's dog,Bocking's dog got my dog in pup much to my mother's displeasure.This man rode a bike with just one foot ,his club foot was strapped to the bike.When you mentioned all the song's on the radio my wife and i where trying to piece the words together of the "THE THREE BELLS" we couldn't get it out of our minds, eventually we googled the words, so we could get to sleep and we've been singing or humming it all day.Can you remember when we wanted to get into the A picture's at the kinema and we use to stop the adults:huh: and ask if they would get us in. :huh:

SWEATSHOP BOY Yes that's just a perfect picture you have painted ,the family's the cricket, just as i remember it and the smell of the sunday dinners cooking.The Surgey,s lived at no8 with the front door up the passage, what a different world today

Hiya Arnie, Nellie gave me a bell yesterday and it dawned on me straight away who you were, I thought I knew the name but it didn't register at first. You are right about Surgey's front door being down the entry. With all this talk about Rudyard I had a walk down their today, must be over twenty five years since I was last down there even though I pass it at least three times a week. Baxter's is flattened, the bank is still there but it is covered in trees now. I was looking at the old pavement flagstones and wondering if they were the same ones that we trod on, when I spotted the old cellar grates and thought of the times I'd been sent down the cellars when someone had locked themselves out, scroamed over the coal pile, found cellar steps up to kitchen and then let the occupants into their house. This was usually worth threppence, sometimes a tanner. By the way Arnie Surgey's front door is still dahn t' entry.

HI NELL ,Here are some names to tax your memory.Jackie Cochrane,,Peter Rogers all lived on Ryder road, also my aunty Connie, Mrs Moore she was my dads sister she lived at no11 Ryder Rd, she had one daughter who still lives at Stannington.Another lad David Lacey he lived on Treswell, David was a babe in arms when the war started,his mum use to bring him into the same air raid shelter that we used .His father was just climbing into the shelter when a bomb hit a house in Hawksley Ave ,i can see him now with his hair standing on end with the flash and the noise behind him, but he did'nt come to any harm. There is also a girl called Janis i can't recall her surname i think she lived at 25 Rudyard. By the way i broke the skylight at Rainy wragg's house playing football i can't remember my punishment or what happened to the ball.Thanks for your many replies and interest ,get the cogs turning again.:huh: