Ecclesfield - Aldi and national fast food chain plans

I was told it will be June - that was said to me in February when I spoke with the site manager. He said they'd finish building by April and shop fitting would take 2 months

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 16:38 ----------

I live on Mill Road, at the traffic light end, and parking is already a nightmare, especially when you've just been food shopping and you have to park half way down the road. Aldi's car park doesn't look very big, and I can only imagine parking getting worse on Mill Road. My question is, is it possible to request a residential parking spot to be put into action, and how would you do it? Does anyone have any experience or ideas for this?

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 09:35 ----------

An Aldi? Are the people of Ecclesfield really that tight?

Aren't they already well served with an Asda and a Morrisons up there :huh:

x

"The people of Ecclesfield" didn't choose to put the Aldi there. I doubt many people in Ecclesfield are that tight considering the prices of houses in that area.

People dont just go to aldi because of price. Plenty of people CHOOSE to go because they like certain products they sell. Plenty of people CHOOSE to go because they prefer the layout, size and service speed over the typical superstores.

The point I was trying make is in response to 'Jason Bourne's comment of people must be tight, as an Aldi is being built

I live on Mill Road, at the traffic light end, and parking is already a nightmare, especially when you've just been food shopping and you have to park half way down the road. Aldi's car park doesn't look very big, and I can only imagine parking getting worse on Mill Road. My question is, is it possible to request a residential parking spot to be put into action, and how would you do it? Does anyone have any experience or ideas for this?

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 09:35 ----------

"The people of Ecclesfield" didn't choose to put the Aldi there. I doubt many people in Ecclesfield are that tight considering the prices of houses in that area.

I really can't see parking overflowing onto the roads around. Surely you get more parking issues from the Church?

The church is at the other end of the road. The main causes of parked cars seem to come from the pharmacy, the chippy and sandwich shop. Even if Aldi's customers don't park on Mill Road, parking is still an issue, and I would be very interested in pursuing a residential parking permit

The church is at the other end of the road. The main causes of parked cars seem to come from the pharmacy, the chippy and sandwich shop. Even if Aldi's customers don't park on Mill Road, parking is still an issue, and I would be very interested in pursuing a residential parking permit

I wouldn't ..........

Time to bring this thread back to life I think. :wave: I might regret this :rant:

It's about a year since Rollems vacated this site and about 6 months since the ALDI opened.

What's the general opinion?

Is the store good for the area?

Is it good for the local residents?

Who uses it, how do you find it?

Has the level of traffic increased greatly (in general not just in the run up the Christmas as we're in now, when it's always busier)?

For my twopenneth - when I've been in I've found it a pretty good experience - if shopping could ever be described that way!!

Sometimes the shelves are not stocked and items are too frequently sold out, granted that usually late in the day.

I've always managed to get parked and I've not noticed a massive increase in traffic, either there or at the traffic lights outside the RBS Bank.

I can be in and out with the few bits and pieces I need in minutes.

As Yorkshire folk we always look for "Value for Money", have to say I feel like I do get this.

Handsworth has fairly recently had an Aldi open near to the 24 hour Asda/ Walmart, which I'm glad of - good prices, good products and I'm in and out in less time!

I also try and support the local shops, but their opening hours don't always fit in with my working hours.