Mayfield Environmental Education Centre to Close

I think the big problem is transport to the centre from the school.

I seem to have read somewhere coach hire is £200 a day.

Some schools may pay for the centre themselves, some may ask parents.

I can imagine that with the additional cost of transport that some parents may be reluctant to pay, particularly schools in the deprived areas of Sheffield.

Not a lot of money, actually incredibly cheap, but to some parents that is a packet of fags and as so they don't pay it.

Yes and as said by councillor Sangar, the schools need to use the facility and often the cost may be passed on to the parents, or some of it anyway

This is so sad. My brother went there when he was young. He absolutely loved it. It was one of the few things that kept him going to school. With the modern trend toward tiny houses with hardly any garden and kids glued to games consoles they need somewhere like this to learn to enjoy the outdoors

Here is an email forwarded from the Sheffield Astronomical Society:

"The head teacher of a Sheffield school is as concerned as we are about the potential closure of Mayfield at the end of July and has organised a meeting for all concerned parties at Mayfield on Wednesday 9th March starting at 4 p.m. "

How many teachers can be at the Centre for 4pm on a school day? Totally unrealistic!

How many teachers can be at the Centre for 4pm on a school day? Totally unrealistic!

A good point.Although some do finish at 3.10pm, but it would have more impact if the time was later.

Some time ago, there were comments relating to Mayfield Environmental Education Centre, based on the expectation/rumour, that the school was, or about to be, closed down.

Well this is not the case, and for all that may be interested, there is now a group, Friends of Mayfield Environmental Centre who are working with the Council to endeavour to keep the Centre open by taking bookings from schools, as in the past, but no longer through Thornbridge, as funding for this centre is on a totally independent basis.

We have a website which will be updated regularly, with news letter, booking contacts (mobile calls on 07936462002 taken between 3pm. & 6pm. Mon. to Fri.)

We will be considering other options for use of the facilities.(Any suggestions?)

For now this will be “watch this space…….. but if you would be able to help as well …….Great!!!

Resurrecting this thread, as it seems that Mayfield is under threat again, thanks to financial issues. The centre is an important resource for Sheffield school kids and it would be a shame to lose it.

A petition against the closure has been set up - you can find it here:

https://Sheffield.moderngov.co.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?id=108

so it would be great if concerned folks could go sign, Cheers!

I've signed it.

It would be a sad loss to Sheffield if this centre closed, it is a unique place for school children to go and learn about geography with a hands on approach to learning about the local flora & fauna in a safe environment.

That's sad I went there with School, and was just reminiscing the other day about where we went on school trips and found Eden Camp North Yorks, Jorvik Viking Centre York, brilliant, Gainsborough Hall Gainsborough Lincoln Henry The Eighth stayed there, and it's apparently haunted & Mayfield Environmental Children's Centre, also Thorn-Bridge four words very muddy bog trotters lol great times nice memories. :);)

I wonder if children today get the chance to visit all these brill places or that is now a thing of the past?? school trips there is probably an app for that instead lol. :)

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 14:31 ----------

I have signed the petition. :)

Edited by KitKats

It wont be long before all the council do is empty bins and turn the street lights on at night.

It would be such a shame if this closed. It's a brilliant centre, and Sheffield Astronomical Society are fantastic. Surely there must be a way to keep it open.