Meals our mothers cooked in the old days

Does anyone remember traditional meals from the 1950s and 1960s and do they still eat them today?

Great Uncle Ike (1950's) used to have Tripe and onions with loads of salt and vinegar every Friday. Stunk the house out. Still see it on sale in the fish market. Never tried it, the smell put me off for life.

.....................ox tail! Still cook it from time to time in the slow cooker, as it takes hours in an oven, and becomes a bit costly as you watch the meter whirling ropund!

Meat and potato pie with Hendersons relish.....I still make it for my grandchildren and a cafe near us makes a really good one if I am feeling lazy. Cow heel and leg beef.....good for anyone convalescing so I was told but I hated it. Tripe...my dad and I liked ours as it came with salt and vinegar on but mum liked hers cooked in milk with onions. Corned beef and chips just before payday when money was short....it wasn't a luxury item like it is these days.

Sunday Mornings

Fried bread and HP sauce. Couldn't afford bacon n eggs to go with it.

Edited by patto
spelling mytayke

Hash. Like meat and potato pie without the pie crust. Always with Henderson's Relish. Custard (not the liquid) with a crust. Apple pie. Meals she threatened us with: 's**t with sugar on!'

Love Cowheel and Leg Beef I still make it delicious hot like a stew and fantastic if you press it and eat it cold as a sandwich.

Also we used to have Udder for supper the gravy was great.Took ages to cook but worth it.

Rabbit and Spare Rib Stew.usually lt was pronounced Rabbit and Sparib stew.

Nothing like a suck on a pig tail or a pigs foot.

Grannies home made rice pudding baked in a yorkshire range coal fired oven every Sunday. Kept in the oven all week till the skin on top was as tough as old boots by following Saturday. Used to feed it to dog. Kept him chewing for hours.

My mother cooked tripe and onions in milk, but I could never eat it. :gag: We also had something called stovies, basically onions fried slowly til they go dark brown then potatoes and water added and cooked til soft. Always eaten with corned beef. I might try making them again, cheap, easy and tasty.

She also baked every week, and made lemon curd. My auntie always made jam, and apple jelly. I think we ate well in the 1950s, good home cooking, although a pudding was a rare treat in our house. :o

Not much to add but just to agree with whats gone before

Hash

Bubble and Squeak on a Monday with leftovers from Sundays roast

Oxtail - always mean to do this myself but never seem to get round to it

Meat and Potato Pie - one of my regrets is never getting the recipe from my Mum before she passed away

Scallops (Sliced potatoes not the shellfish) with a tin of tomatoes on fried bread - my granddads favourite tea on a Friday night - bath time for me in the tin bath in front of the fire and then sharing granddads tea - I can only have been around 4 or 5 but comes back to me so strong I can still taste it.

Stewed steak and Onions - cooked slowly until the meat just fell apart.

....and heres me on the strictest diet of me life!!