Memories of living on rudyard road and treswell crescent and the hillsboro

I didnt know anyone called Oliver how long ago are you talking about?

I remember Randy's chip shop,Agnes's little shop just further down from Randy's further down was Baxters fruit shop.

On the other side were two corner shops,Masseys and Bockings, which changed hands quite a few time so were known my other names as well,but I am talking about the first shopkeepers I remember.

I live next door to Agnes little now

Do you remember the Dewsnap family and their son Ernest who was on the clubs singing under the name of Johnny Rivers.

He would be about 72 years now if he is still around, I wonder what happeed to him?

Happy Days! PopT

I (Anita nee Chapman) used to live across from Ernest Dewsnap in Rider Road. Would love to know if he is still around.

Hi Nosey Nellie and everybody who replied to my request,many thanks I was born on treswell Cresc, 76 years ago ,i lived there till i was 22 when i moved to Lowedges with my parents.When i got married i moved back to Taplin Road so i am a real hillsboro lad.Now retired i live in North Northumberland but still have fond memories of my days in hillsboro .Every body looked out for each other and each others kids like one big family. They would call it plain nosey these days but it worked for us.Most of the mums use to work the evening shift at Bassets and the men at Daniel Doncasters.Nosey on another thread you where asking about the twins and the triplets. The twins where Ronnie and Arthur Brearley and they had a sister Shelia they lived at no.24 The triplets where Margaret, Muriel and Mavis Beal they had two brothers Clifford and Eric.I remember all the shops you refer to on Rudyard especially Randy's chip shop ,he use to pretend to chase me with the big knives he chopped the fish with .Does anyone remember Gray's yard and the horse and cart, they did removals for people and anything that needed shifting,that was my father and his brothers.Till the next time keep the memories flowing::huh::

I didnt know anyone called Oliver how long ago are you talking about?

I remember Randy's chip shop,Agnes's little shop just further down from Randy's further down was Baxters fruit shop.

On the other side were two corner shops,Masseys and Bockings, which changed hands quite a few time so were known my other names as well,but I am talking about the first shopkeepers I remember.

The Olivers lived at number 33.

Hi Nosey Nellie and everybody who replied to my request,many thanks I was born on treswell Cresc, 76 years ago ,i lived there till i was 22 when i moved to Lowedges with my parents.When i got married i moved back to Taplin Road so i am a real hillsboro lad.Now retired i live in North Northumberland but still have fond memories of my days in hillsboro .Every body looked out for each other and each others kids like one big family. They would call it plain nosey these days but it worked for us.Most of the mums use to work the evening shift at Bassets and the men at Daniel Doncasters.Nosey on another thread you where asking about the twins and the triplets. The twins where Ronnie and Arthur Brearley and they had a sister Shelia they lived at no.24 The triplets where Margaret, Muriel and Mavis Beal they had two brothers Clifford and Eric.I remember all the shops you refer to on Rudyard especially Randy's chip shop ,he use to pretend to chase me with the big knives he chopped the fish with .Does anyone remember Gray's yard and the horse and cart, they did removals for people and anything that needed shifting,that was my father and his brothers.Till the next time keep the memories flowing::huh::

If I rememberr correctly the Brearleys had a few family extended relations living down Rudyard just like everyone else down there, Arthur and Edna lived in our yard when they had the corner shop.I still see two of the triplets shopping down Hillsborough and I think they had another sister Eva.

I have also asked people on here about the Tarzan field and playing down the Dyke and in the river and walking under the Bridge when the river was low in the summer I think we could walk up towards Limbrick under the bridge.

No staying indoors for us we were always out and about and just going home when we were hungry.

Sorry Kid I still don't remember the Olivers and I lived at number 30 and was born there in my grandmothers house but maybe a bit before my time.

I am just trying to think about that side of the road and I can't remember any families only the Burberry's.I will give it a bit more thought it's an age thing.

Yes that would be Ron Furness and his wife Jean and their Family.

I wonder if thats the same Furness couple that worked at the elderly houseing on Stannington Road.

Just came across this thread brought back so many memories.some of the families i remember,Keyworths,sellars,burgess,gregorys.baxters burburys.surgys,rylett My family were tuffnell mum and dad(bob and irene) both passed lived at 25 rudyard rd burburys lived at 21 .margaret and jack both passed the kids were twins mick and dorothy,neville and simon .(mick sadly passed a few years ago) interested to read more recollections

Saw Beal sisters on hillsborough this week they now live on wisewood,worked at simpkins with my wife June,used to go to mend there washer.

Hi Nosey Nellie,Thanks you nudge my memory yes Eva was one of the girls ,Eric the brother and Cliff was the cousin his surname was Savage.Do you remember the Roes,probably no21 Rudyard they had 4 children Les,Margaret ,Alan and Neville.You say you lived at no30 was that Rudyard?Yes we did play out all day if we wer'nt in the river we where annoying the neighbours playing football and cricket in the street not many cars came along in those days.Didyou remember Gray's yard?

Edited by Arnie Gray

Hi Nosey Nellie,Thanks you nudge my memory yes Eva was one of the girls ,Eric the brother and Cliff was the cousin his surname was Savage.Do you remember the Roes,probably no21 Rudyard they had 4 children Les,Margaret ,Alan and Neville.You say you lived at no30 was that Rudyard?Yes we did play out all day if we wer'nt in the river we where annoying the neighbours playing football and cricket in the street not many cars came along in those days.Didyou remember Gray's yard?