Are jehovahs witnesses a mind control cult

I have a friend who is dating a Jehovahs witness and he and his girlfriend have to pretend to not be together in public. The reason the girl whose family are Jehovah's witnesses has not just straight up told her family that she's dating someone is because she is afraid of the community ostracising her.

Control through fear, yes the JW has many cult-like characteristics.

Nope, I am a pagan and i have never forced my child to follow my way of life.... Ever :)

Can I ask how you avoid that? if you live as a family don't you all live in the same way? and if not then how do you avoid doing so and still keep the family harmonious? do your opinions and beliefs never get mentioned? do you hide what what you believe to be right or defend it?

If you believe that you have found a good set of beliefs and a good way to live then is it right to deny a child guidance based on your hard earned life experience, or should we let our children flounder and make lots of avoidable mistakes...yes they will do so but surely our job as a parent is to guide our children and to help them grow, surely that means giving them knowledge and information.

I'm not getting at you Norks and I am sure that you are a brilliant parent, but I really don't agree with the idea of children deciding for themselves, because really children do need guidelines.

I'm not getting at you Norks and I am sure that you are a brilliant parent, but I really don't agree with the idea of children deciding for themselves, because really children do need guidelines.

They don't need guidelines for what to believe. They just need guidelines for how to behave.

I see nothing wrong with giving children knowledge, it's beliefs I don't think you should give them.

Can I ask how you avoid that? if you live as a family don't you all live in the same way? and if not then how do you avoid doing so and still keep the family harmonious? do your opinions and beliefs never get mentioned? do you hide what what you believe to be right or defend it?

If you believe that you have found a good set of beliefs and a good way to live then is it right to deny a child guidance based on your hard earned life experience, or should we let our children flounder and make lots of avoidable mistakes...yes they will do so but surely our job as a parent is to guide our children and to help them grow, surely that means giving them knowledge and information.

I totally understand where you are coming from and in my household my children always get the choice to participate in my beliefs.

If samhain is approaching then i ask if they want to celebrate in the pagan way or whether they would like to dress up and go trick or treating(well when they were young enough )

I guide them when i think they need guiding but i would never bring my religion into it.

I have instilled in them to have faith in themselves first before anything else and have tried to teach them about lots of different religions, i think both of them are pretty level headed when it comes to religion and either of them follow any.

:)

They don't need guidelines for what to believe. They just need guidelines for how to behave.

I see nothing wrong with giving children knowledge, it's beliefs I don't think you should give them.

Yes I do see what you're getting at but isn't it kind of the same thing when you think about it really?

The way that you behave is what you were taught or have learned benefits you in society, it may not be what your child would want to do or find natural, it is still a form of mind control...but obviously a form of control that you feel is good.

I am sure that people who teach beliefs do so for exactly the same reasons.

thanks for your input everyone

i studied with the witnesses for a good few years and was very sceptical when i started with them [i was also a sunday school teacher when i was younger and knew my bible]

so all my lessons with them involved me challenging thier teachings [this was before the onset of the aids outbreak] since the aids issue thier beliefs as regards blood has been somewhat vindicated [asked the ones who needed regular blood transfusions like hymaphiacs etc who recieved tainted blood & now have aids because at the beginning of the aids out break blood was not tested as rigourous as it is now] back in the 80`s some surgeons were opperating using blood expanders, even heart surgery, but i suppose blood is cheaper to use than expanders, to me the issue of blood use is a personal choice i would not impose it on anyone let alone a child

i never found them controlling and agree with a lot of what they teach- my studies ended

mainly because i cannot stop smoking & so could not be accepted as a witness but at no time was i made to feel an outcast as i said my studies involved me challanging thier teachings which they atempted to prove not only whith the bible but with the history books [ the guy i took studies with studied ancient history at uni] i never found the ones i was studing with overbearing just the opposite. religious beliefs are are specific to each individual and as such dont think i or anyone has the right to say that thier belief is the right one or the wrong one ,my own out look is to try and treat others as you would want to be treated i think if we all did this the the world would be a lot better place to live

They're controlled by the illuminati, which is spearheaded by Tom Cruise. So yes, you are right.

Tom Cruise is a member of the Church of Scientology. Nothing to do with the JWs

But the Illuminati are? It was a joke! :)

They play up on peoples fears and frustrations of what is happening in the world and then once they have gotten their full attention, they brain wash them.

as the title reads im really interested , not wanting to argue just to know peoples personal experiences , i am a dissolutioned jehovahs witness

they couldn't mind control me that's for sure nor anyone I know. They are just preachers preaching their religion I've had debates with them and the mormons and nope no control at all. Having said that none of the Darren Brown stuff works on me either.

now the Scientologists are into mind control but they can only control the weak minded.