Cycling megathread

http://results.myway.com/GGmain.jhtml?id=YH&ptb=4423BDE5-942D-4D16-B9F2-74330EB303C8&psa=&ind=2010081409&ptnrS=YH&si=&st=sb&n=&searchfor=lightweight+full+suspension+xc+bicycle+under+%C2%A31000

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/c/650/Full-Suspension-MTB-upto--1000.html

The above 2 links might provide insight into the HT versus FS discussion.....

FS are readily available under £1000, you need to look in the right places...Chain Reaction, Pink Bikes, Rutland any many more.

I ride for Urban Extremists, we ride all disciplines.

My FS was £600 brand new, a Norco B-Line, this year I've got a Specialized Myka HT for £400 brand new, so I have the best of both worlds depending on where I'm riding...

As a side note, i'm wanting to get back in to cycling (trails x country etc.) as I am a bit out of date these days, what am I best getting?

F/s or hard tail?

Been looking at specialized, they now do 27 gears!! does that make a massive difference? Hydrolic discs, or normal cables?

Many Thanks

also mate if u want to let me know a price u may have in mind i might have somethinin in for u in my second hand range of bikes plus i get other stuff in all the time

I have switched to an Alfine 8 speed internal hub set up. Best thing I've ever done. Ridden it through a wet autumn and cold winter in the hills and had no problems at all. At first you think you'll miss 27 speeds - but within those 27 there is a lot of overlap, I get along just fine.

Use a hub geared hybrid for the commute too, again a god send in the winter, everything is sealed away from the abrasive salty "road paste"

Hiya Meshuga.

I've been thinking about getting a hub geared bike for some time but the only ones I've seen are the ridiculously expensive Rolhoff ones. can you tell me more about the ones you have? Also, does the first gear go as low as a conventional one?

Cheers!

I've ridden a dropped bar On One Pompinio to work very day this winter (even on the worst snow days) and its not missed a beat. Alfine 8 speed hub, race face chainset, hub dynamo with disk brake up front. Ive kept metal studded ice/snow tyres on it since October. It'll also handle less tricky off road stuff without a problem (eg getting up to Stanage Pole)

All my shiny nice bikes can spend winter indoors while this get the hammer. In fact im so sold on the 8 speed hub I might even swap the studded tyres for something a bit slicker in the spring and keep using it for utility rides.

I should add the Sheffield Bike Paramedics are using the Alfine 8speed hub so they should be able to report how well it lasts.

lol, OP's a little Alan Sugar. Make a Megathread about cycling and advertise your business on the first post.

Got to admire it.

Cyclists suck.

Hiya Meshuga.

I've been thinking about getting a hub geared bike for some time but the only ones I've seen are the ridiculously expensive Rolhoff ones. can you tell me more about the ones you have? Also, does the first gear go as low as a conventional one?

Cheers!

Sure. My commuter started out as a second hand Carrera Subway 8 years ago. It has slicks on, dynamo lights and hub brakes. The hub is a Nexus. It started out life with an older Nexus with poor seals and eventually rusted inside. The new Nexus hubs with codes SG-8x35 onwards share the same internals and seals as the Alfine 501 model, I.e they are the same except for colour. I honestly will never ever buy or recommend a derailleur bike again, but then it's all down to opinion and experience.

Alfine and Nexus are way cheaper than rohloff. This year there is a new 11 speed Alfine out, so it should be built into bikes soon. That may be worth waiting for. As for range, on my Duster 8 MTB the lowest is as low as my old MTB derailleur, the highest is just a bit lower than a derailleur set up, I.e. top speed is slightly lower, but I don't find it an issue. The gear range is made different on road vs MTB bikes by changing the chainring or sprocket, or both. I find the Subway's range just fine. If you end up buying a hub geared bike and aren't happy with the gear range it's easy enough to change the rear sprocket up or down a tooth.

Great idea for a thread.

I've not really cycled since 2004 but am wanting to get back into it this year.

Have still got a touring bike which will be comfortable once my weights come down. In the meantime I fancy a hybrid that is comfy, strong, lightweight and has straight handlebars. I wouldn't mind an 8 speed hub and disc brakes.

Any recommendations? I've looked at Evans and Orbits sites but can't see anything that looks suitable. I don't think I need suspension.

Thanks.

i had my sons bike in at sheffield cycle repairs about a month or so back and all i can say is he is a really nice lad and did a great job for about half the price of all the other bike places i called so thanks chris:thumbsup: ( its liz buy the way with the bmx bike with the wobbley wheel)

Just want to mention that there are many clubs in Sheffield offering regular group rides - see links below for two of them. Riding with other cyclists is a great way to get (back) into cycling; very motivating compared to going out alone!

Bikes are fine, so long as they are off the road, on the road they are a pain in the arse!! :thumbsup:

By contrast cars are a pain everywhere, or rather ignorant and chauvinistic drivers.

Great idea for a thread.

I've not really cycled since 2004 but am wanting to get back into it this year.

Have still got a touring bike which will be comfortable once my weights come down. In the meantime I fancy a hybrid that is comfy, strong, lightweight and has straight handlebars. I wouldn't mind an 8 speed hub and disc brakes.

Any recommendations? I've looked at Evans and Orbits sites but can't see anything that looks suitable. I don't think I need suspension.

Thanks.

If you can afford it, this is a new Alfine 11 speed hybrid with dynamo lights (local bike builder too)

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPALF11PRO/on-one-pompetamine-alfine-urban-11-speed

Or you could look at one of these, only Alfine 8 speed, which includes mudguards. The 2010 model is slightly cheaper, but without the guards

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-mixer-8-2011/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products