Ballpark figure for plans & planning permission

Hi,

We're exploring the possibility of getting an extension on our semi-detached house. We've had a few builders round for quotes and stuff and they've told us we'll need planning permission. I'm going to ring the Council soon to see if they can confirm this but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone can give me a rough idea of the cost of getting plans drawn up? Do people submit their own applications or get people to do it for them?

I've had a look on the internet (and on the business directory here - it's why I registered!) for plan drawers but the sites seem not to list prices?

Anyone had experience of doing it on their own? Is it easy?!

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Theo

Hi,

We're exploring the possibility of getting an extension on our semi-detached house. We've had a few builders round for quotes and stuff and they've told us we'll need planning permission. I'm going to ring the Council soon to see if they can confirm this but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone can give me a rough idea of the cost of getting plans drawn up? Do people submit their own applications or get people to do it for them?

I've had a look on the internet (and on the business directory here - it's why I registered!) for plan drawers but the sites seem not to list prices?

Anyone had experience of doing it on their own? Is it easy?!

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Theo

you will need planning permission and will need to follow building regs aswell.

they wont show prices as each job is differant so prices will differ from job to job.

you will probs need an architect to draw up the plans for the planning permission you will need to pay the architect and then pay to submit them to the council. i think also you have to pay for the building regs inspector to come out too but not 100% on that.

the plans/drawings are very complicated and everything in them has to be spot on so its worth having an architect do them.

we recently had a loft conversion which turned into an entire house renovation :hihi: it was hard work as we did a lot of the cosmetic work ourselves but we would never have dreamt of doin the plans ourselves.

our loft cost us just short of £8000

my sister in law just had an 2 story extension on her 2 bed semi and just the shell, plumbing and electrics cost her £10,000 and all she gained was another very small bedroom, a dinning room and very small kitchen and she had to have her bathroom put in her kitchen and its tiny!!

reasonable costs should see you at around 5% of build costs. shop around

Edited by lomax

Scuse me. Double post.

we use neil at http://www.plansforextensions.com he gives an idea of the cost involved for an extension on his web site

I would recommend Neil also.

He did the plans for our extension.

Planning Permission Fee is £150

Plans for Planning and Building regulations fixed price £700

Building Regulations Fee to be confirmed around £500

Structural Calcs around £200 to be confirmed

You may wish to look at our website http://www.thedesignteampartnership.com

We have extensive experience in our field and would welcome the opportunity to quote for you but we would require further information on the extension you require to give you a realistic fee proposal and offer references.

Please do not hesitate to call us on 0114 2551148.

There is a company called SC Design who gives free advice. You can contact via sheffieldreviews.co.uk here: sheffieldreviews.co.uk/component/content/article/49-architecture/85-sc-design