Cycling megathread

hi chris i had the same bike a couple of years ago and it was one of the best bikes i had untill it had a fight with a lorry:hihi: i also ride the chesterfield canal as it is part of the trans pennine trail and goes for miles but im sorry to say its not all nice and flat all the way:sad: and as for a full service mate the price is 50.00 with 15% off for forum members:)

I got a specialized hardback disc. Just wonder what do i get for a £50 service?

For a budget of £500 then definitely go for hardtail - I do loads of extreme trails in white and dark peak, lakes and snowdonia and I have never felt I needed a full sus.

Regarding which one to get, check out Wiggle and look under the bike sale section. Sometimes they do huge discounts, so £7-800 bikes can be got for £4-500.

One of the best bikes though for £500 is Decathlon's Rockrider 8.1. Ignore the bike snobs who say you need a "proper" brand. Decathlon buy in bulk and that bike has some very high specced kit on for the price. Got a good looking frame too. Plus with a store in Sheffield you can go and try one out. Review here

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/rockrider-81-10-39599

Could also check out my post on previous page, but I'm only a female rider....what would I know?!?!?!

P.S Rockrider's ok if you want to go back n forth to Decathlon having repairs done....

Sure. My commuter started out as a second hand Carrera Subway 8 years ago. It has slicks on, dynamo lights and hub brakes. The hub is a Nexus. It started out life with an older Nexus with poor seals and eventually rusted inside. The new Nexus hubs with codes SG-8x35 onwards share the same internals and seals as the Alfine 501 model, I.e they are the same except for colour. I honestly will never ever buy or recommend a derailleur bike again, but then it's all down to opinion and experience.

Alfine and Nexus are way cheaper than rohloff. This year there is a new 11 speed Alfine out, so it should be built into bikes soon. That may be worth waiting for. As for range, on my Duster 8 MTB the lowest is as low as my old MTB derailleur, the highest is just a bit lower than a derailleur set up, I.e. top speed is slightly lower, but I don't find it an issue. The gear range is made different on road vs MTB bikes by changing the chainring or sprocket, or both. I find the Subway's range just fine. If you end up buying a hub geared bike and aren't happy with the gear range it's easy enough to change the rear sprocket up or down a tooth.

Thanks for that.

After reading the input on here and doing a bit of research I'm looking at the Charge Mixer which is pretty much at the top of my price range and the Bianchi Camaleonte III which is a little cheaper. Anyone have any opinions on either of those two?

Thanks for that.

After reading the input on here and doing a bit of research I'm looking at the Charge Mixer which is pretty much at the top of my price range and the Bianchi Camaleonte III which is a little cheaper. Anyone have any opinions on either of those two?

Bikes of that calibre are asking to be stolen, especially in the current climate. I bike it to work everyday and personally I'd only pay about £150, £200 tops, for a bike, so if it gets nicked, its not the end of the world.

I got a specialized hardback disc. Just wonder what do i get for a £50 service?

look on my web site mate at service section, i do more in my full service than u will get at any other bike shop in sheffield for a lot less money plus u get 15% off also, thanks. chris

Edited by Chris hunter

Buy two good locks and be careful were you leave it and then to can have the pleasure of riding a nice bike rather than a piece of junk that will be forever giving you problems.

Speaking of insurance.

Does anyone have any recommendations for high value bikes?

I can see a few from google but thought i would see if any of you lot have anything to say?

I would say avoid...

I have 4 bikes which retail at just over £10k for the lot and the premium insurance companies wanted to charge was £1k basically 10% of the RRP :o

So I plumped for second best, keep bikes in the house chained up with substantial motorbike locks and buy a cheapo £300er for commuting.

I just couldnt bring myself to spend that amount of money on something I would probably not see the benefit for. Rather take the risk, bank the £1k each year just incase any of my babies where to disappear.

I would say avoid...

I have 4 bikes which retail at just over £10k for the lot and the premium insurance companies wanted to charge was £1k basically 10% of the RRP :o

So I plumped for second best, keep bikes in the house chained up with substantial motorbike locks and buy a cheapo £300er for commuting.

I just couldnt bring myself to spend that amount of money on something I would probably not see the benefit for. Rather take the risk, bank the £1k each year just incase any of my babies where to

Edited by strikerPaul

I would say avoid...

I just couldnt bring myself to spend that amount of money on something I would probably not see the benefit for. Rather take the risk, bank the £1k each year just incase any of my babies where to

what bikes do u have mate

Straight out of the blue..dont know if anyones interested but the new cycle speedway season is fast approaching and training has started this week,newcomers are more than welcome and would get full coaching and advice from qualified BC coaches and officials,

Bikes-helmets and protective clothing are provided free of charge by the club,

we'll be at the Cookson park track,just off Wordsworth avenue-opposite 'forty foot pub', every Saturday morning from 11am-1pm

And at the 'Graves' leisure and tennis centre ,starting in a few weeks-evey Saturday mornings.

all ages catered for.