Memories of living on rudyard road and treswell crescent and the hillsboro

Just came across this thread brought back so many memories.some of the families i remember,Keyworths,sellars,burgess,gregorys.baxters burburys.surgys,rylett My family were tuffnell mum and dad(bob and irene) both passed lived at 25 rudyard rd burburys lived at 21 .margaret and jack both passed the kids were twins mick and dorothy,neville and simon .(mick sadly passed a few years ago) interested to read more recollections

Custard don't forget Custard.

Hi Nosey Nellie,Thanks you nudge my memory yes Eva was one of the girls ,Eric the brother and Cliff was the cousin his surname was Savage.Do you remember the Roes,probably no21 Rudyard they had 4 children Les,Margaret ,Alan and Neville.You say you lived at no30 was that Rudyard?Yes we did play out all day if we wer'nt in the river we where annoying the neighbours playing football and cricket in the street not many cars came along in those days.Didyou remember Gray's yard?

Did Margaret Roe marry a Grayson or am I getting mixed up again.I used to take one of the children to school for them and I don't know if it was Margaret or Allan.Yes we lived at 30 Rudyard Road.

We also used to play on what we used to call the bank which led to the wall between Rudyard and Burdalls we could get between the corrugated metal sheeting.

Mrs Willey used to keep chickens on the bank because she lived in the house at the side of the bank I remember one day my brother let all her chickens out and they were running all over the bank he was very young and was just curious.

Just came across this thread brought back so many memories.some of the families i remember,Keyworths,sellars,burgess,gregorys.baxters burburys.surgys,rylett My family were tuffnell mum and dad(bob and irene) both passed lived at 25 rudyard rd burburys lived at 21 .margaret and jack both passed the kids were twins mick and dorothy,neville and simon .(mick sadly passed a few years ago) interested to read more recollections

I remember you and your mother and Father you lived opposite just a bit further up,it jogged my memory about the family names on that side of the road.

Some other of the old family names are.Coyles,Schofield,Bilbroughs,Beaumont,Nixons.Wilsons,Crapper,Needhams,

Dysons,Websters,Baxters,hyams,

Custard don't forget Custard.

The story goes that Johnny Jolly used to be friends with michael Underhay so michael was given the nickname custard so they were called jelly and custard I don't know if this is true.

Come on Sweaty tell us some of the other nicknames we had down there.

Where was Grays yard?

Wasn't Gray's yard between Ryder and Haggard on the opposite side, about five houses down from Trevor Needham's or was it right at the bottom o't' rudyard on left hand side?

Didn't the twins Mick Burbeary and Dorothy live on Rudyard Road in the 50'/60's both went to Myers Grove in the 60's

Hi Trans you are correct,they lived at 21,we were at 25.Mick and dot lived their mum and dad, margret and jack and 2 brothers neville and simon. margret passed when simon was very young and i think simon went to live with dot. also mick joined the army but bought himself out.sadly mick died in his early 40s i think. the last time i saw dot she was living on the sutton estate at wisewood

Yeh I knew both of them at Myers grove too sorry to hear about mick

Sweatshop boy Gray's yard was between the Yorkshire Penny Bank and Randy's chip shop. Right at the bottom of Rudyard Rd lived a lad called Bill Wainright his father kept pig's in the yard.I remember all the family's you mention,the Gregory's lived at no8 Treswell Cres; the Coyle's at no30 and the Rylatt's at 27,Rudyard Rd.The Crappers and Schofields home's backed on to the river. Nosey nellie i know Margaret Rowe got married but i don't know who to ,I know she had twins ,did she take over Mrs. Rowe's house when she died 21 Rudyard? I remember very well playing on the bank,:huh: a boy called Eric Jowitt broke both his arms swinging on the tree's .Do you remember the son of the Kirbyshaw's or the Bocking's i can't bring to mind which family, the son was called Neville ,his nightclothes caught fire and he died from the burns ,they had the shop on the corner of Kipling rd, at a later date the eldest son of the Baxter's lived next door to this shop.Jonny Jolly lived on Rudyard Rd where the bungalow's are now ,didn't know about the nickname:huh:

Anybody remember the Glossops, the Beachells and the Townrows?

In the Rudyard

Mrs Townrow was the cashier at the Kinema Cinema for years lived near the Chip shop.

Happy Days! PopT

POP T i remember the Beachells they had a son called Norman.The Townrows lived at 31 Rudyard they had a brown airedale dog Nosey Nellie what was the name of your bother ? the one refered to with the chickens,did you have anymore sibling's, Does anyone remember when the river was really low walking up it all the way to the paddling pool at Rivelyn we had so much fun in those day's,i was alway's in trouble for coming home with shoes and sock's soaking wet.If i walked up to Rivelyn with my mum and dad we would:huh: call at the Hollybush for a drink ,what a treat:huh: