Cooking & Eating Rabbit

I think we should all eat a bit more "wild food" in our diets

I just struggle with inspiriation

On the site I am looking at with the rabbit they are doing special offers on buffalo,wild boar and venison- 3 steaks for £5 which sounded cheap

just no idea what to do with it, Im worried it'd be chewy. Same as roast rabbit- I think i'd be scared of over cooking it

Diced rabbit I have seen sold in the supermarkets was labelled produce of China.

I just struggle with inspiriation

On the site I am looking at with the rabbit they are doing special offers on buffalo,wild boar and venison- 3 steaks for £5 which sounded cheap

just no idea what to do with it, Im worried it'd be chewy. Same as roast rabbit- I think i'd be scared of over cooking it

Its game you can't overcook it, you should cook it long and slow to get the best from it

China produce a lot of "meat" for the export market.... I've tried frozen diced rabbit and found it lacking in flavour and not really very nice.... I agree with discodown, cook it long and slow, add some good flavours and you'll be hard pushed to beat it or go wrong... Live a little, lol!!!!

Same as roast rabbit- I think i'd be scared of over cooking it

Go to a decent butcher who sells rabbit (like I say there are a few in Castle Markets). Get the butcher to portion it up for you - you'll get 6 protions. Then do this....http://love-to-live-to-eat.blogspot.com/2011/02/are-you-bunny-boiler-rabbit-and-garlic.html

It was AMAZING. Honestly, best one yet!

that looks lovely. how many people does a rabbit feed? I googled 'how to joint a rabbit' and cant say it looks nice! but that recipe does

have been in a cooking mood today so bought a rabbit, then buffalo, venison and wild boar steaks. seen some nice caserole recipes

that looks lovely. how many people does a rabbit feed? I googled 'how to joint a rabbit' and cant say it looks nice! but that recipe does

have been in a cooking mood today so bought a rabbit, then buffalo, venison and wild boar steaks. seen some nice caserole recipes

Oh my!! You're on a bit of a roll aren't you?!

That rabbit recipe will feed 4/5 depending on how big the rabbit is - but have lots of carbs to mop the juices up.

Maybe some traditional Italian recipes will give you some tips as to what to do with the wild boar and venison steaks served rare are gorgeous!

Let us know what you end up doing with them all.

I buy rabbit from time to time. I flour it, fry it, then put it in the slow cooker with, mushrooms, onions, celery, pearl barley, stock, salt and pepper. I cook it over several hours, allow it to go cold, then remove all the bones! It is very low in fat, and tates wonderful.!! Must admit, I prefer not to think of domestic bunnies when eating it!!!!!

Oh my!! You're on a bit of a roll aren't you?!

That rabbit recipe will feed 4/5 depending on how big the rabbit is - but have lots of carbs to mop the juices up.

Let us know what you end up doing with them all.

It all arrived today in a big box fresh from devon (none of it frozen)

I was like a kid sorting through it, and have had the best steak for tea. we got 2 8oz rump steaks for £5, which I though was great

anyway.. have had right petty girly moment. Got the rabbit out on the inside, intending to take off its legs, so I can freeze part of it and make seperate meals. but as I moved one of its legs aside, discovered its entire guts and heart lungs etc are all still in

I'm so pathetic..it was just too much for me whilst cooking tonights tea to stomach even with gloves on (although in fairness, I couldnt gut a chicken either!)

but looking forward to trying some of these recipes.. when I stop being a div and get over my squeamishness!

It all arrived today in a big box fresh from devon (none of it frozen)

I was like a kid sorting through it, and have had the best steak for tea. we got 2 8oz rump steaks for £5, which I though was great

anyway.. have had right petty girly moment. Got the rabbit out on the inside, intending to take off its legs, so I can freeze part of it and make seperate meals. but as I moved one of its legs aside, discovered its entire guts and heart lungs etc are all still in

I'm so pathetic..it was just too much for me whilst cooking tonights tea to stomach even with gloves on (although in fairness, I couldnt gut a chicken either!)

but looking forward to trying some of these recipes.. when I stop being a div and get over my squeamishness!

Urgh! Not wanting to gut a rabbit sounds pretty normal to me - not girly. I would not want to do that!! What you gonna do? You seen some guides on the net to help?

I've just gutted my first fish and didn't enjoy that, so really would not fancy a rabbit!

Good find on the rump steaks though!

Well..thats the thing.. I googled... ''how to joint a rabbit'' and there was a video.. absolutely teeth gritting moment when she cracked through its spine..

I phoned my grandad for advice.. not much help as I got the ''when I was a lad'' speech of when he'd catch and gut them at 7years old.. not very helpful..

Definately a glass of wine required I think when I re visit cutting it up tomorrow evening!

I actually had the best fish the other night, just couldnt believe the price- £1.50 for 2 big river cobbler fillets. really was lovely, and the bones werent as difficult as haddock to mess about with

Ok. What is the big deal about eating rabbit? I posted something on Facebook about cooking rabbit and it sparked a bit of a response. One friend asked if I hated vegetarians, another asked me (rather offensively) whether I would be cooking 'baby stew' next.

Wow! That last comment hurt and was quickly deleted but it got me thinking.... are we really all that squeamish about eating rabbit? I have always thought of it as another piece of game. Once it's on my plate, it's no longer a cute little pet. It's food.

In any case lambs are cute aren't they? We'll happily eat them. Bambi pulls at the heart strings, but we'll eat venison.

So what's the big deal with rabbit?

Domestic rabbit meat is different than game rabbit. It is all white meat. The legs have the best, most versatile meat. The meat of the back has a longer grain. Rabbits are delicious roasted whole, or cooked any way you’d cook chicken. I like to deep fry the legs and stew the back in the crock pot. Rabbit is very lean, so some fat may need to be added when cooking, depending on what you’re doing. Rabbit’s internal temp should be 160 degrees when done – don’t overcook it or it’ll get tough. It’s also high protein. From one rabbit, three of us get our fill the first night then hit the leftovers for a couple days.