Ellesmere road school, did you go there?

I remember Stuart Hackett, Roy Sales, Susan Harrison, John Whitworth and Raymond Stow. I was Lesley Farrell. I walked in front of a swing on the Wembley once and got concussion. Remember Mr Scott at the baths with his rubber broom? He held it in front of you to try and get you to swim further but we believed that he’d never let anyone grab it. My husband and his sister used to have to walk all the way to Scott Road baths from Firshill School! I remember one play at the Community Centre, think it was Hansel

& Gretel. Also remember Mr Ellis, Miss Duncan and Mr Albaya. He was in the Spanish Civil War, I discovered years later. He used to shoot us with his banana, and sometimes shout “And shall Trelawny die?” from the song about the trial of the 7 bishops, I think. We were happy, I’m sure.

---------- Post added 24-01-2018 at 20:46 ----------

No, didn’t know that.

My Bold

That would be around 1955-56 time.

Hi All

I,m a late visitor to this topic but have read all the posts. A few of my memories to share, I left Ellesmere about 1958 ish but I do remember Mr Albaya very well as I used to play with his son who was in my class. A couple of names I recall.

Faye Palfreman whose parents owned the shop on the corner opposite the school, and Gloria Grounsill (may have spelt her surname wrong). I still have a class photo which I will endeavour to find and post.

Lesley, I hope you can remember me. Jacqueline Rushforth. You lived Harleston Road and one of your neighbours was a photographer, if my memory serves me well.Your house was opposite the corner shop.I once stayed at your grandmothers with you and I seem to remember we made a tent in your grandmothers sitting room.I think your grandmothers house was in either Shiregreen or Shirecliffe.I remember going on school trips,one to Stratford on Avon and one to York.We paid by installments, weekly at school.How fantastic to hear from you.Hope you receive this, as I am new to the forum site. Yes, Mr. Scott was a one off, thank heavens. I,ve still got some of my swimming certificates and school reports.Funny how I've kept these.How the memories come flooding back.I did'nt pass the 11 plus, but I'm sure you did.Take care,Jackie.

Hi Jackie, Yes, I remember you, though not terribly well I’m afraid. My lovely Gram lived at Shirecliffe and died in 1983. I remember the trip to Stratford, and didn’t we go to Warwick Castle on the way and a man told us about ghosts? Don’t remember going to York. Don’t remember a neighbour being a photographer. I still have my reports too, my grand-daughters like to giggle over them! I did pass the 11+ and went to Abbeydale. I live in North Yorkshire where we still have grammar schools and I invigilate for 11+. So many of them are coached now, it is sad. I think we just turned up at school one day and did it, and so did my daughters, though coaching was creeping in by then. We have lots of children from prep schools sitting these days. I wonder if anyone from an area as poor as ours was would get in these days, though I think we were very well taught, perhaps because we had A and B classes - frowned on now but effective. I have an exercise book called Social Studies, with History at one end - Roman invasion, King Arthur, St Augustine etc and Geography at the other - the rivers of Sheffield, stuff about whaling, Canada and Antarctica, which is apparently “very cold”! My ability at drawing has not improved a bit.

Just lost my Dad last year at nearly 96, so am feeling a bit ancient but in reasonable health. Hope you are too, Lesley

Edited by Emilia8
Typo

I’m John Mulhearn lived opposite the baths I new Robert Powell but cannot make out who bossdogg is or pitsmoor boy

Didn't attend the school but did go to nursery at 3 years old on the 1950s and had breakfast and an afternoon sleep!

18 hours ago, John mulhearn said:

I’m John Mulhearn lived opposite the baths I new Robert Powell but cannot make out who bossdogg is or pitsmoor boy

Hi John I remember going to Endcliffe park you and your brother there were a few others also we went looking for conkers. I remember your brother losing his bus fair. bossdogg is Stephen Dukowski he lived on Spital Lane I’m Tommy Robinson I lived on Ditchingham St.

I went to Ellesmere Road School Infants and Juniors leaving in 1952 to start at Firth Park Grammar.  The teachers I remember are Mr Albaya and Mr Goldstone, the others have slipped from my memory along with many other things.  I remember though Mr Goldstone taking a party of us camping in the Hope Valley.  The camp site was the back lawn of his house at Edale so not quite wild camping.  But I think we enjoyed the week with lots of walking and even wild swimming in a river in the area - freezing cold!  His wife I remember was very nice to us.  I think there were only boys on the trip and she was the subject of much speculation as she wore an ankle chain.  This was supposedly a sign of relaxed morals and provoked much discussion and arguments between those who found it exciting and those who wouldn't believe anything bad of such a lovely lady.  And none of us over 11!

Some of the pupils I remember are Peter Beevers, Malcolm Marsden, Pat Onions, Alan Denial, Sandra Finney, Judy Richardson (Earsham St), Tessa Connolly whose parents had a restaurant in the Wicker, Marion Cox, John and Robert South - twins, Sylvia Ellis, Arthur Phillips (Clun St), Norman Naylor to name but a few.

Out of school I hung around with Melvyn Rawson, Eric Renshaw, Jimmy Walker, Alan Knowles, ? Beighton, can't believe I've forgotten his first name.

Unlike today's kids we wandered far and wide visiting both Hillsbrough and Bramall Lane for football, trainspotting at Victoria Station, Smith's Fields on Petre Street,  Longley Park Open Air Pool,  Millhouses Park and Woods and Roe Woods for the ponds and fishing for newts, tadpoles and sticklebacks.  All gloriously free of adults! 

I lived on Gower Street next but one to Hawksworth's Paper Shop (previously Miss Walker's) and my uncle Charlie Blades had the barber shop down the road just before the Gower Arms.

Love to hear from any of the above or anyone who I have left out due to faulty brain connections. 

I should say that I am Brian Ayres and some may know my brother Fred who now lives in Spain.

Happy Days!

• Like 1

i i went to ellesmere school my teacher was mr schofield lovely man i was milk monitor i was friends with everton lawrence he came from jamaica he was a good pal sadly i heard he returned to jamaica and died of a heart attack 

On 30/10/2019 at 19:43, yatesace said:

i i went to ellesmere school my teacher was mr schofield lovely man i was milk monitor i was friends with everton lawrence he came from jamaica he was a good pal sadly i heard he returned to jamaica and died of a heart attack 

Wow, I knew Everton & his brother Clinton they lived on Malton Street they were older than me & I am surprised that I have not heard about Everton's sad passing. He would be in his mid sixties im guessing?

On 01/11/2019 at 07:55, alf1956 said:

Wow, I knew Everton & his brother Clinton they lived on Malton Street they were older than me & I am surprised that I have not heard about Everton's sad passing. He would be in his mid sixties im guessing?

Everton lived on Ditchingham St in the mid 60s. I remember when Wednesday and Everton played in the FA cup final in 1966 he was going round chanting for Everton because they’d got the same name.

Does anyone remember the Maycock family? I went to Ellesmere with John and Susan.

9 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

Everton lived on Ditchingham St in the mid 60s. I remember when Wednesday and Everton played in the FA cup final in 1966 he was going round chanting for Everton because they’d got the same name.

Does anyone remember the Maycock family? I went to Ellesmere with John and Susan.

That name sounds familiar, when were you at Ellesmere ? I left in 1948.

20 hours ago, Kidorry said:

That name sounds familiar, when were you at Ellesmere ? I left in 1948.

I went there from 61-67.