Is a muti gym as good as free weights?

i used to go to a mates gym that had everything for free weight trainin (smith machine, solid dumbbells, pulleys for triceps, benches for legs the works)

but since starting work my training partner was on a different time frame to me so dont go there any more.

i was thinking of gettin the gear my self but its very un safe if your training alone plus very expensive, so was thinkin of getting a nice multi gym would this be a good alternative ?? :help:

i used to go to a mates gym that had everything for free weight trainin (smith machine, solid dumbbells, pulleys for triceps, benches for legs the works)

but since starting work my training partner was on a different time frame to me so dont go there any more.

i was thinking of gettin the gear my self but its very un safe if your training alone plus very expensive, so was thinkin of getting a nice multi gym would this be a good alternative ?? :help:

Hi Curtis,

I think you may be getting a little confused, or it could be the way you have worded the question.

There are exercises that can be done on a multi gym using free weights.

Laying on the bench section of the multi gym, the “bench press” with the barbell is a free weight exercise.

Laying on the bench and doing dumbbell flys is a free weight exercise.

It has been said that free weights provide a better workout than exercises that use cables with weights attached. Maybe this is where your confusion is. The cable exercises compliment the free weight type exercises and provide variety & variation in my opinion.

Safety: Even training on a multi-gym can have it’s hazards if you go too heavy and don’t use common sense.

Expensive getting the gear? If you buy second hand gear I would say it is not expensive, as there is always equipment coming up. Keep checking on here in the items for sale section, and in Admag on a Sat.

If you are to be training on your own i would suggest a milti gym. It is also worth noting that you will probably lift a lot mor using a multi gym compared to free weights (i used to press 80KG free weight but could do 110KG on the multi gym).

This was all many moons ago though ;)

Not really no. Multi-gyms pin your muscles into one plane of movement and isolate, free weights develop all the assistance muscles. Some multigym movements can actually be quite damaging as well as they force you to move through an unnatural range of movement. That being said they are safer if you are on your own. Have you looked at a commercial gym instead?

A compromise Curtis (if you are still around LOL) would be to get a second hand multi-gym and a few second hand free weights.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Decathlon in Sheff have a selection of steel weights starting from very small weights. I bought some 1kg steel discs to add a bit more weight to my dumbbells so that I can very gradually increase the weight as I go along.

If you are to be training on your own i would suggest a milti gym. It is also worth noting that you will probably lift a lot mor using a multi gym compared to free weights (i used to press 80KG free weight but could do 110KG on the multi gym).

This was all many moons ago though ;)

I am a beginner and I train on my own. Is it good idea to keep doing it independently or I should get some gym coach to help me out. I can't even think to press 80kg now because of my lesser lifting ability.