Sheffield housing waiting time ( ridiculous)

what is the average you have to be registred before you get offered a house we have been trying 7 years bidding on houses every week with not a single offer

You don't get offered them at all, you bid on them.

If you haven't been the top bidder on any of the properties you've bidded on it's because somebody else was able to bid more (eg by having more years to bid with). Just like eBay. If you bid "7 years" and somebody else bids "10 years", you won't be the winning bid.

Edited by jgharston

I don't understand this at all so I really am asking out of curiosity, why would you 'need' housing if you had been waiting 9 years? What have you been doing for those 9 years?

i had been thinking the same thing.

how many of these people that are on the waiting list actually have a desperate need to be rehoused?

i remember on another, similar, thread that i've been trying to find where a poster stated that they had gotten fed up of bidding and not getting a property so they went private rent to get the kind of house they wanted sooner - well, then surely they didnt have a real, acute need for social housing if they could afford to rent privately?

even 5 years ago when i left uni and was looking for my own place to rent i was advised by so many people to get onto the waiting list so i could build up waiting time... for what??? i didnt need/want a council house

i had been thinking the same thing.

how many of these people that are on the waiting list actually have a desperate need to be rehoused?

i remember on another, similar, thread that i've been trying to find where a poster stated that they had gotten fed up of bidding and not getting a property so they went private rent to get the kind of house they wanted sooner - well, then surely they didnt have a real, acute need for social housing if they could afford to rent privately?

even 5 years ago when i left uni and was looking for my own place to rent i was advised by so many people to get onto the waiting list so i could build up waiting time... for what??? i didnt need/want a council house

Its strange isn't it? To wait that long for a council house (which never seem to be in the best area) when you could rent privately or be saving to buy your own house. Why are people so desperate to live in council houses that they'll wait 10 years for one?

I kinda thought the same.....'homeless' to me is no home, no where to live, no family to help you out and certainly no internet access.

"Sofa surfing" amongst friends, free access to the internet in libraries for human beings, public wifi, mobiles phones - the internet is not forbidden to the homeless.

Family conflict at 'home'/mental health/drug problems, routes of future homelessness, overcrowding, poor living conditions etc.

A cell for each is not the objective. Adequate housing for all is.

<removed>it is then because groups of housing is ring fenced for them ONLY!

Maybe you should only write what you actually know about and not just what you THINK might be true.

I should have made my post clearer, my mate had 9yrs waiting time but was only bidding for the last 3 mths (from Sept 2010) and he managed to get a house.

I write what i do know about and the ringfenced propertys you are on about is a totally different thread that has been done before.

I don't understand this at all so I really am asking out of curiosity, why would you 'need' housing if you had been waiting 9 years? What have you been doing for those 9 years?

You may well ask. Here's a possible scenario: someone registered as a single person in 2002 - 9 years ago. They may have been living with parents, or even flat sharing. Now, they might have a partner, and a family, and are paying rent to a private landlord of at least £400 per month. A council house would cost significantly less in rent (Sheffield average around £60 a week), and after 5 years they can apply to buy at a discount. Hence, some wait it out (years) for a house, rather than bid on maisonettes which they would normally get a bit quicker.

If they don't work and get full housing benefit, they can probably afford to stay where they are up to a certain level of rent. But, if they are working, and getting no housing benefits, then a cheaper rent is obviously attractive.

Lots of people (even owner occupiers :o) register with the council, and build up waiting time. Many councils don't allow this, but Sheffield has an 'open' register. Thats why the numbers of people on it appear ridiculously high. The majority of people on the open housing register never bid on a property.

The majority of social housing (council and housing association) is let to those considered to be in need of housing. Councils have a statutory duty to rehouse people in certain categories - those people will be given a priority which doesn't take into account waiting time.

Just a few more bits of information which people can believe or not:

• People who apply on homeless grounds are checked out, and if they are found to have made themselves intentionally homeless do not get priority for housing. Anyone who wants to see if they are eligible, check it out on the Shelter website: http://england.shelter.org.uk/
  • European and other economic immigrants are not given housing the minute they walk off the plane.
  • Asylum seekers are sometimes housed in council owned accommodation which is leased to the government agency who is responsible for them. They do not get tenancies, and have no rights to stay in council accommodation once their case is decided.

You may well ask. Here's a possible scenario: someone registered as a single person in 2002 - 9 years ago. They may have been living with parents, or even flat sharing. Now, they might have a partner, and a family, and are paying rent to a private landlord of at least £400 per month. A council house would cost significantly less in rent (Sheffield average around £60 a week), and after 5 years they can apply to buy at a discount. Hence, some wait it out (years) for a house, rather than bid on maisonettes which they would normally get a bit quicker.

If they don't work and get full housing benefit, they can probably afford to stay where they are up to a certain level of rent. But, if they are working, and getting no housing benefits, then a cheaper rent is obviously attractive.

Lots of people (even owner occupiers :o) register with the council, and build up waiting time. Many councils don't allow this, but Sheffield has an 'open' register. Thats why the numbers of people on it appear ridiculously high. The majority of people on the open housing register never bid on a property.

The majority of social housing (council and housing association) is let to those considered to be in need of housing. Councils have a statutory duty to rehouse people in certain categories - those people will be given a priority which doesn't take into account waiting time.

Just a few more bits of information which people can believe or not:

• People who apply on homeless grounds are checked out, and if they are found to have made themselves intentionally homeless do not get priority for housing. Anyone who wants to see if they are eligible, check it out on the Shelter website: http://england.shelter.org.uk/
  • European and other economic immigrants are not given housing the minute they walk off the plane.
  • Asylum seekers are sometimes housed in council owned accommodation which is leased to the government agency who is responsible for them. They do not get tenancies, and have no rights to stay in council accommodation once their case is decided.

Thank you for clearing this up. Isn't it a bit worrying that people are waiting 9 years? It seems like a target in life is to get a council house.

So it sounds like a lot of the problem is people are too picky with where they live (the maisonette scenario) and wont take the first that comes along?

You all look at it 2d.......... Getting a council house in sheffield in an area you want is a no go!!!! I am a single parent and i was bidding and bidding for 7years with no joy.... was fed up at living with mum and dad! lol

Went to see housing officer in Firth Park Library and was told i wouldn't get a house in my chosen area because shiregreen is owned by sactuary and they have a 20year wait list and i needed at least another 5years for parson cross and sorrounding areas.... I gave up for a few month and thought whats the point in bidding if i cant get one near my family and friends? The housing officer wasn't bothered that i needed my mum so i could work and also my childs nursery was in the area!!! So i had another look and though right make manor ect my number 3 option and im sure you can guess.......

I was offered a 2 bedroomed house lower manor, full refurb, new kitchen,bathroom,boiler,electrics...... I wasn't happy but im getting there now. ALSO BELIEVE it or not rent is way dearer than where i originally wanted to live (JOKE)

Also when i took this house i lost all my 7years bidding history and have had to start again so looks like im stuck here for a few years......

I dont agree ppl can just come over here and get a house whereever its not fair at all, but the government and council system isn't fair, we pay tax for absolutely nothing. If i was any of you just do what i did. BID on everything dont just go for your chosen area im afraid the council dont sympathise with your nneds for wanting that area, look further afield.....

Edited by KatieD1511
not finished

You all look at it 2d.......... Getting a council house in sheffield in an area you want is a no go!!!! I am a single parent and i was bidding and bidding for 7years with no joy.... was fed up at living with mum and dad! lol

Went to see housing officer in Firth Park Library and was told i wouldn't get a house in my chosen area because shiregreen is owned by sactuary and they have a 20year wait list and i needed at least another 5years for parson cross and sorrounding areas.... I gave up for a few month and thought whats the point in bidding if i cant get one near my family and friends? The housing officer wasn't bothered that i needed my mum so i could work and also my childs nursery was in the area!!! So i had another look and though right make manor ect my number 3 option and im sure you can guess.......

I was offered a 2 bedroomed house lower manor, full refurb, new kitchen,bathroom,boiler,electrics...... I wasn't happy but im getting there now. ALSO BELIEVE

But why the desperation for a council house for 7 years? Surely if you were working and living with your parents you could have saved up the money for your own house? Or at least a private rented somewhere?

Thank you for clearing this up. Isn't it a bit worrying that people are waiting 9 years? It seems like a target in life is to get a council house.

So it sounds like a lot of the problem is people are too picky with where they live (the maisonette scenario) and wont take the first that comes along?

Its understandable that people want some control over where they live, and what type of property they live in. Sadly there is a misunderstanding that these choices can regularly be applied to social housing. For real choice, most people have to pay nowadays.

Some folk are also of the opinion that the bidding system somehow disadvantages them. It doesn't. If they were on an old fashioned waiting list, there would be no more properties, and they would be limited to 2 or 3 areas of choice. The majority of properties would still be used for people who are deemed in need.

Many properties that were originally council owned have been sold via right to buy, then sold on to private landlords. This means that neighbours can be paying vastly different rents, with the council tenant paying less but often getting a better service in terms of repairs and maintenance.

But why the desperation for a council house for 7 years? Surely if you were working and living with your parents you could have saved up the money for your own house? Or at least a private rented somewhere?

Do you know how much it is??? I dont get any handouts from government, i have chosen to go to work instead of that to show my daughter the right way of doing things, I pay full nursery costs all on a part time wage!!! Get real the only way i could rent a private property is to claim DSS and theres no way i would do that!!!!

I want to show my daughter you have to work for what you want!!!!!!!!

Do you know how much it is??? I dont get any handouts from government, i have chosen to go to work instead of that to show my daughter the right way of doing things, I pay full nursery costs all on a part time wage!!! Get real the only way i could rent a private property is to claim DSS and theres no way i would do that!!!!

I want to show my daughter you have to work for what you want!!!!!!!!

There's no need to get angry, I just wondered why people were so desperate for council houses.

Yes I do know how much renting privately is thank you.