Change your mind..

Has a thread debate ever changed your mind?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Has a thread debate ever changed your mind?

• Yes
    • No

Have you ever entered a debate on a forum where you already had a point of view, then changed your opinion because of what you've read or debated in the thread?

:roll:

Yes, regularly, that's one of the best things about Sheffield Forum.

Trouble is, you have to enter into debate with an open mind... which is sadly impossible for some.

Have you ever entered a debate on a forum where you already had a point of view, then changed your opinion because of what you've read or debated in the thread?

:roll:

Yep,I once entrerd a debate thinking I was right and when it finished I knew I was .. :)

Yes, on a couple of occasions, when I realised I wasn't as firmly in possession of the facts as I imagined I was at the start.

This is one of the reasons I don't like to see threads being closed, pruned or deleted just because they seem to be becoming a little acrimonious and it scares nanny. Sometimes we need to have a knockdown, drag out, slanging match before we can come to an understanding about issues. :D

There are many threads on here which are just rehashes of the one's closed the day before and i've never seen anyone change their stance.

There are a few who will omit certain points and see the debate from both sides, but there are so many staunch hardliners who will never budge off their line! Tit for tat!

Yeah I remember the thread about that MP when he said that he needed to get a first class ticket because the people in standard were different.

At the time I was like "Ah that's not on", but some of the posts made me think, "Ah actually I think they should be able to claim 1st class"

Yes, on a couple of occasions, when I realised I wasn't as firmly in possession of the facts as I imagined I was at the start.

This is one of the reasons I don't like to see threads being closed, pruned or deleted just because they seem to be becoming a little acrimonious and it scares nanny. Sometimes we need to have a knockdown, drag out, slanging match before we can come to an understanding about issues. :D

ok brace your tools:P

Not directly, but I think it'd be fair to say that some threads on here have broadened my outlook and got me to question some assumptions I've held.

many a time - other peoples points of view help broaden the mind